WASR AK's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > WASR AK's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default WASR AK's

Hey everyone.
I see that many of you have the WASR AK's and I have yet to hear any real "bad" things about them.
I am thinking of selling one of my hunting rifles to get one.
All I am really looking for is a straight up utility rifle. Not looking to knock the nuts off a gnat at 200 yards or anything like that. Just something that is a hoot to shoot and is reliable to have on hand that can shoot 7.62x39 rounds. I already have 600-700 rounds from back when I owned an SKS, i just never got rid of them.
I figure in a SHTF situation it would be handy to have a reliable 30 cal. to do what is needed. I have 3 AR's for accuracy and I also have my M1 carbine and of course my Remmy 700's for even longer shots.
I am thinking the WASR is the hot set up for me. I have no intent to change anything, just keepin in factory finished.
Opinions?

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For its intended purpose a WASR would serve/suit you well. The AK is like my Mosin Nagant; well built, rugged, reliable, good looking (in my opinion), and serves it purpose extremely well.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #3

Liked 1421 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have a WASR and love it. There are a few things I would/did do to improve reliability. (Get rid of the Shepard's crook for one!)

You will enjoy this hoot-n-shoot gun.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #4

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

I've had my WASR for five years and no problems. Only things I've done is cut off the muzzle nut and screw on a flash hider and sand/put tung oil on the stocks. Cheap and it's a fun gun that will do what you're describing.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Mine is a Hoot to Shoot. Get one and have fun.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #6

for a cheap ''what ever'' gun the wasr is great. I have never had a problem with mine. For a good quality ak I would spend the extra and go milled receiver instead of stamped

Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My first Ak was a WASR love it

Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 502

I have had a WASR now for over a year and have had no problems with it. It was a good price for what it does, ammo isin't that expensive and its reliable.

Sure there are more expensive AK varients but I think the WASR is a good bang for the buck. Also there are plenty of companies that offer accesories for it, I know you are planing on keeping it stock, but its good to know you can custimize down the road.

See the problem I have with this place, is that its like alcaholics meeting at a bar! You ask us if you should buy a gun and we all jump on it like a hobo on a ham sandwhich, so on that note, why not?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #9

Oh I know, any time if one asks about buying a gun all say HELL YEAH!
I also know that if it is a gun that is legal to purchase in the US someone on this board either had it or has it. To that end I also know if it has a history of issues, someone will speak up and make mention of it.
The rifle I plan on selling is a few hundred more than the WASR so I will be able to stock up on mags and ammo. Before I do that, I just wanted to ensure I was not buying something that works for 1000 rounds then needs to be rebuilt or turns to a paperweight.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #10

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Just a tip, the WASR 10-63 with the chinese triangle are high qual and made out of mil spec parts.

imagescall6jfd.jpg