Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Want a Good Cheek Weld with Your Wire Folding Stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Want a Good Cheek Weld with Your Wire Folding Stock?

About 9 years ago, I put a wire folding stock on my Romanian SAR-1. After the honeymoon period had ended, I began to miss not having a cheek weld.

I considered buying various other folding stocks, including some of the skeletonized ones, but just could not bring myself to pay as much, if not more, for a stock than what my AK originally cost.

Then just recently, I read a post about a riser designed to fit onto a folding wire stock and give a good cheek weld. It was made by a company called AMD-65 Tech.

For $37 bucks, including shipping, I decided to try one of the risers. What I found is that the riser is well designed, made from solid steel, finished out nicely, and works as advertised. Its weight is negligible.

In talking with the owner of the company, I learned the risers are not a one-model-fits-all design. Each riser is designed and manufactured on-site by the owner to fit a specific type of wire folding stock. The models currently available are designed specifically for the AMD-65, East German, and Romanian wire folding stocks (the models for the East German wire stock and the Romanian wire stock are not interchangeable). Soon to be available, if not already, is a riser for the Polish Tantal.

If you’ve wanted a good cheek weld with your wire folding stock, take a look at the risers offered by AMD-65 Tech, Home.

Jim Fuller, of Rifle Dynamics, uses the AMD-65 Tech risers and has written a very positive review that you can read at: Articles & Info.

And while, you’re at the site, check out the other products that are offered as well. Some are unique and will not be found elsewhere.

Below are pictures of the folding wire stock on my SAR-1 with and without the riser installed.

I took the rifle to the range today and came to the same conclusions as did Jim Fuller as to the quality and reliability of the riser.

No guns, no peace.
Know guns, know peace.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Or, a paracord wrap...

Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

I had the paracord wrap until I got the riser. The paracord made the wire stock more comfortable but for me, it did not provide an appropriate cheek rest.

No guns, no peace.
Know guns, know peace.