Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Stopped by the Lancaster factory today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stopped by the Lancaster factory today...

I was driving by on the road where the Lancaster Arms plant is at, so I stopped in to see about a few things for my AKM.

While I was there, the guy took me around for a quick nickel tour. I couldn't take very many photos, he said they were running a military contract right then, but I got a few...

I've got a limit of four pictures, so I took out the ones of the CNC line and the assemblies waiting on furniture. You can see these assemblies in the background of the first rack picture.

A couple of different racks of rifles...

While I was there they handed me a Romanian cleaning kit for in the stock and one of those little metal circular shaped Romanian oil bottles. I also picked up a wooden pistol grip, in red to match the rest of the furniture on my AKM. Before and After...

I do like the grip, but I wish it was checkered. It does look better, and it's about an inch longer and it's wider, also, and a tad more swept back than the standard plastic one. It feels pretty good. I haven't tried it out yet except handling it in the house, but it doesn't necessarily feel any more slippery than the plastic Tapco grip.

Last edited by Route 66 Rambler; 09-29-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Very cool.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-30-2009, 02:11 AM   #3

I still think the best AK's are the ones not built by Americans, not to saying Lancanster dosen't make good rifles.

Last edited by Ermac; 09-30-2009 at 02:14 AM.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #4

I'm a NTMA-certified machinist. I disagree. American machinists are among the world's finest, provided they care about what they are building. As long as you don't lose the lottery and get something built on Friday afternoon. And that has more to do with the guy inspecting them. The same is true, I might add, of European machinists. After all, everyone is using CNC machinery now to cut this kind of stuff. As long as they care about their work, you'll do fine.

I never fired one of these AKs on full auto in the field, because I didn't trust them for that. Just me. They felt like rattletraps and didn't tend to hit real well, even on semi. I just didn't have the balls to try them on auto. After cutting my teeth on an M16, an AK felt like it would fly to pieces if you tried it on auto.

This rifle, and the others I have handled, including nice ones like Arsenal, as well as Century's WASRs and some other cheapies, are a whole 'nother world from those field rifles. And most of those issue ones were new, too.

This rifle here is much tighter, much more whack when you let the bolt go, WAY WAY more accurate. It is super tempting to convert it back to auto and give it a go. I'll never do it, of course. Just tempted.

And there are actually a LOT of people who say Lancaster doesn't make good rifles. So don't sweat that. I inspected mine before I bought it, and I'm satisfied that I did well. It hits way out past where an AK is supposed to.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Rambler View Post
I'm a NTMA-certified machinist. I disagree. American machinists are among the world's finest, provided they care about what they are building. As long as you don't lose the lottery and get something built on Friday afternoon. And that has more to do with the guy inspecting them. The same is true, I might add, of European machinists. After all, everyone is using CNC machinery now to cut this kind of stuff. As long as they care about their work, you'll do fine.

I never fired one of these AKs on full auto in the field, because I didn't trust them for that. Just me. They felt like rattletraps and didn't tend to hit real well, even on semi. I just didn't have the balls to try them on auto. After cutting my teeth on an M16, an AK felt like it would fly to pieces if you tried it on auto.

This rifle, and the others I have handled, including nice ones like Arsenal, as well as Century's WASRs and some other cheapies, are a whole 'nother world from those field rifles. And most of those issue ones were new, too.

This rifle here is much tighter, much more whack when you let the bolt go, WAY WAY more accurate. It is super tempting to convert it back to auto and give it a go. I'll never do it, of course. Just tempted.

And there are actually a LOT of people who say Lancaster doesn't make good rifles. So don't sweat that. I inspected mine before I bought it, and I'm satisfied that I did well. It hits way out past where an AK is supposed to.
I didn't say American machinists aren't good I just think that most of the parts kits AK's are usually inferior to one that was factory made.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #6

I'm not trying to come on like an a-hole and put you down. I can only go on my own experience. I've used a few factory made AKs in the field, as a soldier, using weapons that are issued to soldiers.

Compared to them, the one I have now is in another league. The parts in a kit come from a factory made rifle that is broken down. Then machinists and other techs will perform certain tasks with that kit, and add in certain parts made in America, while leaving out certain other parts.

My Lancaster rifle is a parts kit, that was assembled by Lancaster.The same for Arsenal and Century etc. It's all in the assembly, whether done from a parts kit(broken down rifle), or if it's a factory built weapon(still a parts kit, it's just assembled out of boxes of parts that were made in that factory).

In the case of my rifle, the receiver was rebuilt by a company called Nodak Spud, then Lancaster would take that parts assembly, measure the tolerances and specs(hopefully), and add in an American made barrel, among a few other parts made in their factory.

Machinists are the ones who make and check the parts, and in many cases are also the ones who assemble them. And a gunsmith is more machinist/mechanic than any other single trade.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #7

wow, thanks for the pics! love looking at stuff like that!

also i really like the color on your furniture! did you do the stain or did they? either way its great!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #8

It's the most basic rifle Lancaster sells, it's the Model 3060. The color is called Russian Red, to simulate the color of the original AKs built by the Russians. The standard pistol grip is a Tapco plastic one. They also offer a Tapco SAW grip and the wood grip, they're like a 30 dollar option. A scope mount is a 30 dollar option, I didn't think to ask about seeing one, so I don't know what kind they use for that. They also offer milled receiver rifles and various other versions, like pistol ones and wire underfolders etc. and sell Saiga brand rifles and shotguns, Olympic and Armalite AR rifles, and MAC 10 and UZI guns and pistols, too.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2552 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I have a Lancaster built Polish underfolder. I cannot complain. It works.

They are making F/A guns?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Lancaster makes a very reliable AK. If I had the extra funds I would not hesitate to purchase one, just to have another one. I have fired almost the same exact Russian rifle on auto in the field and they will not fly apart, but they do get a little warm.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Tags
akm, factory, lancaster, pistol grip