What AK will you buy now?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > What AK will you buy now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
CJx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default What AK will you buy now?

With Obama banning imports of Kalashnikov rifles i.e. Saiga, what options are out there for good AKs now? Century? Really pissed about not having easy access to Saigas now.

Obvious choices are Arsenal, Century C39, Yugos, WASRs. If that the extent of available options? I'm not sure.

Last edited by CJx; 10-07-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #2

Liked 561 Times on 379 Posts

Sorry but they found a way around it saigas are available

Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
Sorry but they found a way around it saigas are available
Really? Still being imported? All the Saiga IZ-132s I was looking at have gone up in price and are marketed as "banned." Also why would you be sorry for that lol.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2016

Was a Yugo/Serbian fan before, still a Yugo/Serbian fan.
M70ab1 or 2, Npap, or Opap.
Not a better ak for the price.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 10-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

The market is being flooded with people that were trying to make a buck and bought them before the ban went in to act .now they are panicking because Seiga's are coming back.
Their way around that they just sold 75 per cent of the business to outside of Russia now they're open for sale

Old 10-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
CJx

Quote:
The market is being flooded with people that were trying to make a buck and bought them before the ban went in to act .now they are panicking because Seiga's are coming back.
Their way around that they just sold 75 per cent of the business to outside of Russia now they're open for sale
Hm. I need to find a IZ-132 for sale from import outside of Russia then. Any links? Or I could just put together a PSA AR-15 for $515.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Was a Yugo/Serbian fan before, still a Yugo/Serbian fan.
M70ab1 or 2, Npap, or Opap.
Not a better ak for the price.
I read that many people shy away from Century Arms because the quality is hit or miss. Apparently with yugo rifles the BCG was made for single stack mags. Century reportedly fixed this in gen 2. Not sure if later model Yugos still have issues.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3668 Times on 2521 Posts
Likes Given: 1809

Quote:
Ez2b gets the daily Urban Legend Master award.

The Saiga is made at Kalashnikov, the former Izhmash. There is no way in hell it it gets a foreign ownership. Even if it did, it would still be imported from Russia, and therefore banned by the sanctions.

There is no "comeback". The Saigas are available, because the market basically shrugged them off. Most American assembled AK's are better, and don't require a conversion to accept standard mags. The Saiga trigger is crap compared to the widely used Tapco unit. The Saigas are never optics ready. All they have going for them is the pedigree and the stamps.

If I were buying today, I would consider a Serbian Zastava PAP vs the latest Century products. A stainless steel bolt carrier and a bolt stop are two of the things to be appreciated about the Zastava.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #9

Alright man I'm on my phone I don't know how to post a link

Old 10-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3668 Times on 2521 Posts
Likes Given: 1809

Just say what it was, I'll look it up