Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Thinking about buying this WASR, what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What does Jersey think about an SKS? I love my buddy's WASR, but if detachable mags or mag capacity is a problem, the SKS might suit you just as well with some stripper clips and an internal mag (though external mags are available).

Personally, i don't mind the plastic furniture.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #12

Ok, I've contacted a gun shop in NJ thanks to the help of Pyle and here's the deal..

To make this NJ legal

1. Remove bayonet lug (or it may not have one to begin with like this rifle)

2. Take off any flash hinderer and add a muzzle brake which has to be PERMANTALY attached to rifle (the seller here is actually pinning and welding the muzzle brake on for me)

3. Can not have a folding stock, must be one uniform length and not adjustable. (I'm replacing the collapsable one here with a straight stock from tapco)

4. CAN accept mags that are over 15 rounds but you CAN NOT have those magazines in NJ or you are violating the law.

So for me, this is a good deal since if I bought a WASR 10 from a company, I would have to pay for it to be adjusted (ie weld the muzzle brake). I do not want the wood furniture on this gun, I plan on the future buying a more traditional AK, one that is of higher quality in which I will keep the wood on it. So I bought this gun today!

BTW: I'm actually going to buy the black furniture for this as well. This will be my Transformer-AK :thumbsup:

Last edited by nopistons93; 10-04-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #13

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Well that sounds like a plan... I didn't realize NJ would allow a reamed out magwell that accepts 30rd mags, so your solution makes everything much easier and the gun really isn't terribly neutered since you're just welding on the slant brake that most AKs have and who cares about the bayonet lug (except for show). I'd still rather have the evil version but you've kinda got the best of both worlds since you can have it in NJ yet still use 30rd mags in non-ban states.

And honestly I'm thinking of getting some 20rd mags since 30rders are heavy and unwieldy. On the other hand I'm toying with the idea of fixing my bayonet lug to make the rifle fully evil! (ETA: Except for full auto of course...)

Anyway, good luck with it, and let us know how it works!

Last edited by Quentin; 10-04-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well that sounds like a plan... I didn't realize NJ would allow a reamed out magwell that accepts 30rd mags, so your solution makes everything much easier and the gun really isn't terribly neutered since you're just welding on the slant brake that most AKs have and who cares about the bayonet lug (except for show). I'd still rather have the evil version but you've kinda got the best of both worlds since you can have it in NJ yet still use 30rd mags in non-ban states.

And honestly I'm thinking of getting some 20rd mags since 30rders are heavy and unwieldy. On the other hand I'm toying with the idea of fixing my bayonet lug to make the rifle fully evil! (ETA: Except for full auto of course...)

Anyway, good luck with it, and let us know how it works!

Yea man, well if you think about it, an AR-15 can take 30 mags and those are NJ legal. They actually sell WASR 10s in NJ, but I'm not sure if they are the single or double stack.