Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS w/AK mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2265 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default SKS w/AK mags

A recent thread with pics spurred my interest. It appears the SKS-D model has an adapter fitted to the front of the mag well to allow the use of AK mags. Is the mag release different also? Has anyone considered making adapters? One could make a mint!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
A recent thread with pics spurred my interest. It appears the SKS-D model has an adapter fitted to the front of the mag well to allow the use of AK mags. Is the mag release different also? Has anyone considered making adapters? One could make a mint!
I'm by far no expert at all, but I asked for knowledge from several forum members here when I was thinking about an sks a while back, and I believe the D model was basically built from the ground up to take AK mags.

Sks can be converted to take them, but it requires extensive metal work not for the faint of heart, I believe someone told me it significantly weakens the receiver, and the results are spotty at best, and ruination at worst.

My next question on the matter was the same as yours, basically. Why is there no bolt on adapter kit? I don't remember why, but the consensus seemed to be that it simply can't economically be done.

I do hope to gain more knowledge on the matter by watching this thread, as we have numerous newer members here who I'm sure have had different experiences.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I am looking forward to hearing from those with experience in this matter as well.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #4

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Bump. We need some enlightenmet here.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #5

Liked 2203 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

I only have two SKSs, and while I have modded 1

for an internal 20rd Chinese mag, all my research

on the topic of external mags came up jam,jam,jam.

So I left the external mags alone. In essence,

A Simonovska is NOT an AK.

But, if you want to end the story

differently, you can pay the piper.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #6

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

This guy explains how to convert an SKS to take AK mags.
It doesn't take "extensive" metal work, but it definitely ain't for a first time project.
I just use "duckbill" mags.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Both D and M type SKS use AK mags. THere are adapter kits to do it with other models but those use aftermarket kits. The D&M models come that way. Both are Chinese. The mag release on the rD&M models are different then the "regular ones"

I have a M model that many call the paratrooper model. I have no working knowledge if they had paratroopers but the rifles are a little shorter. and I always though that was where the tag of paratrooper come from. THese model SKS are thesew days considerably more expensive than other models. If you Google M type - D type or paratrooper SKS you can see all kinds of thme. Gunbroker recently had one sell at 1800 bucks. THey hasvew got to a more reasonable price now but they you can find them sometimes on gunbroker. THe last couple I seen had more of a thumbhole stock that reminded me of the MAADI AK. A gunbroker search for paratrooper SKS, or SKS that used AK mags will usually dig up a few for sale. THe last one I seen was a buy now of 700 just a few days ago. It seems the thumbhole stocked models are newer adn sell a little cheaper than the one wit ha more traditional looking stock.

This is my M model with an aftermarket stock. The stock was made to use with most all SKS and it has a cutout in the stock to accept the duck bull mag but my SKS can only use AK mags. I'll have to dig out my OEM stock and snap a pic so you can see the mag well is completely different.

Edit to add. I did find this pic of my SKS when it still had the OEM stock on it. You can't see it real good but you can see the mag release.

I'll try to get the old stock out later and get some more easily seen pics of it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 08-28-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added a pic

Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I am aware of the D and M models. It would be nice to see a close up of the mag release on a disassembled trigger group. The most surprising aspect of a conversion is the slimming of the bolt. That thought never crossed my mind. If I could weld, I might try such a project. Sadly, I have WID. Welding Incompetence Disorder.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
I am aware of the D and M models. It would be nice to see a close up of the mag release on a disassembled trigger group. The most surprising aspect of a conversion is the slimming of the bolt. That thought never crossed my mind. If I could weld, I might try such a project. Sadly, I have WID. Welding Incompetence Disorder.
I see we had the same teacher..Or at least learned the same lesson.

I'm headed out at the moment. I'll pop the the stock off and see if I can take a decent pic of what's in there when I get back. I really should try and see if the wife would do it. She takes much better pics than I do But I can use her fancy camera

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson