Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > ten shot max??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ten shot max??

when i bought my ak today i wanted to get a 25 or 30rd mag. now the sales man at the gun store told me that in NY unless the gun was made before a certian year you cant have more than a 10 shot mag?? a friend of mine told me alot of states are that way? im sorry ive only been collecting guns for a few months and still a newb... anyone can give me a huge ak school session this so far is my fav gun to date i own

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8323 Times on 3599 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Not a lot of states, just a few, But yer in one of them. You will hear the term "pre-ban". Refers to an item made prior to 1994 (???)

Website that will help is Realtor.com. SELL YOUR PLACE AND BUY ONE HERE.

OK- now that I have ragged you enuff- NY State penal Code 265.00:
23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September
thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or
that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten
rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include
an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating
only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-27-2011 at 04:32 AM.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ten shot max

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT2TOMMY View Post
when i bought my ak today i wanted to get a 25 or 30rd mag. now the sales man at the gun store told me that in NY unless the gun was made before a certian year you cant have more than a 10 shot mag?? a friend of mine told me alot of states are that way? im sorry ive only been collecting guns for a few months and still a newb... anyone can give me a huge ak school session this so far is my fav gun to date i own
I don't know where you r in NY, but i lived upstate (catskills) We just bought preban 20 and 30rd mags. I'm not certain on all the legal BS. You might want to ask one of the gun shops in your area. Why have an AK if u can't have 20 or 30rd mags.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #4

yea im upstate as well, and exactly my thoughts, if you have any preban mags that you would like to sell let me know??

Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
I could be wrong but I do not think the manufacture date of the gun has any bearing on the permitted mag capacity...believe it is the manufacture date of the mag...don't buy any mag unless the date itself is evident on the mag and can be verified. Tall order I know but might save you a trip to jail.

Check your local laws, we have a 15 rnd mag limit in NJ and manufacture date means nada, zip, zilch...no pre-ban grandfathering of anything.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ten shot mag

Quote:
yea im upstate as well, and exactly my thoughts, if you have any preban mags that you would like to sell let me know??
Got rid of my ak and a whole mess of mags. I'll make some calls 2marro, i can't promise, but i'll call some buddies of mine...

Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #7

damn... well i may just deal with the 10 round mag, like just buy a couple more 10 rd mags... i just wanted some bigger mags but it seems more trouble than its worth.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Another victim of N.Y. Gun laws!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Another victim of N.Y. Gun laws!!!
i guess i can live lmao

Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Its the same for MA, we still live under the AWB. You just have to hunt down preban mags like I did for my SUR. There are usually identifying marks on the mag itself which will tell you what year it was made. I don't know much about the AK mags or where there might be a list.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!