Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > trying to narrow my choices.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default trying to narrow my choices.....

well im need help narrowing down some choises..... and since most of them are aks i thought this would be the place.... ok here they are

1. yugo m70 underfolder century build $450
2. romanian RPK aes-10 (non B model) $450
3. romanian sar-1 $475
4. century build sporterised FAL $550.
5. keep saving and hope to find an RPK74
6. keep saving and buy a PLS
7. buy ammo

what do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Think you just need to figure out what grabs you by the yoohoos the most and buy that one.

slo

Old 09-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Think you just need to figure out what grabs you by the yoohoos the most and buy that one.

slo
yes ou are correct, but they all tickle my fancy, so im hoping that with some info on them i can narrow them down...... im hoping someone will say somthing like "dont by that model it has this problem" or "that price i way to high for that gun" or somthing of that sort.... that way i could narrow the list.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelblaster View Post
yes ou are correct, but they all tickle my fancy, so im hoping that with some info on them i can narrow them down...... im hoping someone will say somthing like "dont by that model it has this problem" or "that price i way to high for that gun" or somthing of that sort.... that way i could narrow the list.
Ahhhh...but by YOU doing a search on the good 'ol internet for reviews of each one of those, YOU could also make a list of the good and bad of each, and determine for yourself which ones to choose or stay away from. As for prices, check out the web sites that list them and compare, or go to a gun show, or pick up a copy of Shotgun Review, etc.

That way you get to find out all the info for yourself, don't have to rely on someone else making up your mind for you, or relying on someone else's opinion, which could be totally opposite of what you might experience with that same piece. Get my drift? Sometimes it pays to do a little leg work

Slo

Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good advice Slo. Anyway, the information gathering and the search is a big part of the fun in buying a new firearm.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Ahhhh...but by YOU doing a search on the good 'ol internet for reviews of each one of those, YOU could also make a list of the good and bad of each, and determine for yourself which ones to choose or stay away from. As for prices, check out the web sites that list them and compare, or go to a gun show, or pick up a copy of Shotgun Review, etc.

That way you get to find out all the info for yourself, don't have to rely on someone else making up your mind for you, or relying on someone else's opinion, which could be totally opposite of what you might experience with that same piece. Get my drift? Sometimes it pays to do a little leg work

Slo

indeed, im not new to guns.... i know how to and do the leg work..... for ME makeing threads like this is PART of said leg work, getting personal experiences and such from people is invaluable in my opinion. if you dont have an opinion, thats fine. but i know that there are those on this forum that do and most likely would not mind shareing them......

Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't think anybody is trying to be offensive squirrelblaster. It was just a suggestion.

Personally, I enjoy the legwork before buying a new/new to me firearm. And, yes, part of it is getting input from folks that have experience with that particular firearm.

Peace, out,

CA357

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelblaster View Post
indeed, im not new to guns.... i know how to and do the leg work..... for ME makeing threads like this is PART of said leg work, getting personal experiences and such from people is invaluable in my opinion. if you dont have an opinion, thats fine. but i know that there are those on this forum that do and most likely would not mind shareing them......
Ahhh..I see. So, by me suggesting that you base your choice on facts and figures that you gather, more than "im hoping someone will say somthing like "dont by that model it has this problem" or "that price i way to high for that gun" or somthing of that sort.... that way i could narrow the list", you take that as I'm being rude?

You posted a varied list of firearms in your choices. They vary not only in ammunition (4 different types), but also to totally different classes of weapons, and mission designs. It's not like you came out asking for help in deciding between the blue one or the red one. For anyone to do a comparison with all of those, one would have to be pretty well versed in quite an array there to even feel comfortable separating the pros and cons. A collapsible AK, a couple different SAW type AK's - in different calibers, a stock Romanian AK, a Romanian Sniper rifle, and a FAL.

Hmmmm...they are about as close as saying that "most of them were based on comm-bloc designs", except one. Almost like comparing a golf cart to a full blown 4x4. Gosh, they all have 4 wheels

That's why I was suggesting you doing a little research on them to figure out what interested you the most, and then limiting it down to what type of weapons platform you are looking for, what ammunition requirements, what you want it to be able to do, etc. That's what I was suggesting, no insults intended or implied.

Slo

Old 09-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #9

At any rate, as long as you're researching and narrowing down a list with that much variety, keep saving anyway, and you'll be able to jump once it becomes clear to you. You never know what the latest lamebrained idea out of Congress will be, and that seems to affect gun prices about as badly as oil prices.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Ahhh..I see. So, by me suggesting that you base your choice on facts and figures that you gather, more than "im hoping someone will say somthing like "dont by that model it has this problem" or "that price i way to high for that gun" or somthing of that sort.... that way i could narrow the list", you take that as I'm being rude?

You posted a varied list of firearms in your choices. They vary not only in ammunition (4 different types), but also to totally different classes of weapons, and mission designs. It's not like you came out asking for help in deciding between the blue one or the red one. For anyone to do a comparison with all of those, one would have to be pretty well versed in quite an array there to even feel comfortable separating the pros and cons. A collapsible AK, a couple different SAW type AK's - in different calibers, a stock Romanian AK, a Romanian Sniper rifle, and a FAL.

Hmmmm...they are about as close as saying that "most of them were based on comm-bloc designs", except one. Almost like comparing a golf cart to a full blown 4x4. Gosh, they all have 4 wheels

That's why I was suggesting you doing a little research on them to figure out what interested you the most, and then limiting it down to what type of weapons platform you are looking for, what ammunition requirements, what you want it to be able to do, etc. That's what I was suggesting, no insults intended or implied.

Slo
hmmm where as you say no insults intended or inmplied i still fail to see you post as anything other than just trolling.....sir a lot is said in how you say somthing...... and you strike me as someone who knows this well....... in the intrest of simply moving on how about we agree to dissagre on this and you simply do not post again im this particular thread... thanks SQB

and for the sake of me not having to make another post under this one.....for everyone else i think ive got it narrowed down to

the Romanian RPK
the Romanian Sar-1
or saving for either the RPK74 if it shows its face
or saving for the psl\

leaning mostly tward the romanian RPK.......do to talking to people about there personal experience with it on other forums useing this exact thread post there.