sks or mosin nagant? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

sks or mosin nagant?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Bill Clinton made sure the better SKS rifles couldn't be imported into the US. Norinco makes an SKS with a 10 shot internal magazine that is a great shooter. Clinton had to repay Bill Ruger for standing with him on the AWB. So Clinton banned the SKS that is just as good as a mini 30 by executive order.

If you can afford an SKS at today's prices you can buy a great modern rifle with a scope for the same money. Savage has a great combo with a Nikon scope for SKS money. You can find the savage combo at most big box stores. Buds gun shop has a nice selection of savages.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/78136/Savage+11+Trophy+Hunter+XP+.300+Win+Mag+wNikon+3-9x40
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2059 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

It's too bad that Americans have such a disposable culture, military included. Imagine if we had preserved all the 1903 Springfields, M1 Garrands and Carbines.....instead they are rare and awfully expensive

The Ruskies suffered like crazy in the first two world wars and they were going to be prepared if they ever had to fight another large land war. The Chinese Mosins I have seen look like crap and I would not want one. MN or SKS? For $500 you can have both!
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,382
Liked 3317 Times on 1882 Posts
Likes Given: 2395

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
o

If you can afford an SKS at today's prices you can buy a great modern rifle with a scope for the same money. Savage has a great combo with a Nikon scope for SKS money.
There ya go.

Unless you are a military collector, there

really are better deals on lighter, better

made, more accurate rifles out there.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
It's too bad that Americans have such a disposable culture, military included. Imagine if we had preserved all the 1903 Springfields, M1 Garrands and Carbines.....instead they are rare and awfully expensive

The Ruskies suffered like crazy in the first two world wars and they were going to be prepared if they ever had to fight another large land war. The Chinese Mosins I have seen look like crap and I would not want one. MN or SKS? For $500 you can have both!
Last year you could buy an SKS for $250. Now you can't touch a POS European SKS for $500. You won't find a mosin nagant in any gun shop with matching serial numbers for less than $200. Gun shops act like a forced matched 91/30 is the next Anschutz.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,451
Liked 3885 Times on 2520 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

Last year you could buy an SKS for $250. Now you can't touch a POS European SKS for $500. You won't find a mosin nagant in any gun shop with matching serial numbers for less than $200. Gun shops act like a forced matched 91/30 is the next Anschutz.
Maybe in your area. I saw a Russian sks go for $450, the only thing wrong with it was minor scratches on the stock. The Yugos are consistently going for $400.

Round receiver mosins are $140, hexes are $165 all day long, and those are with all the accessories.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hq357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 712
Liked 84 Times on 67 Posts

Default

Sks are going for 350$ im my area
hq357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,451
Liked 3885 Times on 2520 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Sks are going for 350$ im my area
The $400 was what I saw on armslist. If I was in the market I wouldn't pay that much for a yugo. I would prefer the norinco as a personal preference.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #28
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,763
Liked 7292 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
It's too bad that Americans have such a disposable culture, military included. Imagine if we had preserved all the 1903 Springfields, M1 Garrands and Carbines.....instead they are rare and awfully expensive

The Ruskies suffered like crazy in the first two world wars and they were going to be prepared if they ever had to fight another large land war. The Chinese Mosins I have seen look like crap and I would not want one. MN or SKS? For $500 you can have both!
the ruskies are just doing what we did shortly after the korean war. we rearsenaled a good portion of our warstock sold some off to friendly nations and sold the ones not worth arsenaling to outfits like the cmp. up till about 1990 m1 garand and carbines and the 1903 including snipers were as cheap and plentiful as mosins. they sold FAST. most are still in private hands and account for a sizeable ammount of firearms in private hands.

the russians filled that desire for cheap war surplus when the american guns dried up.

most of the american ww1/ww2/korea stockpiles werent scrapped they were sold to the american people as the military switched to the m16. as we phased out the m16 in favor of the m16a2 and m4 even the m16a1 wasnt scrapped most of them were sold off as parts minus nfa lower.

so we arent disposing of em as almost all that stuff is now in private hands.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 28
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default

This year has seen SKS prices go a bit higher, on-line auction prices are tracked here: GunStockMarket SKS Sales.

Don't assume that SKS rifles from countries other than China are POS as commented above. The Yugo SKS was built to a high standard, sure it's not a chrome lined barrel, but it's as solid as any other. One of my personal M59 (not the M59/66, I have those too) is the best shooting SKS I own.
reloader762 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2059 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
the ruskies are just doing what we did shortly after the korean war. we rearsenaled a good portion of our warstock sold some off to friendly nations and sold the ones not worth arsenaling to outfits like the cmp. up till about 1990 m1 garand and carbines and the 1903 including snipers were as cheap and plentiful as mosins. they sold FAST. most are still in private hands and account for a sizeable ammount of firearms in private hands. the russians filled that desire for cheap war surplus when the american guns dried up. most of the american ww1/ww2/korea stockpiles werent scrapped they were sold to the american people as the military switched to the m16. as we phased out the m16 in favor of the m16a2 and m4 even the m16a1 wasnt scrapped most of them were sold off as parts minus nfa lower. so we arent disposing of em as almost all that stuff is now in private hands.
Maybe so Jon but the numbers involved pale in comparison to what the Russians cranked out. And I do believe those folks have taken their stockpiling a lot more seriously than we ever did. Which is surely a result of losing 20 million people in the 'Great Patriotic War' versus the US's losses at less than a half million men and next to zero civilians.
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
boyds mosin nagant stock & firefield mosin nagant pu scope mosin762 General Rifle Discussion 2 10-19-2013 09:05 PM
mosin nagant help Ultimate_sig General Rifle Discussion 19 06-22-2013 06:47 PM
Mosin Nagant two-fer VitSports6 Curio & Relic Discussion 21 02-09-2012 08:45 PM
Mosin nagant carbine or 1950 polish nagant trainer Nun Curio & Relic Discussion 4 10-12-2011 03:30 AM
Mosin-Nagant M91/30 murraywc General Rifle Discussion 48 06-09-2011 09:27 PM