Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   sks mods (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/sks-mods-52898/)

rembrant88 12-02-2011 02:53 AM

sks mods

My brother wants to buy my norinco sks and have me cut the barrel to 16" and ad a flash suppressor, convert to detachable mags, adjustable stock, red dot scope..... He wants to go all out on this thing just to make it look crazy. He had me build him a monster of a shotgun last year and now he wants a rifle. I'm looking for any ideas I haven't thought of or stock selection options. Any opinions are welcome. Anybody out there with pics of an outlandish sks? If so he want's to see some.

Anybody think this is crazy :eek:? If so that information could be useful also.

keymastr5912 12-02-2011 08:13 AM

tapco t-6 stock, tapco 20rd detachable mags. if you cut a standard sks to 16+ inches you will cut off the front site. i found another guy on a different sight that makes and sells a replacement front sight base. you also get into the atf 922 compliance thing where you can have no more than 10 of the 14-15 imported parts on it after you modify it. you will need to replace 4-5 of their listed parts with american parts. you get 2 parts for the stock and handguard, 2 more for the mag and follower. you can also put in a tapco gas piston and get a murrays trigger and sear.most sks's only need 4 parts swapped out. the yugo needs 5. by changing these out you can easily swap out 7-8 parts with american parts to keep atf off yur butt. i have dun this twice. any questions pm me.

1stMarine 12-02-2011 10:54 AM

Cutting an sks down in length is kinda pointless in my opinion. You sacrifice precisely what attracts people to the sks, accuracy and reliability (with the 20 rnd box mags). I myself see no problem changing the stock though except for mabye altering the balence. Don't get me wrong. I think it'd look pretty cool but I don't really see much point in doing so.

res45 12-02-2011 11:48 PM

If you cut down the barrel you will also need to recrown it or have someone do that for you. Also be aware that in some instances cutting the barrel shorter can lead to some cycling issues. The gas port may need to slightly enlarged if that problem arises.

The Chinese 10 rd. fixed mag SKS rifle has 14 imported parts if any of those are remove your rifle will them be out of compliance and 922r kicks in. Which basically means you will have to remove 4 of the original imported parts and replace them with 4 US MADE parts so that your rifle now only has 10 or less of the original imported parts and is 922 compliant. You can only count parts that are on the original rifle that you take off and replace towards the parts count. You can't add parts that are not on the rifle and count those like pistol grips or magazine floor plates because the 10 rd. fixed mag SKS doesn't have them on it originally.

Replacing the stock will count as 1 part,the detachable mag counts as 2 parts Follower and Mag body which leaves you with 1 more part to swap out. Most people change out the gas piston or hand guard to get the 4Th. part. The Tapco SKS compliance kit will have all the parts you need.

UrbanNinja 12-03-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keymastr5912
tapco t-6 stock, tapco 20rd detachable mags. if you cut a standard sks to 16+ inches you will cut off the front site. i found another guy on a different sight that makes and sells a replacement front sight base. you also get into the atf 922 compliance thing where you can have no more than 10 of the 14-15 imported parts on it after you modify it. you will need to replace 4-5 of their listed parts with american parts. you get 2 parts for the stock and handguard, 2 more for the mag and follower. you can also put in a tapco gas piston and get a murrays trigger and sear.most sks's only need 4 parts swapped out. the yugo needs 5. by changing these out you can easily swap out 7-8 parts with american parts to keep atf off yur butt. i have dun this twice. any questions pm me.

I had a thread a few weeks back, asking if anyone knew where to find a replacement front sight for a norinco. Would you happen to know any where? Or a universal sight would work too.. ive been searching quite a while with no luck.

dragunovsks 12-03-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja

I had a thread a few weeks back, asking if anyone knew where to find a replacement front sight for a norinco. Would you happen to know any where? Or a universal sight would work too.. ive been searching quite a while with no luck.

Get a shotgun news magazine, can usually get em at walmart. There are lots of parts for lots of different firearms in there and accesories too.

rembrant88 12-03-2011 07:58 AM

I forgot about causing a cycling issue with a shorter barrel. I think he just wants a smoothed out and more compact look.:confused: That's okay if he wants it that way I guess. But it would be a lot of work. Maybe holding off on that particular modification won't bother him. He's not worried to much about accuracy because he wants a red dot on it. Anybody have a red dot on their sks?

Thanks guys for the 922 compliance info. I'll have to reference that later and make sure I get things right.

keymastr5912; I'll let you know when I need some pointers. Thanks.

keymastr5912 12-03-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 642110)

ninja. check out sksboards.com. they got a guy there that is making and selling a real decent front sight base. don't think he advertises anywhere but there. get on their forums and scroll way down past all the usual bs sections. they have an area specifically assigned to merchants. lots of guys there have turned standard sks's into what they call paras. to each his own but i really like my 16.5" yugo. :)

res45 12-03-2011 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Anybody have a red dot on their sks?
I use one on occasion on my Chinese SKS for hunting purposes in thick woods were lighting isn't always the best for using iron sight. I use a file to fit dust cover mount which is not the best option for long term use but for my purposes it has held zero over the past several year. For a more permanent type mount I would go with the SKS Scout mount.
Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

It's a 3 MOA dot sight. The dot size is important to know as to how much target area it will cover at a certain distance,1 MOA basically equals 1.047" at 100 yds. so multiply your dot size 3 x 1.047" = 3.141" @100 yds. The further the distance the bigger the area covered by the dot the close the distance say 50 yds. the 3 MOA dot would cove just a little over 1.5"

When I use the Red Dot sight I zero it at 50 yds. since most of my shooting with it is done under 100 yds. usually less. Here is one of my sight in targets.

BillM 12-03-2011 02:49 PM

Shop around a bit and see if you can find a SKS D or M model. 16",
takes AK mags. Not sure if you will have major issues with a stock
for it--but the D model comes with a thumbhole stock--about as
ergonomic as a chunk of 2x6, but a little re-shaping can make it
into something usable. I've had a D model for years--never has
malfunctioned.