What about an SKS? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > What about an SKS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
I have one set up with a scope
I have been told that the design of the SKS prevented it from accepting scopes or red dot sights. How did you mount the one on your rifle?

No guns, no peace.
Know guns, know peace.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #12

You can get a receiver cover with a mount for rails. I picked one up at a show years ago, it came with a tri-rail.

Chance favors the prepared mind

Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #13

Thanks, tsweep,
I'll check out that option.

No guns, no peace.
Know guns, know peace.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:01 AM   #14

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
Do they use only the 5 round mag that comes on it or can it use 30 round mags without modification?
TheSKS can use a larger mag but it depends on the model what mag it can use. Most can use an aftermarket mag made for the SKS that holds more. There are a couple types the Chinese M type being one of them that can use an AK mag.
Like mine!

Orange..I used to have that same scope mount. I could never get it to sit still so I changes to a different type and mounted it on a handguard rail

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #15

Default Sks

I agree with robocop10mm the Russian ones are the best and cost the most. The Chinese are second best and you will need to shop around like everything else to find the best price. The way I understand it is some have barrells that are pinned in and others have barrels that are threaded. I do not know which ones are what way, someone here at FTF should know.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #16

Likes Given: 1

Default scope

I have the scope mount that attached on the side of the receiver its just a little red dot but it fun and pretty accurate

Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #17

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The Russian Simonovs are the originals and have the best reputation. They are also the most expensive.

The Chinese Norincos are good rifles. Not fancy, not Mil-surp, but new commercial manufacture for the US market. They work...well.

The Yugo's look cool, but they are actual surplus rifles that may have been abused. I see more problems and hear more complaints about the Yugos. They are the only ones available in decent quanity.

Go Norinco for the best shooter for the buck.
Go for a AK47, its all around the best assault around just ask someone whos been shot at by one.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default SKS Not a Bad pick

Hello all, RON L here

I saw the post, while I no longer own an SKS, I have owned a few Norenco China made SKS, a couple of Different Russian Siminov Carbines dated 1951 and 1953, as well as I owned for a short time a Yugo, with a very nicly done Trech art screne onthe stock!

I have shot the Russiand, agains the Norenco China made ones and even a few Yugo's and a Buddies rare Albanain, knw what? At 200 yards and less, theier was not a great deal of difference in thier shooting ability nor accuracy? The Yugo, as well as the Russian feels better and is heavier, but for the $, I fo8und the Norenco ones for what I paid to be the best value!

Yes, you can moodify the 10 rnd box internal mag and add 20, 30 and even 40 rnd and Drum magazines to the SKS BUT WHY? It's quite easy and quick to re-lload using stripper clips, it's well ballanced and carries well? Once you sart adding aftermarket suff they seem to lose a lot of that, to me anyhow?

These are fun little carbines and yes if you get a Coyboy model or Model "M" they take AK mags! These cost considerably more, are hader to find and all! Good luck and have fun with it these are made for it!

RON

Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #19

I love my SKS, Fun to shoot and ammo is still fairly cheap. If you search around you can still get a decent shooter for under 250 bucks.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #20

since you said that your price range would be about 450, i suggest you go handle a few sks 's and ak's and get what ever rings your bell. we have a couple places around here selling ak's for less than that. i have 2 sks's and my son has an ak. i like the sks's but the ak really is handier. i may be picking up an ak in the near future. also, both sks's will shoot circles around the ak as far as accuracy.