thinking about getting an AK
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > thinking about getting an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default thinking about getting an AK

So I'm thinking about getting an AK-47. I was just wondering what y'alls opinions were.
I was considering a stamped Romanian AK. Is this a good AK?

I would also like to know about how much these guns are worth. Just give me a ball park estimate on an average AK.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #2

Default AK

You talking retail?

AK Pattern Rifles

Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #3

AK's are very rugged; they take a lickin and keep on tickin. I have owned ten or maybe even twelve ranging from Chinese model 90's with the thumb whole stock to Valmets, Galil's, Saiga's and Vepr's. Caliber's ranged from 5.45 to 308. The most favorite one of the bunch was my first one; a Chinese AKM 56 semi-automatic with the folding cruciform bayonet under the barrel. Wish I had never let that one go. It was alomost identical to the Viet Nam bring backs back during the day when I was in the Army. I remember paying as low as $250 dollars for one and as much as $750 for the Galil and Vepr.

Trouble with AK's is they are so availble and common that I loose interest in them very quickly. I have been thinking about getting one of those new AK pistols because I have been doing the SBR thing lately. Have two and have room for a third. Reading alot of gun magazines like I do; I have been reading the SIG 556 is actually the most refined AK out there. I found one at a shop used for $1,099 and I am thinking about buying it. One reason is it takes AR magazines and I have a S_ _ _ pile of those laying around.

The rifle I own and very much prefer to the AK is the Czech VZ 58; it is the best semi-auto 7.62X39 I have ever owned. Every body who shoots mine prefers it to the AK as well. I have several offers to buy if I ever get tired of it. Think I heard they have stopped importing those but if you go to the Czechpoint website they may still bringing them into the country. Heck google Gunbroker and you should be able to find one.

So if you have found one which catches your eye for whatever reason or have never owned one take a chance and go ahead; they are fun.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Century International Arms 30 + 1 7.62 X 39MM w/Blue Finish/ $408.00 SHIPS FREE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #5

Liked 708 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
So I'm thinking about getting an AK-47. I was just wondering what y'alls opinions were.
I was considering a stamped Romanian AK. Is this a good AK?

I would also like to know about how much these guns are worth. Just give me a ball park estimate on an average AK.
If you ever take anything in this forum to heart, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT BUY FROM CENTURY ARMS!!! The WASR-10 is the biggest pile of steaming poop on the market today, or ever, AK's, arent "cheap" anymore, you get what you pay for, shop around, I'm in your shoes now.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
The WASR-10 is the biggest pile of steaming poop on the market today, or ever...
I have heard that often. I've only dealt with a few WASR's, primarily my nephew's and a shooting buddy's. They functioned flawlessly when i used them; fit and finish looked fine to me. The only problem i've seen with the WASR's is that the owners i know seem to spend a lot of time and money adding fancy furniture and such to them and buying lots and lots of inexpensive ammo to keep them fed.

I have read reports of canted sights and poor fit, but i just haven't seen it myself, in my limited experience.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #7

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Agree with orangello, the WASR is a good choice for for a low end AK clone. I've had mine four years and no real problems. Well worth the price and functions as well as more expensive models. Eats anything I put in it including crappy corrosive surplus stuff from the '60s. Nothing wrong with getting a higher end AK but Century does all right. Lots of hate for Century but much of it is second hand drivel repeated over and over not first hand experience.

In fact I have 4 Century imported guns and all work well. I did get to inspect them first hand before buying which was an advantage. No doubt there are lemons but that's true of any brand. I'd go with them if I found a deal. You can get WASRs for around $400.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

More than one AK forum has a top 10 list of AK's. I am sure that if you searched, you can find them. The Romanian and Yugoslavian AK's are always nearer to the top. My Yugo is from Century and it is really nice. The WASR's are always nearer to the bottom, but my cousins WASR shoots anything you put in it and it all hits the target. If you go with a WASR, just check the fit of the magazine in the mag well and look for canted front sights.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #9

I have a WASR-10 and have had no problems with it. Just make sure that if you do pick one up that it has G2 trigger, check for mag wobble and that its not canted. I have shot Wolf, Bear, Tiger ammo with no malfunctions at all.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

WASR = Junk

Save your pennys and get a Milled Bulgarian

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper