Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   ten shot max?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/ten-shot-max-39053/)

TAT2TOMMY 02-27-2011 03:52 AM

ten shot max??

when i bought my ak today i wanted to get a 25 or 30rd mag. now the sales man at the gun store told me that in NY unless the gun was made before a certian year you cant have more than a 10 shot mag?? a friend of mine told me alot of states are that way? im sorry ive only been collecting guns for a few months and still a newb... anyone can give me a huge ak school session this so far is my fav gun to date i own:)

c3shooter 02-27-2011 04:26 AM

Not a lot of states, just a few, But yer in one of them. You will hear the term "pre-ban". Refers to an item made prior to 1994 (???)

Website that will help is Realtor.com. SELL YOUR PLACE AND BUY ONE HERE.

OK- now that I have ragged you enuff- NY State penal Code 265.00:
23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September
thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or
that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten
rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include
an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating
only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

aktommysks 03-01-2011 02:13 AM

Ten shot max

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAT2TOMMY (Post 454244)
when i bought my ak today i wanted to get a 25 or 30rd mag. now the sales man at the gun store told me that in NY unless the gun was made before a certian year you cant have more than a 10 shot mag?? a friend of mine told me alot of states are that way? im sorry ive only been collecting guns for a few months and still a newb... anyone can give me a huge ak school session this so far is my fav gun to date i own:)

I don't know where you r in NY, but i lived upstate (catskills) We just bought preban 20 and 30rd mags. I'm not certain on all the legal BS. You might want to ask one of the gun shops in your area. Why have an AK if u can't have 20 or 30rd mags.

TAT2TOMMY 03-01-2011 02:16 AM

yea im upstate as well, and exactly my thoughts, if you have any preban mags that you would like to sell let me know??

Jpyle 03-01-2011 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAT2TOMMY (Post 454244)

I could be wrong but I do not think the manufacture date of the gun has any bearing on the permitted mag capacity...believe it is the manufacture date of the mag...don't buy any mag unless the date itself is evident on the mag and can be verified. Tall order I know but might save you a trip to jail.

Check your local laws, we have a 15 rnd mag limit in NJ and manufacture date means nada, zip, zilch...no pre-ban grandfathering of anything.

aktommysks 03-01-2011 02:24 AM

Ten shot mag

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAT2TOMMY (Post 455326)
yea im upstate as well, and exactly my thoughts, if you have any preban mags that you would like to sell let me know??

Got rid of my ak and a whole mess of mags. I'll make some calls 2marro, i can't promise, but i'll call some buddies of mine...

TAT2TOMMY 03-01-2011 02:26 AM

damn... well i may just deal with the 10 round mag, like just buy a couple more 10 rd mags... i just wanted some bigger mags but it seems more trouble than its worth.

Gojubrian 03-01-2011 02:31 AM

Another victim of N.Y. Gun laws!!! :mad:

TAT2TOMMY 03-01-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 455344)
Another victim of N.Y. Gun laws!!! :mad:

i guess i can live lmao

dnthmn2004 03-01-2011 02:36 AM

Its the same for MA, we still live under the AWB. You just have to hunt down preban mags like I did for my SUR. There are usually identifying marks on the mag itself which will tell you what year it was made. I don't know much about the AK mags or where there might be a list.