Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   SKS Tapco mag problem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/sks-tapco-mag-problem-76932/)

gogogopher 11-23-2012 03:08 PM

SKS Tapco mag problem

Hi all,

Need some advice on a new mag I bought for an old. seldom used sks that I dug outta the closet.

The mag that came with the gun seems to have much thinner lips than the new Tapco mag I bought. This sets the next round to be fed in lower resulting in about every other round jamming.

Are there different mags that are better or is there an adjustment I can do??

Any input would be great ! Thanks

SSGN_Doc 11-23-2012 04:36 PM

The stock military mag is the most reliable mag you can put in an SKS.

The Chinese had some 20 rounders that were reliable. Might be able to find some out there on the internet. Tapco and Promags though, suck.

dragunovsks 11-25-2012 06:15 PM

In my opinion nobody makes a detachable sks mag worth a dime. I've had 3 steel mags, none of which ever fed a single round into my chamber without jamming and a promag that would feed a couple then jam but only if it was loaded with less than 10 rounds, all were 30 rounders.

I just use stripper clips, much more reliable and much easier to carry.

Overkill0084 11-25-2012 06:52 PM

The way I've always understood it is, you can have a reliable SKS or you can have detachable mags. Pick one.
Mine has never failed to feed even the cheapest crap I could find, using the OEM setup. I see no point in spending the money to convert it to a less reliable setup. YMMV.

SSGN_Doc 11-25-2012 07:30 PM

Yeah. I generally will tel folks if they want reliable high capacity feeding in a commie gun then go for the AK. I hate seeing folks try to turn an SKS into something it is not.

dragunovsks 11-25-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Yeah. I generally will tel folks if they want reliable high capacity feeding in a commie gun then go for the AK. I hate seeing folks try to turn an SKS into something it is not.

True, I wish id joined this site and asked questions before I tried to do just that. I got those 4 mags at 20 bucks a pop, later got a top cover with a scope rail on it and couldn't hit sh**, paid 30 I think for it. I did put it in an ATI Dragunov stock which I don't regret, but all the other crap I do regret. I could've bought a lot of ammo with that money.

Ruger22lr 11-26-2012 12:22 PM

Yeah it's kinda a waste to buy detachable mags for an SKS they really don't work.

orangello 11-26-2012 12:49 PM

I have had zero issues with my tapco mags for my SKS; i think the difference may be that i use the tapco mags with my SKS in a tapco stock. I don't think the tapco mags are really designed to work with the original stock (or really with a stock other than a tapco stock). I also have a montecarlo-style stock that works very well with the original SKS mag.

dragunovsks 11-26-2012 02:13 PM

Not sure, I've never used tapco mags or thier stocks and don't really care to, not putting anymore money into it.