Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > thinking about getting an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

WASRs are just fine. As long as you inspect it and look it over that gun will run just as good as any other AK out there.

They can run and run and run. They can hold there own over 100yards as well.

I had one for a long time but i decided to sell it to a friend cause he wanted it so bad. I miss that gun, but i get to see it once in a while.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
So I'm thinking about getting an AK-47. I was just wondering what y'alls opinions were.
I was considering a stamped Romanian AK. Is this a good AK?

I would also like to know about how much these guns are worth. Just give me a ball park estimate on an average AK.
A stamped Romanian AK is good, it'll last a lifetime, just like any AK variant on the market that isnt built buy drunk blind monkeys.
I have a Century Arms International imported Romanian WASR-10/63 and it is a good rifle. I did have to get my front sight fixed on my WASR-10 because it was bent but now I'm hitting 1 inch squares with the new front post.
Century Arms International has a lot of hate, mostly over their FAL screw ups and cutting corners in manufacturing of most of their stuff but they seem to stick to the AK variant's specs enough to not sink themselves.

In all reality it all depends on what you want to do with the rifle.
I bought mine to be my SHTF gun and something I could run around in the woods with and not have to worry about while I'm hunting. You're not going to be able to get much accuracy beyond 250 yards with the 7.62x39 caliber truthfully. If you need to go further than that distance I'd recommend a Saiga .308, that is if you still want the AK type rifle that can reach out further than the x39 round.
Hope you have thick enough skin to ignore the morons with the short discouraging posts, because a cheap gun doesnt always equal crap as long as you know what you're getting.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Some people swear by their wasr, I've yet to find one that is good quality.

When I got my first AK in 1998, it was a stamped maadi that I still have and beat to death, all wasr around here were/are cheap crap, some worked ok but all had problems with canted FSB, bad wood (read splintered stocks) and the worst of all, the mag wooble resulting in feeding problems, most of the guys that had them got rid of them and thou my maadi had the trigger slap, it was the envy of all.
I was in heaven thinking I got the best AK around here, a maadi chineese hybrid registered as MAK90, then a brand new milled SLR 101 showed at the gun shop and I realized that my maadi thou it chew everything I feed to her, still was low quality compared to the SLR 101, so I got the SLR 101 and to this day this is the finest AK I've seen aside from another SLR 101 from a friend of mine and an Arsenal RPk (US made receiver) that came in to the gunshop the other day.

My advise to you would be,if you have to get a stamped version, skip the wasr and get a dimpled version, a SAR 1 if you can find it may be a good bet, or better yet save your pennys and get a used milled bulgarian if you can find it since the new Milled Arsenal are US made receivers and prices have gone to high.

Long enough post Ruzai?

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Some people swear by their wasr, I've yet to find one that is good quality.

When I got my first AK in 1998, it was a stamped maadi that I still have and beat to death, all wasr around here were/are cheap crap, some worked ok but all had problems with canted FSB, bad wood (read splintered stocks) and the worst of all, the mag wooble resulting in feeding problems, most of the guys that had them got rid of them and thou my maadi had the trigger slap, it was the envy of all.
I was in heaven thinking I got the best AK around here, a maadi chineese hybrid registered as MAK90, then a brand new milled SLR 101 showed at the gun shop and I realized that my maadi thou it chew everything I feed to her, still was low quality compared to the SLR 101, so I got the SLR 101 and to this day this is the finest AK I've seen aside from another SLR 101 from a friend of mine and an Arsenal RPk (US made receiver) that came in to the gunshop the other day.

My advise to you would be,if you have to get a stamped version, skip the wasr and get a dimpled version, a SAR 1 if you can find it may be a good bet, or better yet save your pennys and get a used milled bulgarian if you can find it since the new Milled Arsenal are US made receivers and prices have gone to high.

Long enough post Ruzai?
I cant stand to see the "AR's rule, AKs suck." posts is all. I just hate for narrow minded people to discourage anyone from having a new enjoyable experience, ya know? I've fixed both of the problems you mentioned in your post so my Wasr is good to go for me. I knew about the problems but knew they were fixable too, it all depends on how much money the origianal OP wants to spend on a Russian style system like an AK. Some AK purists say not to buy anything other than something that comes out of the Izmash factory. I say a Maadi is pretty awesome and wouldnt mind owning one myself. I've also heard the SLRs are really good with tighter tolerences and new material, which will cost you of course. For a college boy I'm doin' pretty good though :P
Have you ever considered a new trigger system to fix the trigger slap in your Maadi? I'll put one in for you, but cant promise it wont "get lost in the mail"

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Last edited by Ruzai; 12-16-2010 at 02:28 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

OK..Here's the deal...There's a TON of AK type rifles out there. They will vary in cost depending what';s been put on them, what receiver they started with bla-bla-bla. This has even spawned a little elitist group of AK snobs that refuse to say an AR is a good rifle so they make these 1k+ AK rifles. Just liek with any weapon out there someone will say it's crap because they had one nad it caught fire or they bought one at a gun show and it wouldn't group under an inch at 200 yards or whatever BS reasoning that can be brought up. Some say stamped receivers are the best while others disagree.listen to all that balloon juice then think about this. AK's where built to do one thing. And pretty much no matter how stupid the shooter os or how bad they mistreat the the thing it will still do that one thing. Shoot! It's design was thunk up so poorly educated commies could spray rounds even if they used it as a swamp boat paddle. They are not as accurate as some other military type weapons. But look at them! They gave up some accuracy to get the legendary reliability. You can't have both. Even a Mil-Spec AR wont do what some ultra cool hand fit and built rifle will do. But they are not supposed to.

