Thoughts on Zasatava SKS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Thoughts on Zasatava SKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Thoughts on Zasatava SKS

Saw one today for about $300. What are your thoughts on it? Worth it? What quality is it? I am unfamiliar with the platform. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Yugoslavian SKS is a well built rifle,they tend to be about 1 1/2 lbs. heavier that the Chinese or Russian SKS because of the heavier bayo,grenade launcher and sight. The main thing to look out for on the Yugo's is the gas selector button make sure you can depress the button and move the selector back and forth from single shot to semi-auto fire easy.

The Yugo SKS rifles had corrosive ammo fired through them during there military use so it wise to inspect the bore and the gas block selector switch for corrosion from improper cleaning. Other than that just go by the standard you would when purchasing any other rifle as far as fit and finish.

The Yugo rifle can come in a couple different conditions issued which is just cleaned up and put back in storage usually these are in worse condition,unissued have been factory refurbished,you can determine this by looking on the heel of the hand grip there should be a square with a #2 inside it. Then there is always the new in box or NIB pretty rare these day but there out there.

I have a 1970 unissued Yugo M59/66A1 although the gas valve looked perfectly fine it would not eject some wolf X39 ammo but it would any other mil-surplus or American ammo or my own reloads. The gas valve problem is a simple fix a new valve is available for around $10,I replaced mine at it solved the problem with the Wolf ammo stove piping. I pretty much avoid wolf X39 ammo anyways now days since I reload. Of course being your in CA the grenade launcher will be remove and replaced with a muzzle brake.

My 1970 Yugo

My brothers 1987 NIB Yugo never fired

Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it is a mint yugo sks it may be worth that with all the accessories. If it is all banged up like a shooter grade then it is worth alot less. The price of weapons is falling fast and you may be able to get a better deal!

SI VIC PACEM PARABELLUM

Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Click on the link CIVILNI PROGRAM then click on Sporting rifles third row down second rifle from the right.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #5

I paid $260 a little over a year ago for mine in about the same condition as res45's, and I got it with sling, bayonet, double ammo pouch and oiling can. I have a feeling with a little digging you might find one in that price range. With the economy still in the tank I'm sure you can find someone looking to unload one for cheap.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #6

I just paid 400 for mine. A little high, but great rifle thats gonna keep kicking for another 40 year!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #7

For not too much more, you can buy an M or D series which are designed to use AK mags.
But you might be aware that aftermarket high-cap mags are often reported to malfunction in generic SKS types.

Really good Russians (milled-not stamped parts) often list for about $400 at our gun shows.

As AIM now has (Wolf) Tula 7.62 x 39 ammo at $200/1,000, it might be a good time to buy one's first SKS.
It is really nice having a Norinco, which has no extra weight/length on the end of the barrel.

Ammoman and other x39 suppliers are also a good bit lower than August.

Last edited by Laufer; 10-18-2009 at 07:33 AM.