Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Trouble deciding on an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trouble deciding on an AK

I am inexperienced with all of the nuances that AKs have. I have my sights set on getting an Arsenal SGL21-PR because it isn't a "cheap ak" and it isn't a $2000 Krebs. I have heard good things about the SGL21 too.

However, before I do buy an AK I just want to know what a $2000 AK gives you. I don't see how someone could justify buying an AK that expensive without some serious performance in return. I'm fairly certain a $2000 AK is still an AK. It isn't going to be a .25 MOA gun (I mean unless I'm wrong I really don't know). I just want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck without paying for something that is superfluous (the name, doodads, etc).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #2

Well I personally don't have any experience with Kreb's rifles but I do have one of their Beryl style rails on a converted Saiga. I do however own an Arsenal SGL20 and have shot a couple other models Arsenal offers and can testify to their quality.

They are head and shoulders over the two Century built WASRs I have. The sights, gas block, etc are straight. The finish is applied evenly with no thin/bare spots in it. The two stage trigger takes some getting used to especially if you've shot an AK with the Tapco trigger in it but the transition is not a hard one to make. I find the accuracy to be a tad better than my WASRs but that could be because I had the Arsenal first and have shot it more. I can't givel you a group size comparison because I haven't really shot for group with either of them. In short I feel the Arsenal rifles set the standard that Century should try to attain.

Now before I end this let me state that I'm not a Century hater by any means. I have four of their rifles setting in my gun cabinet and have owned a few others over the years. I'm simply making a comparison here of what's in my meager collection, as always YMMV.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The easiest way to see what you get for a $2000 is go to Gunbroker and do an advanced search for AK with price limiters.

Some of what I saw was mostly modles sellers thought of as rare like Polytech Legends and a bull-pup which haven't been imported in 20+ years others were stupid like current production sbr's and such