You can spend a lot of money on some fancy AK type rifle and with good ammo they will do really well. You can spend less and get a good shooter but it wont be a tack driver. I have an old M70 Yugo under folder that does pretty dang well out to 150-200 yards with good ammo. Most the time I'm using not so good ammo and popping paper or some water filled container and laughing my rear end off with all the fun I"m having It's a Century rifle (sorry WASR haters but I don't agree with you) and had not let me down yet. Could I get a better one? Define better. Sure there's models out there that will put tighter groups but I think spending over 600 on an AK is just not something I think need be done. Even the snob rifles don't do as well as a like priced AR most the time so it just seems a little stupid to me. If I want a more accurate rifle I'll buy one that was made to do that. THe AK for me is not too expensive to buy or shoot. A WASR will do just fine for that. There are some better that are not that much more but there is no shame to a WASR or any other Century rifle. THey do what they are supposed to. They work. For the money it's really hard to beat an AK type rifle. Ammo is still pretty cheap, the rifles are not too expensive, and there's a load of fun to be had.

It's funny..THe last WASR I had was a milled receiver and I had people saying I was a dumba$$ for getting a receiver that was not stamped. I got my M70 and I was told that milled receivers was the way to go so I just tossed good money on a crap rifle. But somehow I find a way to hit my targets and have a blast. I'd buy another WASR today if I was looking for another rifle. The only rifles I have more fun at less cost are rim fires.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I cant stand to see the "AR's rule, AKs suck." posts is all. I just hate for narrow minded people to discourage anyone from having a new enjoyable experience, ya know? I've fixed both of the problems you mentioned in your post so my Wasr is good to go for me. I knew about the problems but knew they were fixable too, it all depends on how much money the origianal OP wants to spend on a Russian style system like an AK. Some AK purists say not to buy anything other than something that comes out of the Izmash factory. I say a Maadi is pretty awesome and wouldnt mind owning one myself. I've also heard the SLRs are really good with tighter tolerences and new material, which will cost you of course. For a college boy I'm doin' pretty good though :P
Have you ever considered a new trigger system to fix the trigger slap in your Maadi? I'll put one in for you, but cant promise it wont "get lost in the mail"
An AK is an AK and an AR is an AR, IMO not comparable one vs the other, I got 1 Colt AR and 2 AKs and each serve their purpose fairly well.

My SLR 101 is my SHTF day gun along with my model 686 SW and my trusty G23, the AR is cool to have and thou it's a tack driver, when SHTF day comes oil will be scarce and the AKs will shine.

I discarded the Izmash route since those Saigas thou good quality and finish, are imported only as single stack rifles and need to be converted to double stack if you want, IMO if I pay top dollars for a rifle I don't want to modify something that should be done at the factory in the first place.

For the trigger slap on the maadi, I've been lazy and haven't fixed it yet, just need to dremel one part and it'll be ok, I got the pic of how to do it since 2001 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
It's funny..THe last WASR I had was a milled receiver
Never heard of a milled WASR, but I'm not an AK encyclopedia, certainly would like to see a pic if you have one. Thanks

Here is the Bulgarian, is she pretty or what...

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Here is the Bulgarian, is she pretty or what...

Yes. Yes she is. /sigh

Hey I'd take any of your clapped-out old sh1tbox AKs off your hands any day...

If I could

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[I discarded the Izmash route since those Saigas thou good quality and finish, are imported only as single stack rifles and need to be converted to double stack if you want, IMO if I pay top dollars for a rifle I don't want to modify something that should be done at the factory in the first place.]

I am pretty sure the new Saigas come with double stack mags. You can buy 30 round mag for a stock saiga, I know that for sure. I have looked my a$$ off for hi cap single stack mags and I can only find 5's and 10's.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #19
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

You might want to also consider a Century AK-74 5.45x39. one of nicest rifles I've fired in years, accurate right out of the box, light recoil.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #20

i just bought a wasr not too long ago and it has some feeding issues. most of the time it catches on the hammer. other time it seems like the action doesnt even cycle and i have to rack it back to eject the empty casing. anyone have the same issues with a century? im hoping it goes away over time. i have been buying the cheapest ammo i can find and have only put maybe 150 rounds through it. i also shoot it like an ar, slow trigger squeeze, trying to get some accuracy from it. i know thats not what its for but ive been tryin to see what its got. and so far its been decently accurate, its just got that ejecting and feeding issue.