SKS scoped - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS scoped

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
IMHO, the best choice is to buy one of the models that require drilling and tapping. Mounting a scope to parts that are removed as part of normal maintenance seems a bit self defeating, if one actually cares about maintaining zero. A wobbly scope mount probably ought to not be a scope mount. YMMV.
This covers the subject nicely:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/choatesksscope/
I've used several of the years and the only ones I seen that worked any good at all where the ones that either the drill and tapped type and one or two that had screws that tightened on the receiver. The drill and tap ones should be better and but some don't want t put holes in. The others will mark the receiver but then you have the idea that the marks will allow you to put it in the same place every time so maybe that is a plus.

There just isn't a way to put a scope on in the rear without some pretty big changes. Me, I changed to a TAPCO stock and put a holo red dot on the rail o the gas tube. It' stays put and I don't shoot it at distances where I need any magnification....yet anyway...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #12

Liked 2465 Times on 1600 Posts

I put the file in dust cover type on a Chinese years ago. It turned out decent, 4-5 inch accuracy at 100 yards with wolf fmj. It was tight when done, which as previously mentioned, is the key to being successful with this project.

Op: find a good welder in your area and have him/her fill in the flats and start over.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I hate to give up on it. My son wanted something that had a harder hit on feral hogs than my Bushmaster AR-15. We have a feral hog problem near here. He and some friends killed 16 mostly with mostly AR's. They go down quick if hit in the right spot from what I saw on his video's. Most kills were 100 yards or less. Thought I'd pull the SKS out of the safe and juice it up for him. Killing these hogs is not for the faint of heart. They are dangerous when wounded. I've learn a lot about the SKS and appreciate the posts, especially the video sent. Don't want to start a debate on 7.62 vs 5.56 but I spent a year in Vietnam launching 5.56 at bad guys and have no complaints about it. I have 600 rds left of a couple battle packs ( South African surplus) that still tumble. Ill send him back with it. I'll send him

Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

A buddy put peep sights on one of his SKSs years ago, I believe its a Williams. Night and day difference vs the stock ramp sight. I havent seen it recently to recall just how it mounted tho. I do know that it'll smack our 650yd gong all day, but the 850 is a real challenge for it.