SKS scope mount
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS scope mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 565 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 2862

Default SKS scope mount

Has anyone solidly mounted a scope base on top of their SKS receiver? I don't mean the ones that replace the receiver. I mean like a flat scope mount that has had screw holes drilled and tapped into the top of the receiver.

I am thinking about going that route with my SKS. I am tired of having to reZero my scope after a good cleaning.

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

Liked 209 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 284

this is a good one, easy install

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 08-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That one looks ok, and I found some decent reviews, but I was thinking about mounting a scope rail to the top of the receiver. I was wondering if anyone had tried it? I thank you for this suggestion as it might be the way I go. I don't care for the mount I have been using for the last 19 to 20 years.
Thanks again for the suggestion!

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2443 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Does your rifle eject upward? My first concern would be to keep the scope out of the way.

Top mounts are difficult with the SKS. I have not done any. Can only tell you, the rear dust cover and the gas tube are both poor scope platforms. The only sure thing is the dog leg mount on the side rail, but you said you don't want it.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #5

I have a cheapo HQ ISSUE® 2.5-10x40mm Laser Scope mounted on the mount I suggested
on a tapco conversion stock with no rounds deflecting off my scope and it will drive nails at 200 yards is bout as far as I would ever need to shoot in my neck of the woods.
any bigger scope would be overkill anyway.
But that's just me.

NRA
GOA

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 08-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #6

Liked 1979 Times on 1089 Posts
Likes Given: 1309

I have the Tapco stock. It has the hand guard/gas tube with the rail on top of it. What a piece of crap! The scope might as well be tied on top with a piece of rope! It shoots 2 foot groups at 100 yards. What a joke. There is just way too much slop in the gas tube assembly. I took it off. I just use the iron sights.

I was at a gun show and saw a rail attached to the dust cover of one. I thought it was going to be loose. So I picked it up to look at it. It was a really tight fit. It did not move at all. But I think it was a home job. I think the guy drilled and tapped the original cover that went to the gun. I could not bring myself to do that to my SKS. I have the Tapco stock and everything. But I kept all the original stuff for it. I can put it back to the way it came anytime I want.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 08-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Does your rifle eject upward? My first concern would be to keep the scope out of the way.

Top mounts are difficult with the SKS. I have not done any. Can only tell you, the rear dust cover and the gas tube are both poor scope platforms. The only sure thing is the dog leg mount on the side rail, but you said you don't want it.
I did not say I did not want it. I said I was thinking about trying to mount a rail on the receiver top. I may have to try the side mount, as I sure don't like the mount that I have that has the screws and locking nuts that fit to the side rail on both sides.

And yes it does eject upwards. And I use stripper clips also.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks st8line, I may break down and buy one.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have the Tapco stock. It has the hand guard/gas tube with the rail on top of it. What a piece of crap! The scope might as well be tied on top with a piece of rope! It shoots 2 foot groups at 100 yards. What a joke. There is just way too much slop in the gas tube assembly. I took it off. I just use the iron sights.

I was at a gun show and saw a rail attached to the dust cover of one. I thought it was going to be loose. So I picked it up to look at it. It was a really tight fit. It did not move at all. But I think it was a home job. I think the guy drilled and tapped the original cover that went to the gun. I could not bring myself to do that to my SKS. I have the Tapco stock and everything. But I kept all the original stuff for it. I can put it back to the way it came anytime I want.
ya the picatinny rail on the gas tube cover is too far forward to mount optics anyway
the dust cover mount or the after market dust cover with built in picatinny rail and a short scope mounted is the way to go if you want to use a scope on the SKS.

NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 08-23-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2443 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
I did not say I did not want it. I said I was thinking about trying to mount a rail on the receiver top. I may have to try the side mount, as I sure don't like the mount that I have that has the screws and locking nuts that fit to the side rail on both sides.

And yes it does eject upwards. And I use stripper clips also.
An AK monorail is the most practical solution. Once you get it on, you can use a QD Picatinny mount or an integrated Warsaw Pact scope module.

The scope may hold zero by itself, but a receiver cover might not. It wasn't meant to be a scope base, it may have a tiny bit free play and vibration.