Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   What do you think the best SKS magazine is? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/what-do-you-think-best-sks-magazine-77516/)

ar15shooter 12-02-2012 01:54 AM

What do you think the best SKS magazine is?

I would like to ask you all what you think the best magazine for the SKS is. Do you think the attached magazine is the best or if not what magazine do you think is better.

SSGN_Doc 12-02-2012 02:02 AM

The original military issued mag is the best mag for reliability.

If you want higher capacity, there were Chinese 20 round mags that were attached just like the original.

If you want to use AK mags, either find one of the less common Chinese SKSs that actually has a mag well built from teh factory to accept AK mags. Other wise if the high capacity and ability to use AK mags is so important...........get an AK.

gunsmoke11 12-02-2012 04:28 AM

The best Chinese SKS mag ever made is the Type 63 20rd with the bolt hold open. I have a couple of them that I use in my Ak when bench shooting. Only problem is they're around $60+ if you can find them. I picked mine up years ago when they were cheap, but should've gotten a few xtra.

hq357 12-02-2012 09:18 AM

Probably the original stripper clips are most reliable

c3shooter 12-02-2012 10:41 AM

There has been enough electricity used posting about problems w/ detachable mags for the SKS to power the city of Armarillo for a month. As already said up there ^^^- stick with the original fixed mag- or buy an AK.

It s like teaching your cat to play poker- even if the cat learns, he will not play well.

HOSSFLY 12-02-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1035539)
There has been enough electricity used posting about problems w/ detachable mags for the SKS to power the city of Armarillo for a month. As already said up there ^^^- stick with the original fixed mag- or buy an AK.

It s like teaching your cat to play poker- even if the cat learns, he will not play well.

Voted "Best to the point hands down most solid true factual reply of the day" :cool:

therewolf 12-02-2012 01:15 PM

The mag the rifle was built with.

Should have a matching serial #...

hq357 12-02-2012 07:58 PM

Stripper clips are more tactical anyway you can carry alot more ammo weighs alot less and they where made for the rifle and they are alot cheaper and inexpensive you can also re use them . But sks magazines on the other hand are big , clunky heavy have a weird ass duckbill and you need to modify your rifle to get it to fit properly requires sanding grinding ect mags might be too lose or too tight also causes misfeeds double feeds and more prone to jaming then the original stripper clips

gunsmoke11 12-02-2012 09:44 PM

ar15shooter, I believe your question was which was the best mag made for the SKS? The best mag made for them was the Type 63. Naturally it was made for the select fire Type 63 rifle, but if you have an SKS that had been converted to accept AK mags then this mag would be fine used in both the SKS and the AK. I've been using them for years in my AK and found them to be totally reliable and convenient with the bolt hold open. If your rifle is the standard SKS then you should use it as is. These 2 websites will answer all your questions regarding this.
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_63_assault_rifle
www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=48971.0

Juzi9mm 12-25-2012 03:52 AM

my norinco triangle 26 has the stock 10 rounder in it, i have had terrible luck with duck bill mags, but who needs em anyway, i now have an AK.