SKS performance - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
Foul quicker, so if you clean them regularly they would be ok? Or are they prone to rusting out and having dirt embed in them.
chrome lined barrels are suited for battle field situations where you might not be able to clean a rifle like it needs to be.

example. the slicker a surface is, the harder it is for something to stick to it.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 199 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
If I could hit a person at 300 yards that would be optimal, but as long as it was very accurate at 100 yards atleast that would be fine for what I would want to use it for.

Some real nice hardly used Chinese SKSes online, are Chinese SKS with chrome barrel called or made by Norinco?
You can easily hit a man sized target at 300 plus yards. Your shots may be placed all over and you wouldnt get a good group but you can hit it. I can nail get 4 inch groups easily at 100 yards with iron sights and I am not what you would call a skilled marksman. I have nailed 8 inch gongs 20 out of 20 times on several occasions at that distance.

Last edited by ccase39; 10-03-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the SKS wasn't made for it to be accurate, though some were. it was a battle rifle made to used by soldiers with minimal instruction and able to function under less than ideal conditions with little maintenance.

it's accuracy was further hindered by the round it used as well. look at this comparison of the 7.62x39mm vs. the 30-30.

http://www.hornady.com/store/7.62X39-123-gr-SST/

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-Win-150-gr-RN-CustomLite/

Old 10-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My issue with the non-chromed barrels is condition. Many of the Yugo rifles I have seen have been used; a non-chromed bore that has seen battle or guard use with military ammo (some with corrosive primers) is not something I would want. I advise against them on the basis that some of us might not notice a little wear or pitting from poor maintenance.

My nephew recently picked up a couple of SKS's of the older Chinese type with the blade bayonets; interweb rumor is that this batch was sent from china to Yugoslavia for use in the war that ended that country. They had reeeeeeally rough/seasoned stocks as did the whole lot his FFL buddy got in, didn't look like the typical Chinese stocks at all. I guess they would be "Chugo's".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #15

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

My question would be what do you really want its primary use to be?

As others said, the Simonov designed carbine has been made by many different countries. Russian ones show some of the nicest machine work, as do the Yugoslav versions. Some Russian versions had no chrome lining, some had chromed bores but non-chromed chambers. Yugoslav versions that I've seen have no chrome lining. Some Yugos have grenade launchers some don't. I prefer a non-grenade launcher version if the SKS because I've seen the gas cutoff valve move and prevent cycling without being intentionally shut off.

For a shooting gun I like the Chinese versions because of the chrome lined barrels and chambers. There were old military issued Chinese SKSs brought in during the 1980s and early '90s that were rough looking but still good shooters. Then the Commercial Norinco versions became the most common. I prefer a chromed bore and chamber for surplus guns because if the possibility of shooting corrosive surplus ammo in them. Also a lot of 7.62x39 ammo uses mild steel jacketed bullets and the chrome bore will improve barrel life when using these harder jacketed bullets.

Weak points if the SKS design are the intermediate piston that can break, and be tough to find a replacement for. On grenade launcher equipped rifles the gas cutoff can be a weak link in both self cutoff or breakage and replacement. Mounting of optics can be a problem, as the rifle was not originally designed for them. There are replacement action covers that have scope mounts, but retaining zero after disassembly and reassembly can be a problem. Triggers are military grade and can vary greatly from rifle to rifle in creep, travel and pull weight as well as grittiness. Consistency if manufacture is another factor. You ask how accurate they can be, but accuracy can vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer and individual rifle to rifle because they were mass produced for volume and not for precision. Ammo is your other weak link. Manufacturers are numerous, and quality varies a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from lot to lot.

Depending on what your primary goal is for the gun to accomplish the round may be lacking in precision, or power at ranges past 200 or 300 yds. It is generally weaker than a .30-30 in energy, because the majority of loads runs at or below .30-30 velocity and use 123 gr bullets that can have as bad or worse ballistic coefficients than .30-30 bullets in the 150 gr weight range. Most hunters limit their shots on deer to 200 yds or less with a .30-30 if they don't want to chase the deer a long way past the 200+ yd head start they began with.

An SKS can shine as a brush hunting gun for small deer and hogs in thick woods where ranges are going to be 100 yds or less.

Accuracy I have gotten with Chinese and Russian SKSs with chromed bore have been as tight as 1.75 inches at 100yds for 5 shots to not being able to get groups tighter than 6 inches at the same range. That was due to ammo with one particularly accurate Chinese SKS that shot both the best and worst groups. The Russian shot a bit more consistent but I never fed it that horrible batch of ammo. Best group was 1.8 inches and worst was 3.5. (These were all attempts to get good groups from a sandbag rest in a bench, I have shot worse when standing and just blasting away for fun).

Old 10-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #16

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

I own an original 1954 Russian that will hold 3" groups at 200 yards. Admittedly, this is exceptional for an SKS and requires a skilled shooter because the triggers suck.

The only weak point with the platform is scope mounting because a solid mount requires tapping the receiver with a side mount. Other than that its a solid rifle that's hell and back reliable that shoots an effective and economical round.

Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Tack

Quote:
How accurate would a very well maintained or new SKS be at varying ranges provided a skilled shooter? Also, what are the weak points of an SKS rifle, and who makes a better version of the rifle with high quality parts?

I heard Yugoslavian are good becuase they were imported more recently 1990-2000 so there should be less wear on a good portion of them. Are there any mainstream productions of SKS rifles, for instance how Colt produces an AR-15?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
CJx

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I own an original 1954 Russian that will hold 3" groups at 200 yards. Admittedly, this is exceptional for an SKS and requires a skilled shooter because the triggers suck.

The only weak point with the platform is scope mounting because a solid mount requires tapping the receiver with a side mount. Other than that its a solid rifle that's hell and back reliable that shoots an effective and economical round.

Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Tack
How do you get such good grouping with your rifle? Any modifications? Or are the 1950 Russian models just good?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views, and why conservatives don't conserve crap.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #18

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
I would want an SKS to kill bad guys on in an outdoor environment at atleast 100 yards.
Not too many scenarios where shooting at bad guys is considered self defense if they are at that distance. But the rifle/round is definitely capable of being lethal at intermediate rifle ranges (100-300 meters).

Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
How do you get such good grouping with your rifle? Any modifications? Or are the 1950 Russian models just good?
Get lucky and get a really good rifle and learn how to shoot it really well.
Shooting a rifle at longer distances really well takes practice. You cna have a literal tack driver and if you don't know how to use it well it's just another rifle.
A minor mistake that misses at 100 is magnifies exponentially at 300 yds.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 199 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Not too many scenarios where shooting at bad guys is considered self defense if they are at that distance. But the rifle/round is definitely capable of being lethal at intermediate rifle ranges (100-300 meters).
LOL good point.