Is tula ammo bad for barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Is tula ammo bad for barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is tula ammo bad for barrel?

I'm buying a saiga .223 rifle in 5 days from now and I went out and bought a couple hundred rounds and I bought 100 rounds of TULA. I cut one of the bullets and I noticed it was steel underneath the copper jacket. Is that normal for some ammo to have a steel jacket underneath the copper one?. Also, is that going to be bad on the barrel?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My opinion no but, it is “dirty” and cleaning a must.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Tula ammo is junk, it is under powered, I had my AR zeroed with Silver Bear ammo & using the tula it was hitting about 3' low at 100yds.
And it is lacquer coated ammo, the lacquer will build up in the chamber causing the spent cases to jam or not extract from the chamber.
After having to use a cleaning rod to beat out a stuck round from the chamber I gave away about 200rds of tula ammo & went back to using Silver Bear. So the Tula may not be bad for your barrel, but having to beat spent rounds out of the chamber IS BAD FOR YOUR BARREL!
If you look around you can get Silver Bear for the same price or less than the Tula junk.
Try here,
http://shop.militaryshooters.com/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=140211&pid=1030060

Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2126 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 634

I ran 40 rounds of Tula through my Mini and had nothing but problems. They are very inconsistent in setting the depth on their primers. I had 16 ftf in 40 rounds. They all fired on restrike but it is a pita when you have to sit there for 30 seconds each time or so in case it is a hang fire. I had no failures with Wolf an Silver Bear. You can get 1k Wolf for under $250 shipped. Silver and Golden Bear has been a little harder to find lately. I am running into a lot of "out of stock".

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

No its not bad for the barrel its copper jacketed , secondly I have only had 2 fail to fire out of 1000+ rds in a AR with Tula . Im not sure where people keep coming up with this laquer coating , they dont do that anymore unless your using really old ammo , I had some dated 11/08 and it was not laquer coated either,The only thing I have shot recently that was laquer coated was a box of 20 of russian golden tiger and I had no issues with it either . As far as underpowered I have chrongraphed wolf, Tula, AE, remington and winchester the variance was minimal less than 60 fps of any of them and Im thinking all of them were 55 gr except the wolf which were 62 gp HPs . I need to do it again and write them all down for future reference but If my mind serves me right the Winchester were the fastest of them all I ran thru the Chrono .
Some guns will not cycle steel ammo , either they are under gassed or have other issues but there shouldnt be any reason a properly set up gun shoudnt shoot steel cased ammo

Last edited by purehavoc; 03-03-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I recently ran 150 rounds of tulammo through my 1911 without a hiccup. It was easily as accurate as I am, and I didn't notice it being any dirtier than any other ammo I've used in the past.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Tula makes great training/plinking ammo. I like it and shoot the heck out of it. Junk, definitely not but lighter shooting for sure. If you're having to beat spent casing out of your rifle you probably need to get out the reamer and bring your chamber to spec.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Tula makes great training/plinking ammo. I like it and shoot the heck out of it. Junk, definitely not but lighter shooting for sure. If you're having to beat spent casing out of your rifle you probably need to get out the reamer and bring your chamber to spec.
+1!!!
There is nothing wrong with Tula besides it being dirty (but no dirtier than Winchester White Box ammo)....
Also the entire lacquer coated ammo causing buildup in the chamber thing is an urban myth. You can test this by taking a spent casing and hitting that with a welding torch. The lacquer will burn and turn to black ash before it will "melt" off or drip off.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

I think it's probably safe to say that while most

combloc ammo is more corrosive,

immediate and thorough barrel cleaning

of any fired rifle is a good idea.

IME, Tula ammo has been dirty,

difficult, if not impossible, to reload,

and as dependable as any other cheap

ammo...

Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
I think it's probably safe to say that while most

combloc ammo is more corrosive,

immediate and thorough barrel cleaning

of any fired rifle is a good idea.

IME, Tula ammo has been dirty,

difficult, if not impossible, to reload,

and as dependable as any other cheap

ammo...
U guess I need to change my ways as I didn't get the immediate cleaning memo.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."