Want an AK around tax time

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Want an AK around tax time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 697 Times on 360 Posts

Default Want an AK around tax time

So Here's the deal, I live in Colorado and don't have access to high cap mags anymore but before the new laws passed I was able to get my hands on lots of Tapco AK mags. So my number one concern is getting an AK with the most consistency for accepting the Tapco poly mags well without too much wobble. Second is I think foremost I want some pretty red wood furniture but at the same time I know I'll want to mod it at some point. Given that, which "commercial" AK's are most consistent with accepting quality aftermarket parts without too much fuss? Lastly it must shoot sub MOA at 9736 yards blindfolded standing on one hand while doing a yoga warrior three pose!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #2

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Yeah,..... About that last part...

Old 12-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 697 Times on 360 Posts

Ok, the third part isn't that important...

Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Most are pretty similar really. You can pay extra for a really nice one like an Arsenal, or a Saiga conversion. The Yugo PAP types are solidly built but don't have chromed bores. The WASRs are kind of hit or miss as far as quality goes. If you check out a WASR and get one that has no canted sights or gas block, then they seem pretty good. The Norinco and Polytech versions that are no longer imported were pretty good too, they use a bit heavier metal and barrels but they used bluing instead of parkerizing.

As far as the fitting if accessories goes, the Arsenal and WASR are probably the most common.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I bought a saiga 7.62 in standerd form and converted it myself. No mag wobble at all. Only thing I've had problems with is rapid fire it will chamber a round but won't fire just rerack and go again.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

One of the reasons I went with a wasr despite spotty qc issues with assembly is they are the ones that accept the highest amount of aftermarket accessories. Just hand pick by removing the bolt carrier and gas tube, look down the bore and tube and sights and see if the image of a distant object aligns in all three.

The wasr 10/63 is a basic ak that works well if you hand pick.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-18-2013 at 03:10 PM.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

I'm a fan of Arsenal AK's, but that's mostly because they work and the overwhelming majority have been properly manufactured.

It is possible to obtain a WASR that was put together correctly, but in order to know this, you actually have to lay your hands on it.

For that matter, any rifle you'd trust your life to should have been hand inspected by numero uno.

I wouldn't get hung up on the furniture. You can get wood if you really need it, but there's nothing wrong with plastic.