Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > sks or mosin nagant?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Bill Clinton made sure the better SKS rifles couldn't be imported into the US. Norinco makes an SKS with a 10 shot internal magazine that is a great shooter. Clinton had to repay Bill Ruger for standing with him on the AWB. So Clinton banned the SKS that is just as good as a mini 30 by executive order.

If you can afford an SKS at today's prices you can buy a great modern rifle with a scope for the same money. Savage has a great combo with a Nikon scope for SKS money. You can find the savage combo at most big box stores. Buds gun shop has a nice selection of savages.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/78136/Savage+11+Trophy+Hunter+XP+.300+Win+Mag+wNikon+3-9x40

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1797 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 358

It's too bad that Americans have such a disposable culture, military included. Imagine if we had preserved all the 1903 Springfields, M1 Garrands and Carbines.....instead they are rare and awfully expensive

The Ruskies suffered like crazy in the first two world wars and they were going to be prepared if they ever had to fight another large land war. The Chinese Mosins I have seen look like crap and I would not want one. MN or SKS? For $500 you can have both!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #23

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
o

If you can afford an SKS at today's prices you can buy a great modern rifle with a scope for the same money. Savage has a great combo with a Nikon scope for SKS money.
There ya go.

Unless you are a military collector, there

really are better deals on lighter, better

made, more accurate rifles out there.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1396 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
It's too bad that Americans have such a disposable culture, military included. Imagine if we had preserved all the 1903 Springfields, M1 Garrands and Carbines.....instead they are rare and awfully expensive

The Ruskies suffered like crazy in the first two world wars and they were going to be prepared if they ever had to fight another large land war. The Chinese Mosins I have seen look like crap and I would not want one. MN or SKS? For $500 you can have both!
Last year you could buy an SKS for $250. Now you can't touch a POS European SKS for $500. You won't find a mosin nagant in any gun shop with matching serial numbers for less than $200. Gun shops act like a forced matched 91/30 is the next Anschutz.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #25

Liked 2354 Times on 1531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

Last year you could buy an SKS for $250. Now you can't touch a POS European SKS for $500. You won't find a mosin nagant in any gun shop with matching serial numbers for less than $200. Gun shops act like a forced matched 91/30 is the next Anschutz.
Maybe in your area. I saw a Russian sks go for $450, the only thing wrong with it was minor scratches on the stock. The Yugos are consistently going for $400.

Round receiver mosins are $140, hexes are $165 all day long, and those are with all the accessories.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #26

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Sks are going for 350$ im my area

Old 12-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #27

Liked 2354 Times on 1531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Sks are going for 350$ im my area
The $400 was what I saw on armslist. If I was in the market I wouldn't pay that much for a yugo. I would prefer the norinco as a personal preference.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5328 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post

the ruskies are just doing what we did shortly after the korean war. we rearsenaled a good portion of our warstock sold some off to friendly nations and sold the ones not worth arsenaling to outfits like the cmp. up till about 1990 m1 garand and carbines and the 1903 including snipers were as cheap and plentiful as mosins. they sold FAST. most are still in private hands and account for a sizeable ammount of firearms in private hands.

the russians filled that desire for cheap war surplus when the american guns dried up.

most of the american ww1/ww2/korea stockpiles werent scrapped they were sold to the american people as the military switched to the m16. as we phased out the m16 in favor of the m16a2 and m4 even the m16a1 wasnt scrapped most of them were sold off as parts minus nfa lower.

so we arent disposing of em as almost all that stuff is now in private hands.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

This year has seen SKS prices go a bit higher, on-line auction prices are tracked here: GunStockMarket SKS Sales.

Don't assume that SKS rifles from countries other than China are POS as commented above. The Yugo SKS was built to a high standard, sure it's not a chrome lined barrel, but it's as solid as any other. One of my personal M59 (not the M59/66, I have those too) is the best shooting SKS I own.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1797 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
the ruskies are just doing what we did shortly after the korean war. we rearsenaled a good portion of our warstock sold some off to friendly nations and sold the ones not worth arsenaling to outfits like the cmp. up till about 1990 m1 garand and carbines and the 1903 including snipers were as cheap and plentiful as mosins. they sold FAST. most are still in private hands and account for a sizeable ammount of firearms in private hands. the russians filled that desire for cheap war surplus when the american guns dried up. most of the american ww1/ww2/korea stockpiles werent scrapped they were sold to the american people as the military switched to the m16. as we phased out the m16 in favor of the m16a2 and m4 even the m16a1 wasnt scrapped most of them were sold off as parts minus nfa lower. so we arent disposing of em as almost all that stuff is now in private hands.
Maybe so Jon but the numbers involved pale in comparison to what the Russians cranked out. And I do believe those folks have taken their stockpiling a lot more seriously than we ever did. Which is surely a result of losing 20 million people in the 'Great Patriotic War' versus the US's losses at less than a half million men and next to zero civilians.