Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Is tula ammo bad for barrel? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/tula-ammo-bad-barrel-59328/)

VASH1456 03-03-2012 09:36 AM

Is tula ammo bad for barrel?

I'm buying a saiga .223 rifle in 5 days from now and I went out and bought a couple hundred rounds and I bought 100 rounds of TULA. I cut one of the bullets and I noticed it was steel underneath the copper jacket. Is that normal for some ammo to have a steel jacket underneath the copper one?. Also, is that going to be bad on the barrel?

rigjumpr 03-03-2012 09:42 AM

My opinion no but, it is “dirty” and cleaning a must.

7.62 Man 03-03-2012 02:02 PM

Tula ammo is junk, it is under powered, I had my AR zeroed with Silver Bear ammo & using the tula it was hitting about 3' low at 100yds.
And it is lacquer coated ammo, the lacquer will build up in the chamber causing the spent cases to jam or not extract from the chamber.
After having to use a cleaning rod to beat out a stuck round from the chamber I gave away about 200rds of tula ammo & went back to using Silver Bear. So the Tula may not be bad for your barrel, but having to beat spent rounds out of the chamber IS BAD FOR YOUR BARREL!
If you look around you can get Silver Bear for the same price or less than the Tula junk.
Try here,
http://shop.militaryshooters.com/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=140211&pid=1030060

JTJ 03-03-2012 02:22 PM

I ran 40 rounds of Tula through my Mini and had nothing but problems. They are very inconsistent in setting the depth on their primers. I had 16 ftf in 40 rounds. They all fired on restrike but it is a pita when you have to sit there for 30 seconds each time or so in case it is a hang fire. I had no failures with Wolf an Silver Bear. You can get 1k Wolf for under $250 shipped. Silver and Golden Bear has been a little harder to find lately. I am running into a lot of "out of stock".

purehavoc 03-03-2012 03:55 PM

No its not bad for the barrel its copper jacketed , secondly I have only had 2 fail to fire out of 1000+ rds in a AR with Tula . Im not sure where people keep coming up with this laquer coating , they dont do that anymore unless your using really old ammo , I had some dated 11/08 and it was not laquer coated either,The only thing I have shot recently that was laquer coated was a box of 20 of russian golden tiger and I had no issues with it either . As far as underpowered I have chrongraphed wolf, Tula, AE, remington and winchester the variance was minimal less than 60 fps of any of them and Im thinking all of them were 55 gr except the wolf which were 62 gp HPs . I need to do it again and write them all down for future reference but If my mind serves me right the Winchester were the fastest of them all I ran thru the Chrono .
Some guns will not cycle steel ammo , either they are under gassed or have other issues but there shouldnt be any reason a properly set up gun shoudnt shoot steel cased ammo

trip286 03-03-2012 04:22 PM

I recently ran 150 rounds of tulammo through my 1911 without a hiccup. It was easily as accurate as I am, and I didn't notice it being any dirtier than any other ammo I've used in the past.

mjkeat 03-03-2012 06:58 PM

Tula makes great training/plinking ammo. I like it and shoot the heck out of it. Junk, definitely not but lighter shooting for sure. If you're having to beat spent casing out of your rifle you probably need to get out the reamer and bring your chamber to spec.

bartwatkins 03-04-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 727657)
Tula makes great training/plinking ammo. I like it and shoot the heck out of it. Junk, definitely not but lighter shooting for sure. If you're having to beat spent casing out of your rifle you probably need to get out the reamer and bring your chamber to spec.

+1!!!
There is nothing wrong with Tula besides it being dirty (but no dirtier than Winchester White Box ammo)....
Also the entire lacquer coated ammo causing buildup in the chamber thing is an urban myth. You can test this by taking a spent casing and hitting that with a welding torch. The lacquer will burn and turn to black ash before it will "melt" off or drip off.

therewolf 03-04-2012 07:51 PM

I think it's probably safe to say that while most

combloc ammo is more corrosive,

immediate and thorough barrel cleaning

of any fired rifle is a good idea.

IME, Tula ammo has been dirty,

difficult, if not impossible, to reload,

and as dependable as any other cheap

ammo...

mjkeat 03-04-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf
I think it's probably safe to say that while most

combloc ammo is more corrosive,

immediate and thorough barrel cleaning

of any fired rifle is a good idea.

IME, Tula ammo has been dirty,

difficult, if not impossible, to reload,

and as dependable as any other cheap

ammo...

U guess I need to change my ways as I didn't get the immediate cleaning memo.