Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Sks tapco stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok more specifically has anyone done this to their sks I bought the stock because the wood on the gas system had been broken and cracked baldy due to a drop by the former owner so I need to know if anyone has done this to theirs, because I can not figure out how to get the damn cover on it or figure out how, do you simply knock out the pin on the rear of the gas system? If you need pics of the problem just ask
I'll post them tomorrow

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 675 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 1841

A couple of links for you.

http://www.tapco.com/support/supportRQ_sks.php

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 22

That video is what I was going to post. I have mixed feelings about the Tapco stock. It looks cool and appears to be cheap, but you have to keep in mind that the picatinny rail guard does require some gunsmithing to install, and from what I understand you can damage the original parts very easily if you dont do it right. You can get a separate gas tube with picatinny rail that matches, but it is an additional 50 bucks and you still have to do some work with a file to get it to fit properly. By the time you add this all up it adds a considerable expense. I have also had problems with the 20 rd Tapco magazine. It is unreliable at best. If I had to buy over I would just get an AK if I wanted something tactical. By the time you buy the SKS and add the stock kit you have probably spent more anyway.
It appears that you are like me though and already have the SKS. If it were me I would find a replacement wooden stock or spend a little extra money and get another brand of stock system besides the Tapco.
To answer your original question, you just kind of twist that pin you were talking about as you pull it and it should come right off for you. The pin itself wont come all the way out so dont force it.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #4

Liked 194 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Not that I have anything against the Tapco stocks, hell I have a ATI on my 10/22, I just think the SKS looks so cool in it's natural state.

Jim

Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Liked 1438 Times on 825 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

I have the Tapco set up on my SKS. I did use my gas tube with the new parts. It took a little fitting. But it really wasn't that bad. My 20 round Tapco mags work great. But the rail is a waste. It is too loose to hold any kind of zero.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2206 Times on 1134 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky_Rebel68 View Post
Ok more specifically has anyone done this to their sks I bought the stock because the wood on the gas system had been broken and cracked baldy due to a drop by the former owner so I need to know if anyone has done this to theirs, because I can not figure out how to get the damn cover on it or figure out how, do you simply knock out the pin on the rear of the gas system? If you need pics of the problem just ask
I'll post them tomorrow
It's been a while, but I seem to recall the instructions saying to just knock out the pin. I destroyed the wood piece during this step, so I was sort of committed to making the replacement plastic piece work. I ended up drilling the stupid pin out, the darned thing wouldn't budge. The new plastic cover did need some filing & sanding to fit, not really an issue.
I'll be the first to admit that the Tapco stock isn't the greatest thing ever made, but it does the job and it looks ok. I bought it because I'm 6'3" and the OEM stock was designed for some 5'6" Chinese draftee. It was like shooting a little kid's rifle. I really hated the ugly little rubber spacer thingy to increase the length of pull. The adjustable stock was worth the $60ish I paid for it.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 07-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #7

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I believe the pin on the gas tube is beveled so it only goes in and out one way.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2206 Times on 1134 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I believe the pin on the gas tube is beveled so it only goes in and out one way.
That's what the instructions said too. Didn't matter, it wasn't moving. Neither direction worked. Stuck is stuck.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 07-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #9

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Great, mine are probably the same then. Planning on ordering a Tapco stock next week but I can't decide onthe one with the rail on the bottom or not. I want to put a handle on the front but I don't want it to be wobbly.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Timbersmith makes some good ones too. I got this one for mine. I did have to take the pin out of the piston tube to change the hand guard piece.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130728_152657.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  28.8 KB