Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   SKS Squib. Help! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/sks-squib-help-99127/)

zaitsev44 10-19-2013 02:03 AM

SKS Squib. Help!

2 Attachment(s)
I have a squib round in my SKS from using Tula Ammo. I have never dealt with one and need help on how to get it out without damaging the rifling.

Attachment 122959

Attachment 122960

SSGN_Doc 10-19-2013 02:14 AM

Make sure the shell is out if the chamber so there is no chance of any other priming chemical or powder injuring you.

Use a brass rod and mallet to drive the bullet out. The brass is softer than the chrome lining or steel of the barrel. Brass rod stock can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.

zaitsev44 10-19-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Make sure the shell is out if the chamber so there is no chance of any other priming chemical or powder injuring you. Use a brass rod and mallet to drive the bullet out. The brass is softer than the chrome lining or steel of the barrel. Brass rod stock can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.

Ok I know there's no shell in there, I'll get the remaining unburnt powder out. I have a brass cleaning rod and rubber mallet. Thank you.

Cheever 10-19-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1405894)
Make sure the shell is out if the chamber so there is no chance of any other priming chemical or powder injuring you.

Use a brass rod and mallet to drive the bullet out. The brass is softer than the chrome lining or steel of the barrel. Brass rod stock can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.

This is exactly how we do it at the gunstore. Just as long as there is one bullet. If there is more you may be SOL. After you get it out inspect the bore carefully you may have put a bulge in the barrel. IMHO I think you should stop shooting cheap ammo.

zaitsev44 10-19-2013 02:21 AM

Yeah this is the last time I'm shooting Tula. This is the second time Tula has caused me problems. I'll spend a few more dollars a box rather than buy cheap and risk damaging the rifle or injuring myself.

Cheever 10-19-2013 02:23 AM

Rubber mallet may not do it. You may need a good steel hammer to get the job done. 7.62 bullets have a lot of surface area with a lot of friction being generated as you try to drive that sicker out.

c3shooter 10-19-2013 02:54 AM

Brass CLEANING rod may not do. Solid brass rod. Plastic mallet. Good padded vise. Warm the area where the bullet is stuck briefly with a heat gun or hair dryer (warm barrel expands just a tad)

zaitsev44 10-19-2013 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got her out. Two light time on my Mosins cleaning rod and it came out of there. Here she is Attachment 122981

MisterMcCool 10-19-2013 04:51 AM

It looks flawless :confused:

DrumJunkie 10-19-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1406089)
It looks flawless :confused:

My corn-fuzed thoughts exactly...and stop it..you know that makes me crazy...