SKS or mini 30 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS or mini 30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342

Wow, you can do that???! Ive never heard of such a thing. Pretty cool, Is that all sks's or just the yugos?
Ill have to check PA laws and see if I can hunt with one on single fire mode.
I think all the yugo sks do that, its there so you can turn the gas off for the garnade launcher

Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I was actually going to put up my sks for sale. I never shoot it any more since I got my AR-15. I find it heavy and unwieldy but maybe thats just me. I was also looking at a few mini 30's on auction, but after numerous forum threads I'm rethinking that now. Not to take this completely off the rails, but is there yet another alternative (besides a saiga, thinkin about that too).
Get a saiga, youll love it
picture-010.jpg  

Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #33

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342

Get a saiga, youll love it
I second this motion

Attachment 36941

Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #34

Liked 2504 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Quote:
I was actually going to put up my sks for sale. I never shoot it any more since I got my AR-15. I find it heavy and unwieldy but maybe thats just me. I was also looking at a few mini 30's on auction, but after numerous forum threads I'm rethinking that now. Not to take this completely off the rails, but is there yet another alternative (besides a saiga, thinkin about that too).
I'm a larger guy, and I prefer the SKS weight and balance. Of course, being

6'2" and over 240 pounds, I consider the SKS to be a light carbine.

Unfortunately, not a lot of AR experience to date, just tried a couple

of friends doo-dadded up ARs, not really my cup of tea.

But if I were you, I'd try a mini-30 before you buy.

I was very disappointed with the crappy sights, and, by my

observation, very short length of pull, especially given the cost.

Last edited by therewolf; 01-04-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Im not really concerned with the short LOP on the mini-30 I was looking for something more compact anyway. Its the light primer strikes that put me off. I like my rifles to be able to eat anything.
Leaning now towards the saiga 7.62x39 with a wood sporter stock set. I have a converted saiga 12 ga already so they would make a nice pair. Can I use regular AK mags in the saiga?

Great looking rifle BTW pjj

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cattledog; 01-04-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: forgot compliment on kickazz saiga

Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #36

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Im not really concerned with the short LOP on the mini-30 I was looking for something more compact anyway. Its the light primer strikes that put me off. I like my rifles to be able to eat anything.
Leaning now towards the saiga 7.62x39 with a wood sporter stock set. I have a converted saiga 12 ga already so they would make a nice pair. Can I use regular AK mags in the saiga?

You would have to do a conversion on it and swap out four stock parts with four U.S. made parts to be in compliance with 922r. It is illegal to use a magazine with over ten round capacity without doing so. But if you decide to do the parts swap for compliance you would have to drill and tap the front trunnion for a bullet guide and install said bullet guide for it to feed regular AK mags reliably,also you have to file the magazine catch a little bit as the tabs on saiga mags are smaller than regular mags.

Don't let that intimidate you though,it really is quite easy to do.and there's plenty of instructional videos out there,also there are places to buy the complete conversion kits with everything you need. Ill dig up links if you need them

Old 01-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Getting a saiga with intent to convert, is kinda like taking a hands on college course(quite a bit more simple though). You definately have to do your homework on the rifle itself, and the parts your goin to use. But in the end you have a great rifle, and a great knowledge of the ak platform.

Every conversion on the saiga is rather easy, you just need to know what parts to use and how to install them. I replaced my FCG, threaded the barrel, installed the bullet guide, and cut the rear tang off for the ace stock adapter. None of it was above my high school education. A couple minor roadblocks, but all and all, simple.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I already did the 12 ga myself and its all compliant. it wasn't that hard really, just time consuming. A good vice, some basic tools and a headlamp came in handy. Still debating whether I want to spent the extra time and money doing it again though.

To get this thread back on the rails (sorry for the hijack). I'll ask this: Does anyone know the details about the mini-30's light primer strike problem and is there a fix for it?

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 957 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Ok. Finally shot the SKS....very impressed for the money! Irons brought 2" groups of 5 at 100 yds. Not marksman, but good for me.

Thanks all for the feedback...pleased with the decision to save a lot and add an SKS to the line up.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #40

Liked 2504 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

I doubt you'll ever regret it. Mine's a favorite.