SKS performance
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
CJx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default SKS performance

How accurate would a very well maintained or new SKS be at varying ranges provided a skilled shooter? Also, what are the weak points of an SKS rifle, and who makes a better version of the rifle with high quality parts?

I heard Yugoslavian are good becuase they were imported more recently 1990-2000 so there should be less wear on a good portion of them. Are there any mainstream productions of SKS rifles, for instance how Colt produces an AR-15?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views, and why conservatives don't conserve crap.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I prefer the chrome-lined Chinese SKS's to the Yugo's, especially the Yugo's with the weird grenade launcher gizmo.

The SKS's that I have shot and seen shot were pretty accurate for a non-scoped rifle. You do have to realize that 7.62x39mm is not a long-range rifle cartridge; the SKS is almost a carbine with a round designed for less recoil than a full-powered rifle like a .30-06. They are difficult to mount a scope on, because they were not designed for that.

The Ruskies make them brand new, but we aren't allowed to buy them. I am not aware of any reproductions of the SKS. http://molot.biz/product-e/op-ckc.php

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-03-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
You do have to realize that 7.62x39mm is not a long-range rifle cartridge;
If I could hit a person at 300 yards that would be optimal, but as long as it was very accurate at 100 yards atleast that would be fine for what I would want to use it for.

Some real nice hardly used Chinese SKSes online, are Chinese SKS with chrome barrel called or made by Norinco?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views, and why conservatives don't conserve crap.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

this here will give you some indication of what the SKS is about. there were many different variants from other commie-bloc countrys. another factor to consider is, the cartridge used, the 7.62x39mm which is only marginally better than a 30-30 cartridge. the SKS wasn't designed to be accurate, but able to put many rounds down range quickly.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/awesum-day-range-96892/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9739mm

Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

I have two norinco SKS rifles. Both of them are just as accurate as my model 60 marlin at close range. They aren't good for much but punching holes in paper.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have two norinco SKS rifles. Both of them are just as accurate as my model 60 marlin at close range. They aren't good for much but punching holes in paper.
Why is this? You wouldn't take this rifle for a self defense situation?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
If I could hit a person at 300 yards that would be optimal, but as long as it was very accurate at 100 yards atleast that would be fine for what I would want to use it for.

Some real nice hardly used Chinese SKSes online, are Chinese SKS with chrome barrel called or made by Norinco?
You should be good at 100 yards, better with better ammo; the cheapo ammo is alleged to be less consistently loaded, impairing accuracy at a distance.

Norinco is a company of the Chinese government and is, to my knowledge, the same as "Chinese" except the labeling.

The SKS was "the poor man's deer rifle" down here for many years, and is still used as such to some extent.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I personally am not the biggest fan of a chrome lined bbl in most rifles. I've found them to be easier to clean but not quite as accurate. It's not a huge difference but it seems to be a little off. The longer distance we shoot the more a slight issue will look like a bigger one. The upside in the SKS story though is they are to me at least only a 100 150 yd rifle. I will try longer shots but if I was to miss I wouldn't be as upset

The Chinese SKS are not bad but I like the Russians a little more when it comes to overall accuracy. I do own a Chinese SKS though and would get another one. If you cna find a Chinese D or M model at a good price grab it. THey are not all that easy to come by these days.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I personally am not the biggest fan of a chrome lined bbl in most rifles. I've found them to be easier to clean but not quite as accurate. It's not a huge difference but it seems to be a little off. The longer distance we shoot the more a slight issue will look like a bigger one. The upside in the SKS story though is they are to me at least only a 100 150 yd rifle. I will try longer shots but if I was to miss I wouldn't be as upset

The Chinese SKS are not bad but I like the Russians a little more when it comes to overall accuracy. I do own a Chinese SKS though and would get another one. If you cna find a Chinese D or M model at a good price grab it. THey are not all that easy to come by these days.
i have heard that as well, that if wanting better accuracy, then the non-chrome lined barrels are better, but foul quicker than the chrome lined barrels.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have heard that as well, that if wanting better accuracy, then the non-chrome lined barrels are better, but foul quicker than the chrome lined barrels.
Foul quicker, so if you clean them regularly they would be ok? Or are they prone to rusting out and having dirt embed in them.