Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Thinking about buying this WASR, what do you think? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/thinking-about-buying-wasr-what-do-you-think-32556/)

nopistons93 10-03-2010 05:24 PM

Thinking about buying this WASR, what do you think?

Hey guys,

Looking at getting this WASR today, pending the seller lets me know that there is no bayonet lug or flash suppressor on it (doesn't look like it has either but correct me if I'm wrong!). Seems like a decent deal no?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimage...wm_2153508.jpg

and the link is

WASR 10 with Tapco Accessories - AK-47 Rifles (and copies) > Folding Stock for sale

nopistons93 10-03-2010 06:18 PM

Ah shoot, nevermind. I have to buy a single stack model if I want it to be NJ legal later on.

Shihan 10-03-2010 06:58 PM

Between the AR and the AK, you might as well just stay in SC. Who in there right mind would want to live in NJ after experiencing the Carolinas?:eek:

nopistons93 10-03-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 362166)
Between the AR and the AK, you might as well just stay in SC. Who in there right mind would want to live in NJ after experiencing the Carolinas?:eek:

Haha, I'm thinking about buying this anyway. I have the ability to store rifles legally in another state that this is legal in. What do you think? I like the polymer furniture on it

Shihan 10-03-2010 07:16 PM

Buy it and stay in SC, you'll be happier. Studies prove it.:D

nopistons93 10-03-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 362174)
Buy it and stay in SC, you'll be happier. Studies prove it.:D

Ok ok, fine :cool:. In all reality, I will be joining up the military in a year or so anyway, and then I'll be shipped all over. But then I live only 10 min from PA anyway, so why not just live there if I want to move back north? :D

jpattersonnh 10-03-2010 07:30 PM

Looks strange w/ plastic. Wood is much nicer. 5.45 is a real cheap round!!!

nopistons93 10-03-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 362184)
Looks strange w/ plastic. Wood is much nicer. 5.45 is a real cheap round!!!

this is 7.62x39 though JP

Jpyle 10-03-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 362166)

Ah come on...we have golf courses and beaches too...:p

Quentin 10-04-2010 04:45 PM

For the money it's pretty hard to beat a WASR-10/63 for a near AKM clone. You might want to look around more unless you like the Tapco furniture. I like the traditional wood myself which is what I have on my four year old WASR. Over that time my rifle never has malfunctioned once, even though I used to fire a lot of corrosive surplus ammo from the '60s.

A basic WASR would be closer to $400 but I suppose if you wanted the Tapco stocks $500 wouldn't be bad. Still, I'd rather get a stock WASR then upgrade it myself so I'd have the original wood stocks and the new stocks for the same money.

The WASR pictured does not have a flash hider, just a slant brake that should unscrew off. Can't tell about the bayonet lug but that could be filed off if necessary for legal reasons. (And a muzzle nut could be welded over the barrel threads but it wouldn't be worth the expense to do something about the large magwell.) Since it's NIB I expect it does have the lug intact. My WASR was old enough to have been affected by the AWB so it had the bayonet lug filed slightly so it wouldn't work and had a welded on muzzle nut to prevent the threaded barrel to be used. Since the ban no longer mattered in my state I hacksawed through the weld, unscrewed the nut and screwed on a flash hider. Also have a slant brake but the FH makes more sense on a semiauto AKM. I never fixed the bayonet lug but could have it welded then shaped to lock on a bayonet - just wasn't worth the trouble though.

I'd say since you have a place to store legally, get preban guns not neutered ones. And when you get out of the service you can deal with what you have and where you'll live. Odds are the prebans will be worth more money even if you have to sell them in a few years.

Good luck during your tours and stay safe!

ETA:
I have to agree with Shihan, think about staying in the Carolinas! I was born in Mayberry, NC - err, a small town near Winston-Salem and stayed there until I joined the Army at 18. After the service I did leave for Phoenix then retired in Idaho but often think I shoulda come back home!