TWS DogLeg Rail review; My AK mount solution
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > TWS DogLeg Rail review; My AK mount solution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default TWS DogLeg Rail review; My AK mount solution

I bought my WASR-10/63 when I was like 19 and over the time I’ve owned it, it has become my primary go to personal defense rifle. Slowly but surely I’m widdling things down to my specific needs and wants. One of the main things I had to do was mount a reliable scope.

I wanted to let people know about my thoughts on the Texas Weapon System’s DogLeg Rail.

This wasn’t my first AK rail. I’ve tried the side mount from UTG, that was a big mistake since the optic of anything would sit 4 inches higher than the barrel and 2 inches above my eye’s natural placement.
That roughly cost me about $40

My next step was the Krebs custom rail system. I liked this rail system, however it didn’t like me. My eyes aren’t as good as they could be, sighting in two different aperture sights I tend to not know if it was me or the sight that needed adjusting. I was tempted to just set it close to point of impact and leave it since I’d probably never use the iron sights anyways, however I’m a perfectionist so I decided to try a different system.
Unfortunately that set me back $300.

The Texas Weapon System DogLeg rail was my answer. Here’s the breakdown:

Retailing at the time I bought it around $130 it wasn’t as expensive as the Krebs rail. This particular rail system replaces your rear sight and dust cover with an aluminum railed dust cover. You have to replace your take-down button at the rear of your receiver with the supplied take-down button that makes the TWS rail able to reset zero each time you open and close it. The TWS rail does come with an optional aperture that attaches by screwing onto the rail for a rear sight.

Installation of the TWS rail—
Installation wasn’t near as easy as I thought. The instructions are murky on the fact you have to keep a leaf spring under the front portion of the rail. My leaf spring was just a tad too long to accommodate the rail and get it on easily.

After taking the leaf spring and grinding down the tip of it and keeping it cool so not to lose the springs tempering I finally got the spring to fit correctly and still apply upward force on the mount.
The nice thing about the TWS rail is it isn’t set at one length, you have two allen screws that allow for varying length receivers and tightness on the take-down button. The installation of the new take-down button wasn’t hard, a monkey can do it.

Adjusting the tension on the mount’s two allen screws to have a firm amount of tension wasn’t hard either. The cover needed to snap on with a smart downward whack but not have go on with a light amount of pushing nor need a muscle man to close the rail system onto the take-down button.
The optional rear sight secures to the rail system with a single allen screw once you’ve slid the sight onto the rail.

Pros for TWS DogLeg rail—
Doesn’t increase weight that much.
Looks like it belongs on the rifle.
Finish matches new Parkerizing well.
Allows return to zero for any optic put on the rail as long as rail is installed correctly.
Near full length receiver rail vs small piece of rail like the side mounts.
Fits economic priced AKs like the WASR-10.

Cons for TWS DogLeg rail—
The rear sight does not adjust at all and it tends to rattle like a pissed off old rattlesnake.
Only one selection of aperture thickness, of course that can be fixed with a drill bit of the right size and some black paint.
Does not fit all styles of AK just yet.

My conclusion---
Considering I don’t mind not having an aperture style rear sight I like this rail. I’ve got a 30mm 1-4x power Bushnell scope with a German #4 reticle in it. The price point is great, and the installation and set up can be fairly easy. I recently got my WASR-10 re-parked by a friend that needed a job for school. He did an excellent job and the anodizing on the TWS rail matches great.
I’m enjoying the rifle much more now that I have an optic mounted to it and I’m much more accurate thanks to the rail letting me mount an optic. I’d recommend giving the TWS rail a try if it fits your criteria.

As a side note I did leave off my rear-sight since I wont be using it that often. What I did instead was use the ears that stick up on the rear-sight’s trunion and centered up my front sight to hit point of impact of the large front sight ball when it is in the center of imaginary line that connects the tops of the two ears on the rear sight, kind of like a really wide open set of pistol sights. Thankfully the ears of the front sight help with speeding the aiming process up.

Thanks for reading.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

AleksiR Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Very good review, great info!