Tapco Stock Worthiness

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Tapco Stock Worthiness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Default Tapco Stock Worthiness

I am sure it has been discussed before but can anyone truly give me information about the Tapco T-6 stock system for the sks platform? I have a Norinco I love and debate whether or not to tac it out but I want to know a few things about the stock that seems most common on these rifles. Does the Tapco system lighten the rifle at all? Also, in its most compact form how does it stack up to the overall length of the stock rifle? That may seem like a relative answer since different types of sks are different lengths but is there someone who has done the side by side weight and size of a wooden stock vs. Tapco stock? Am I going to kick myself for it if I go to all the trouble of modernizing this great rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

No one has the first hand knowledge? Am I throwing money out the window?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #3

Liked 2178 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 473

I personally think an SKS is at its best in its stock form. The collapsible stocks don't offer much in weight or size savings. About the only things that you gain are a pistol grip and adjustability for different length of pull for different sized shooters or for cold weather clothes versus hot weather clothes. On the collapsed position I think you are right back at standard length if pull or may bet an inch or so shorter.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2808 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I can't speak for the other versions (Yugo, Russki, etc.) of the SKS. I own a Chinese variant and the length of pull is just comical in OEM form if you are over 5'4". I'm 6'3" and the Tapco stock was just the ticket.
They are pretty well made and they look pretty good once it's all together. Fair warning, the gas tube cover is a bit of a pain to fit. I had to drill out the pin, drifting it wasn't happening. Also plan on taking your time and filing it to fit. Worth noting, I'm sure someone with more skill than me can get the wooden gas tube cover off in serviceable condition. I tried and failed. If keeping it (the old stock) on hand matters, you might wish to have the gas tube cover portion done by someone with actual skills.
Weight? You will save some, not so much as to be a big deal.
Length? As far as actual use, the adjustable stock is a godsend. Compressed, the Tapco is noticeably shorter. How much? Don't really know.
One thing I noticed is that for some reason, the recoil seemed more unpleasant. I suspect that the less rounded design of the Tapco buttplate is the culprit. It's not a big deal, but it could be a problem for someone that is extremely recoil sensitive.
IMHO, it was a big improvement. I wish I'd done it sooner. YMMV.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Will the TAPCO - Intrafuse stocks fit on a WASR 10/63 - not crazy about the wood on the one I have on layaway - want something in Dark Earth

What you think?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

Liked 2178 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHickam View Post
Will the TAPCO - Intrafuse stocks fit on a WASR 10/63 - not crazy about the wood on the one I have on layaway - want something in Dark Earth

What you think?
They should fit fine. They are made to fit any standard AKM patterned rifle.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I have a tapco stock on my Tula sks and I have to say I really like it. I like to hold the rifle with the pistol grip in my right hand and with my left hand right on top of the factory ten round mag. It feels so comfortable that way. I honestly don't feel much of a difference in weight but I do like the advantage of the adjustable stock. The only con is the pistol grip is plastic and is only held to the stock by a long plastic screw. The screw just screws right into the plastic. Be careful not to tighten it too tight and strip it. I made that mistake but tapco was great with their warranty and sent me a brand new stock without having to send back the old one. I'm currently looking to set a nut it the stock so the screw has something to bolt into for a sturdier fit. If SHTF you're better off with wood. But for the range it's great. My only regret is I didn't get the one in OD green!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Oh and one more thing...I really like how comfortable it is to work the safety with the pistol grip compared to the wood stock. You can just ride your finger on the safety instead of on the trigger guard, and just flip the safety off smoothly as you put your finger on the trigger and ready the weapon to fire.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1958 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortinsj View Post
I have a tapco stock on my Tula sks and I have to say I really like it. I like to hold the rifle with the pistol grip in my right hand and with my left hand right on top of the factory ten round mag. It feels so comfortable that way. I honestly don't feel much of a difference in weight but I do like the advantage of the adjustable stock. The only con is the pistol grip is plastic and is only held to the stock by a long plastic screw. The screw just screws right into the plastic. Be careful not to tighten it too tight and strip it. I made that mistake but tapco was great with their warranty and sent me a brand new stock without having to send back the old one. I'm currently looking to set a nut it the stock so the screw has something to bolt into for a sturdier fit. If SHTF you're better off with wood. But for the range it's great. My only regret is I didn't get the one in OD green!
Look at getting a "barrel nut" if you can. It is about 4 times long than a standard nut. It is not for the rifle barrel. If necessary you could drill and cross pin the barrel nut and still have plenty of thread.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."