SKS scoped
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS scoped

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default SKS scoped

Bought a kit off e-bay that is a pretty good deal for less than $50. The kit includes a new "rear housing" ( the first part to come off in disassembly). The new part is oversized and must be filed down to fit you rifle and its manufacturers tolerance. My rifle is 54' Russian. It took a couple hours to get it right on the money. It comes with 1" rings and a Barska scope that's has some good clarity. I'm not looking for a 'sniper rifle' - my 64 yr old eyes can't handle the ramp sights very well anymore. It's a fairly nice package - Chinese made, and is rigid and sturdy. You'll have a pleasant afternoon feeling like a gunsmith. Just take your time and file then fit.

image-4271952509.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #2

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

It looks good! Planning on doing the same thing on my russian sks. Planning on putting a brass deflector on it too. My other one gets hit often by the ejected brass.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I have seen countless receiver cover mounts fail over the years. They either wobble badly or snap off under recoil. Hopefully you got one that will actually work as intended.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #4

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Mine works OK...

Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I haven't shot it yet. I checked it for wobble. There is some play. I didn't do as good a job as I thought. There was a problem with the retention pin aligning with the hole in the receiver. I had to file the hole in the new part to get the pin to lock properly. Before you file too much off the front, check the hole alignment. It must be a tight fit as the pin has an eccentric locking function.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have seen countless receiver cover mounts fail over the years. They either wobble badly or snap off under recoil. Hopefully you got one that will actually work as intended.
IMHO, the best choice is to buy one of the models that require drilling and tapping. Mounting a scope to parts that are removed as part of normal maintenance seems a bit self defeating, if one actually cares about maintaining zero. A wobbly scope mount probably ought to not be a scope mount. YMMV.
This covers the subject nicely:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/choatesksscope/
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1369 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 3476

I bought a scope and mount similar to the one mentioned by the OP and I am still waiting for it to come in. I will post here when the work is complete. Hopefully I will not have to do much milling to get it to fit properly.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'll let you know after I shoot it. I once had a Chinese made SKS that came new with the scope installed. It was a piece of crap. One large knurled screw held it on. I tried to make it all work but gave up on it. Sold it ASAP. I have doubts about how this project will end. I will put the original part back in and lick my $50.00 wound. I love peep sights. May be the old Marine in me, but peep sights rule. So, so much better than ramp sights. Does anyone know of a way to modify an SKS to peep sights? My eyes work well with the peep sight on my 03' Springfield and my M-1 Garand.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I bought one for a friend off ebay. I also installed it. Wow, sure was a lot of work. He did get a deer that season with it. I don't recommend this type.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #10

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

The main thing about this type of scope base is you have to take your time with a file. The object is to make it fit tight so the scope doesn't move around very much. This is a tedius project but if done right, its a beuitiful thing because you get some accurasy out of your gun. Thats why these thing don't fit from the factory. Plus every SKS is not the same as far as those thousands of an inch space these things fit it. Don't discard them as junk. Just take your time with them. If you mess up, they are cheap enough to buy another and start over. If done right you have accomplished a gun smithing task that you can be proud of.