SKS Variances
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS Variances

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default SKS Variances

To all you SKS ppl out there I'm looking into getting an SKS for no other reason than because I want one. And that I would like a semi-auto rifle that I can afford and is affordable to take to the range. I also want to get an AR too, but the one I want is out of my price range at the moment.

I have a few questions though: 1) Would the SKSs that are in their wooden stocks be 922r compliant? 2) Which variant has the detatchable orginal magazine? 3) Which variant would go with and why?

My plan is to turn an SKS to the 21st century, like every one else, by putting it in to a Tapco stock/handgaurd, mounting a scope and replacing the bayonet with a bi-pod.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8741 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

The standard SKS should not fall under 922R, since it lacks the "evil features" that trigger 922R. Those are:

High capacity (greater than 10 round for rifles, 5 rounds for shotgun) magazines
- Pistol grip attachment
- Folding buttstock
- Muzzle device/attachment (to include a threaded barrel capable of receiving a device)
- Bayonet lugs

Bottom line- buy from a dealer, the gun he sells you should not be a 922R problem. AK47, possible problem. Evil features, ya know.

Many folks have attempted to add detachable mags to an SKS, usually with miserable results. The Chinese DID have two fairly scarce versions that were made to use AK mags. I THINK they were the D and S models, but not sure.

The Yugos have a gas shut off valve that is sometimes a source of trouble. Their bores are usually non-chromed and may not be the best. Russian and Chinese are (IMHO) about the best you find.

I DO have one that is scoped using a mount on the bolt cover. However, that one was hand-fitted to the rifle, and is tighter than a Scotsman. Many fit loosely, do not give good results.

Am looking at sale flyer right now from Southern Ohio Gun- A Yugo 59 is $295, a 59/66 is $350, an Albanian is $340.

However, there will be other opinions.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

Liked 2127 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 463

If you want to "tax out" an SKS, and have it take AK mags you wil be starting with a fairly rare SKS to begin with and will be paying close to AK prices before you go adding Tapco furniture etc. when you go to sell it you will have reduced its value. Why not just buy an AK clone to begin with?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

Liked 2455 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
If you want to "tax out" an SKS, and have it take AK mags you wil be starting with a fairly rare SKS to begin with and will be paying close to AK prices before you go adding Tapco furniture etc. when you go to sell it you will have reduced its value. Why not just buy an AK clone to begin with?

Ahhh, you mean besides it having a machined, rather than

stamped receiver, and the inherently longer sight radius?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1733 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

Be sure and look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS for some info.

I like the SKS in stock form and like to see the manufacturing variances of the original, unmodified versions.

It is hard to imagine that you'll add anything that will make it more reliable or functional, much less more valuable.
But what the heck, trick one out if you want

Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Ahhh, you mean besides it having a machined, rather than

stamped receiver, and the inherently longer sight radius?
They make milled AK models as well. And as far as sight radius goes ther are options for lengthening the AK sight radius as well,(check out Tech-Sight for a rear mounted replacement sight that is pretty solid). But in practical terms AKs are more accurate than a lot of people give them credit for.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Be sure and look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS for some info.

I like the SKS in stock form and like to see the manufacturing variances of the original, unmodified versions.

It is hard to imagine that you'll add anything that will make it more reliable or functional, much less more valuable.
But what the heck, trick one out if you want
I tend to agree with you. I like the SKS very much but appreciate it most just the way it came. It's not to bad to reload with stripper clips and its handy and easy to shoot in field positions, like prone, with its shorter mag.

I will say that now that I have transferred to the Pacific Northwest a synthetic stock may not be s bad idea for wet weather use to protect the original.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I was on sootch's youtube channel watching him swap out the wooden stock for the Tapco stock. And his SKS had a detatchable mag..or the aftermarket made it a detatchable. Im on here with my phone so i'll copy the link to my next post.

I may even get two; keep one original and refinsh the wood and then 'tac' out the other ???

That brings up another question: what types of wood are they made?

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker
I was on sootch's youtube channel watching him swap out the wooden stock for the Tapco stock. And his SKS had a detatchable mag..or the aftermarket made it a detatchable. Im on here with my phone so i'll copy the link to my next post.

I may even get two; keep one original and refinsh the wood and then 'tac' out the other ???

That brings up another question: what types of wood are they made?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0xsY-nlk1A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

-------------

Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm so glad to see this thread spring up.

I've been wanting a semi auto rifle for general purposes for a while, and I've decided to go with an SKS myself. I'm just now getting into the research phase of the purchase. Will likely be February or thereabouts before I buy.

My reason for the SKS, it has what I need, and nothing I don't in its most basic stock configuration. Cheap plentiful ammo. Powerful enough to drop a deer or a man.

Uber basic, super simple, well within my price range.

I'll be keeping it entirely stock. If I can get my hands on a model that takes AK mags, that would be great. If not, stripper clips with a 10 round fixed mag will serve me perfectly fine for my purposes, those being basic work rifle, game getter, beater, SHTF survival.

I like the AK, but I simply feel the SKS would suit me better. I'm very familiar with the AR, having been trained on the platform, but I don't like their price tags.

And of course, I want a Tula. That star and arrow, and ruskie red finish is just damn sexy.

I'll be following this thread with great interest.