Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   WASR 10-63 Project rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/wasr-10-63-project-rifle-51178/)

zepman 11-05-2011 01:11 AM

WASR 10-63 Project rifle

I have owned and collected military firearms for most of my 50 years. Living in California has not made that easy. ESPECIALLY when it got around to the AK-47.
Anyway, I had seen the WASR rifles at gunshows and thought there were some pretty nice rifles out there if you handpicked your gun BUT I had read so much negative stuff about them I avoided them until the price made it worth the risk of being a wallhangar.
Last year when they hit the 300 mark I hit a gun show and looked at approx. 15 rifles before choosing mine.
At least half had the canted front sight I had read about, more then half had wood that looked like it came from a toilet seat BUT other than that everyone of them had perfect bores and typical AK fit and finish. Not NEAR the crap they have been represented to be on forums.IN FACT I was pleasently suprised.
So I grab the gem of the bunch.............
Here is the rifle as received:
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...pman/gloss.jpg
Pretty nice rifle and the only modification made immedietly was to file the dust cover a bit to ease breakdown and assembly. I gathered up my shooting gear by the back door to make a range trip the following morning. Late that night I took the dogs out back and when stepping back inside I slipped on the damp tile floor and fell on top of the shooting gear. When I woke up (yes it knocked my dumb ass out) I knew instantly I had broken my ribs. My left lower ribs had landed directly on an ammo can and the ammo can won:D
For those who have never experienced the joy of broken ribs ESPECIALLY lower ones they hurt beyond beleif and breathing, coughing etc is torture.
Needless to say, I wasnt in the mood to shoot after the Emergency room visit nor any time in the near future.
I used the recovery time to modify the WASR.
Upper lower handguards are MAKO (I have a brand new in the box spare if any of you guys want to buy cheap send me message)
Stock and grip are Tapco
Paint is rustoleum Military Flats
These come with the Tapco G 2 trigger which after a light honeing turned in to an superb trigger for this gun.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...10218-0712.jpg

So I finally get it to the range last weekend and after my 100 round break in procedure I was getting some damn nice groups and hitting every bowling pin and gong at 75 and 50 yards first shot everytime. It is one of my finest shooting Semi auto rifles and in fact outperforms my Mini 14, SKS and gives my Garand a run for the money(I know its a miracle:))

Here is a pic of my 75 yard target. I only had silouette targets so I used 3 aim points blue cross on head, blue cross on chest and red dot on throat. I fired 5 shots at each slow fire. Top aim point(head) from bench other two freehand standing.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...1-02135732.jpg

I had the one flyer from bench that ruined a 1.5 inch group. I have fired many AK's(including USA milled receiver models) none shoot as well as this sucker. I am so pleased at the way it shoots, I intend to use it to take a deer next season to show people that there is a sporting use for these firearms...................John

Cornhusker 11-09-2011 10:11 PM

Nice paint job
What did you use?

therewolf 11-10-2011 06:47 PM

Hi zepman,

Welcome to FTF.

I think you may be in the wrong business.

That is one beautiful camo job.

orangello 11-10-2011 08:47 PM

That is beautiful!
How did you manage that in Cali? :confused:

Lessdragon 11-10-2011 08:52 PM

MAKO Guards

How much did you want to sell the spare mako handguards for? I just picked my own wasr10 a week ago and as you said it is a superb gun for all the negative reviews on the web.

Quentin 11-15-2011 08:45 PM

Nice work while you convalesced, Zepman, glad you like your WASR! I've had mine for 5 years and still no complaints though I also cherry picked mine out of a bunch at a gun show. Being older, mine had a welded muzzle nut and filed off bayonet lug. The only mods I've done to mine were filing off the nut and screwing on a flash hider and rubbing tung oil into the wood.

Lots of dislike of the WASR and Century on the net but they're a real bargain if you check it out first (as you should with any firearm). I now have 5 Century imports and not a lick of trouble with any of them.

shnorse 11-16-2011 03:19 AM

i had went to Herb Philipsons for my WASR 10... grabbed the first one and removed the dust cover for inspection, no body could get it back on, the one guy tried to use a hammer, still no go.... so i went to the seccond one, and that one the magazine was REALLY tight, to the point that the mag wouldnt go in without force... and the third one also had a problem, cant recall anymore... then i found the one i bought, mags are not sloppy or tight and everything works perfect... the front sight it canted to the side but it is adjusted to be accurate enough within 100 yards i dont see it being a problem...

don't be afraid to tear it apart and inspect EVERYTHING....

zepman 11-19-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornhusker (Post 623596)
Nice paint job
What did you use?

Rustoleum flats;)

zepman 11-22-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 624428)
That is beautiful!
How did you manage that in Cali? :confused:

I am not sure what you mean BUT it was returned to its (bullit button/10 round mag)California configuration right after this picture. Is that what you mean?...........

zepman 11-22-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lessdragon (Post 624433)
How much did you want to sell the spare mako handguards for? I just picked my own wasr10 a week ago and as you said it is a superb gun for all the negative reviews on the web.

send me a offer and we will see if we can make it happen.......Trade? I need more 10 round ak mags.....etc