SKS stock input/opinions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS stock input/opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default SKS stock input/opinions

I recently purchased a used SKS of Chinese origin. I've been very satisfied with how it shoots, but would like to lighten it up a bit.

It currently has a "monte carlo" style stock that is comfortable for my frame (6'2ish, 220 lbs, 36" sleeves on my dress shirts). I am considering either a Tapco "fusion" or T6 stock or a "side folder" stock. I think the side folder looks better, but i doubt it would shoot as well as the Tapco models. I just can't decide which to get & do not think i need 3 different stocks for one used rifle (monte carlo will be kept as an optional). I am not opposed to changing stocks for the occasional hunting trip; I am opposed to buying a stock i'll never use. I do plan to remove the stock magazine & replace it with a tapco 20 rounder for non-hunting use. I am aware that i will need to start counting parts for 922 when i make a change. This gun has the spike bayonet, but i will be removing it (hopefully to be replaced by a bipod).

Opinions, advice, information, or offers of used stocks are welcome.

SKS-075 - Tapco Fusion SKS Rifle System with Rail Black Includes Handguard Pistol Grip Stock
fusion

SKS-070 - TAPCO SKS T6 Collapsible Stock Black Six-Position M4 Type Glass-Filled Nylon
T-6

SKS-200 - SKS Ultralight Folding Stock Pistol Grip Handguard with Black Glass Filled Nylon
a folder stock

This SKS-540 - SKS Monte Carlo Stock Black Handguard with Recoil Pad looks like the stock on the gun currently.

Not to sound like a limp-wristed fashionista, but i would prefer an olive drab stock if i can get one.

Thanks for your assistance! I am sure this isn't a new question; i'm looking for recent opinions/info.

Additionally, if you have any input regarding a low power telescopic sight or a "red dot"-type sight for the SKS, feel welcome to post it up.

Last edited by orangello; 05-14-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

C'mon guys, help me bubba this thing right.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh come on; i just want your opinion as a fellow gun owner. It didn't come with the original wood, so i can't de-bubba it.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #4

Check out Suvivor's SKS Boards a lot of good info over there.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got the folder stock on mine and I love it. As far as shooting, I get 1.5" groups @ 100. Plus it looks bad-ass. I had a red dot on it, but had some scope mount issues, so I can't help you there.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
C'mon guys, help me bubba this thing right.
A friend of mine tried to trick-out his SKS with the Tapco side folder. It was a real POS. Too much slop and play at the hinge, even in the 'locked" position, and it looked as though it would break if it was dropped.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys! I ended up ordering the tapco t-6 this weekend. I plan to hang on to the montecarlo stock it has now incase the tapco doesn't work for me. I have my doubts on the scope mount i ordered, but i'll give it a chance.

I'll post a pic when i get it together.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 AM   #8

I put a Butler Creek Sporter stock on mine and like it just fine

Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #9

i put the tapco colapsible on my para trooper so its real short now if the stocks colapsed

Old 06-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #10

I have a Chinese SKS too.

I bought the Tapco T6 with bottom rail.

I dont suggest mounting the scope on the receiver as all I heard were bad things unless your a decent gun smith and know what your doing. Apparently it looses zero every 5 rounds.

I'm mounting a red dot on the top rail a vertical grip on the bottom rail and a laser on the side rail (side rail ordered separately)

I talk to this guy up in VT he knows everything about SKS and can sell you all the parts at a good price too.

Paul's Guns - The SKSMAN - Products Listing Page- Your source for SKS Rifle and AK-47 accessories
or just call he will talk as much as you want.

603-429-1494 9am-9pm EST