Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   SKS stock input/opinions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/sks-stock-input-opinions-13869/)

orangello 05-14-2009 04:47 PM

SKS stock input/opinions

I recently purchased a used SKS of Chinese origin. I've been very satisfied with how it shoots, but would like to lighten it up a bit.

It currently has a "monte carlo" style stock that is comfortable for my frame (6'2ish, 220 lbs, 36" sleeves on my dress shirts). I am considering either a Tapco "fusion" or T6 stock or a "side folder" stock. I think the side folder looks better, but i doubt it would shoot as well as the Tapco models. I just can't decide which to get & do not think i need 3 different stocks for one used rifle (monte carlo will be kept as an optional). I am not opposed to changing stocks for the occasional hunting trip; I am opposed to buying a stock i'll never use. I do plan to remove the stock magazine & replace it with a tapco 20 rounder for non-hunting use. I am aware that i will need to start counting parts for 922 when i make a change. This gun has the spike bayonet, but i will be removing it (hopefully to be replaced by a bipod).

Opinions, advice, information, or offers of used stocks are welcome.

SKS-075 - Tapco Fusion SKS Rifle System with Rail Black Includes Handguard Pistol Grip Stock
fusion

SKS-070 - TAPCO SKS T6 Collapsible Stock Black Six-Position M4 Type Glass-Filled Nylon
T-6

SKS-200 - SKS Ultralight Folding Stock Pistol Grip Handguard with Black Glass Filled Nylon
a folder stock

This SKS-540 - SKS Monte Carlo Stock Black Handguard with Recoil Pad looks like the stock on the gun currently.

Not to sound like a limp-wristed fashionista, but i would prefer an olive drab stock if i can get one. :o

Thanks for your assistance! I am sure this isn't a new question; i'm looking for recent opinions/info.

Additionally, if you have any input regarding a low power telescopic sight or a "red dot"-type sight for the SKS, feel welcome to post it up. :)

orangello 05-17-2009 06:59 PM

C'mon guys, help me bubba this thing right.

orangello 05-19-2009 01:35 AM

Oh come on; i just want your opinion as a fellow gun owner. It didn't come with the original wood, so i can't de-bubba it.

DogRanger 05-19-2009 01:55 AM

Check out Suvivor's SKS Boards a lot of good info over there.

suprdave 05-23-2009 08:29 PM

I've got the folder stock on mine and I love it. As far as shooting, I get 1.5" groups @ 100. Plus it looks bad-ass. I had a red dot on it, but had some scope mount issues, so I can't help you there.

RL357Mag 05-23-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 106787)
C'mon guys, help me bubba this thing right.

A friend of mine tried to trick-out his SKS with the Tapco side folder. It was a real POS. Too much slop and play at the hinge, even in the 'locked" position, and it looked as though it would break if it was dropped.

orangello 05-25-2009 01:28 PM

Thanks guys! I ended up ordering the tapco t-6 this weekend. I plan to hang on to the montecarlo stock it has now incase the tapco doesn't work for me. I have my doubts on the scope mount i ordered, but i'll give it a chance.

I'll post a pic when i get it together.

bullseye57 06-04-2009 12:17 AM

I put a Butler Creek Sporter stock on mine and like it just fine

gun nuts 06-12-2009 09:15 PM

i put the tapco colapsible on my para trooper so its real short now if the stocks colapsed

LtpLegend 06-12-2009 11:49 PM

I have a Chinese SKS too.

I bought the Tapco T6 with bottom rail.

I dont suggest mounting the scope on the receiver as all I heard were bad things unless your a decent gun smith and know what your doing. Apparently it looses zero every 5 rounds.

I'm mounting a red dot on the top rail a vertical grip on the bottom rail and a laser on the side rail (side rail ordered separately)

I talk to this guy up in VT he knows everything about SKS and can sell you all the parts at a good price too.

Paul's Guns - The SKSMAN - Products Listing Page- Your source for SKS Rifle and AK-47 accessories
or just call he will talk as much as you want.

603-429-1494 9am-9pm EST