Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Wasr-10 Stock (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/wasr-10-stock-23222/)

User Name 02-09-2010 06:06 PM

Wasr-10 Stock

I have a bone stock Wasr-10 with the unfinished wood stock and foregrip. I was thinking of putting a black synthetic stock and foregrip on it. What would be my best bet for the money, and how much $ do you think it would run?

diggsbakes 02-09-2010 08:16 PM

Don't know what your wood looks like, but the last WASR I picked up, I sanded down the furniture very well and applied a few coats of your regular walnut stock finish until it came out deep red, then apply either varnish, or several coats of stock finish oil until you reach your desired gloss. That'll cost you about $10. Or if you want synthetic Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes — MidwayUSA has some options.

orangello 02-09-2010 08:33 PM

I have a buddy who changed his furniture out for Tapco stuff. He has an adjustable stock now with a better fit for non-midgets. He also gained some picatinny rails on the handguard/forestock. He kept his wood furniture for later. The plastic seems more durable & he doesn't worry about messing it up as much as he did the wood. The collapsable buttstock also allows him more variety in bags via a reduction in overall length. His is a WASR-10.

I'm not sure what brand magazines he uses, but they are clear plastic to allow you to visually see how many rounds you have left, pretty cool IMO.

Shihan 02-09-2010 10:28 PM

I got the ATI Strikeforce set from Cheaper than Dirt. They have gone up 10 bucks since I got them. They look nice and feel good.
AKS-520 - AK-47 Strikeforce Collapsible Side Folding Buttstock with Pistol Grip Handguards and Buttpad

afi1 02-10-2010 03:53 AM

If you're getting an adjustable "M4" style stock, get a Command Arms Accessories over a TAPCO. The TAPCO is slanted down and feels cheaper. The CAA comes straight back and is rock solid. Cheaperthandirt has them.

User Name 02-10-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 227495)
Don't know what your wood looks like, but the last WASR I picked up, I sanded down the furniture very well and applied a few coats of your regular walnut stock finish until it came out deep red, then apply either varnish, or several coats of stock finish oil until you reach your desired gloss. That'll cost you about $10. Or if you want synthetic Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes MidwayUSA has some options.

I like this one quite a bit. That would work for the WASR right? Also how hard are they to install?

diggsbakes 02-10-2010 08:19 PM

Are you referring to the synthetic? If so the hardest part is removing the original stock with out too much damage. Mine was so tight I had to put the receiver in a vise and beat/pry the stock out of the receiver. Just be sure to use some kind of protection between the mallet/hammer and wood. The hand-guard removal is simple just look up an AK manual on the web or order one from Midway for about $3.99 you'll need it in the case you ever want a better trigger or what not.

User Name 02-10-2010 08:22 PM

Ok thanks alot. Yes I was refering to the synthetic stock.

diggsbakes 02-10-2010 08:29 PM

No problem! Just be sure to hang on to that wood furniture. Never know when you might want to go back to the original look. I know the stock is short, but if you slap and 1 1/2" wrap around extension on it, it feels much better. :)

orangello 02-10-2010 10:51 PM

My buddy argued with me that his WASR had the "milled" receiver, and he ordered the buttstock for a "milled" receiver. I tried to tell him they weren't talking about the magazine well that gets enlarged to accomodated doublestack mags, but he wouldn't listen. He actually got the part to fit, after about two hours of "adjusterizing" it. He has since replaced it with the proper "for stamped receiver" version. I think the back of the receiver is slanted on the "milled receiver" AK's.

Yes, i LOL'd at him repeatedly.