sks magazine - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > sks magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default sks mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
Rifletech stuff looks like good stuff, but as Salty as it is...Thats a good chunk of the price to upgrade to a bigger better toy. IMO ...now if you have a massive SHTF stockpile of 7.62 x 39 and you and yours lifes could depend on it ...that might be a different story .

Also... I have never had a issue with the Tapco 20 rd mags.
I agree it is pricey, but 100% reliable, and thats all i got if the shtf, and i am stockpiled. I also got a 20 ga. moss 500. I would like to get another ak, but not able to do right now, at one time i had more guns then i knew what to do with, now with all this crap going on i'm down to 2. Go figure, I just have to make good with what i have, thats why i buy the best i can. I got so much invested in this gun i figured whats another $200, i only bought 4-20rd mags, that and stripper clips is going to have to keep me an my family safe

Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default sks mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
yeah i had heard that as well (history channel).. sounds like a really fun way to kill a nazi.. talk about surprised. never shot a garand but would love too.

back to the sks and to freddyb
i believe it was the weight of the 30rd fully loaded cuz the same mag with 10rds shot fine. i just choose to take my sks back to OG style because i think she is prettier natural.
the stockpile of 7.62 x 39 i do have with also two weapons that shoot it.
I never shot a garand either. I did have a chance to buy a garand for $400 about a yr ago, but as usual these deals only come along when you don't have the $. My 51 russian i was so tempted to keep it stock, but this being my only shtf weapon i went all out. Tapco t6 adjustable stock,tac. light w/strobe lasser, vertical grip,tech rear sight,tritium front sight,trigger job, vent foregaurd,expensive muzzle brake,plus a double of all moving parts, the mags,and much ammo. I know it sounds crazy but i was able to do it alittle at a time. I am getting 10 shot groups of 2- 2.5" @ 100. It's all i got and i'm happy with it.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yours sound nice too though.. ive seen them and like them too.. even thought about getting another sks to do something of that nature.. or even maybe bul-pup.. idk though probably not the later..
the sks was my1st weapon purchase and i kinda got stole alittle and bought at the end of a bad time. since i have seen as nice or better for 150 less. mine is for sure old and chinese ,no english just the serial numbers and 3 chinese characters stamped on the side. she is still fun as hell to shot though.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default sks mags

Quote:
yours sound nice too though.. ive seen them and like them too.. even thought about getting another sks to do something of that nature.. or even maybe bul-pup.. idk though probably not the later..
the sks was my1st weapon purchase and i kinda got stole alittle and bought at the end of a bad time. since i have seen as nice or better for 150 less. mine is for sure old and chinese ,no english just the serial numbers and 3 chinese characters stamped on the side. she is still fun as hell to shot though.
I know about paying too much. I gave $400 for my 51 ruskie, only to find out i had to put another $150 into trigger job. It seems everytime i sell i never get my $ back, but when i go to buy i end up paying top $. I know i got to much $ into mine but was able to do it at my own pace, and as u said it really is a fun gun to shoot. I'm really not familiar with the bul-pup. Rifle-tech swears theirs is very reliable. Hey if u have an older chinese, i'm told they were put together on russian equipt. and used many russian parts. I had one and it was as good as my russian. I beleive they started with the #2 standing for 1957 production, therefore # 8 would make it a 1964 # 12 would make it 1968. Thats the first 2 #'s of serial, any of these early mods are made with mostly russian supervision and parts. There all good though i really haven't come across a bad one.I could be + or - by 1#. I know production started 1956, but think they started with #2 in 1957. Either way you have a good gun.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the 4 digit # or the 7 digit #?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default sks mag

Quote:
It's been so long since i had my chinese i really can't say for sure. If i remember right there should be a triangle with #'s in it. The first two digits after marking is date, if it's 2-9 then add that to 57 and 10 and up do the same. Trying to remember mine just had a long list of #'s. If you don't have a triangle then it was produced for commercial sales and not produced for military. i beleive the #'s 16,26,36 were the most popular.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default sks mag

Quote:
I also remember the chinese purchased russian receivers. If you have 4 digits followed by a cyrillic letter,then it's a russian receiver.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

did some research on mine and still havent gotten the answer. the receiver is pinned and that puts it being made in the 70's but trigger group puts in early 60's and the numbers all match. i dont think that it was from the big manufacturing plant. (#26). the rifle doesnt have the triangle mark instead it has 0138 in a square just before a seven digit serial number that starts with a 7.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default sks mag

Quote:
did some research on mine and still havent gotten the answer. the receiver is pinned and that puts it being made in the 70's but trigger group puts in early 60's and the numbers all match. i dont think that it was from the big manufacturing plant. (#26). the rifle doesnt have the triangle mark instead it has 0138 in a square just before a seven digit serial number that starts with a 7.
Everything your saying points to a commercial manufacture, but they did mix parts so you could have some early parts also. A pinned barrel is IMO as good as a screw in. I've had both and they fired the same, there fun and rugged guns. Nobody even knows how the Chinese heat treat their barrels, but whatever they r doing it works. the Chinese are as good as any of them. I can't wait for the weather to break, i'm heading north to my buddy's farm and i'm going to do me some shooten

Old 03-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #30

Its been mentioned before but every sks is different it seems. I have had very good luck with the tapco 20rd clips, but my brothers sks dont like any of them. we both have yugo models

- Springfield 1911 .45ACP
- SKS Yugo
- GSG 5 .22lr
- Mossberg .410 pump
- M48 yugo mauser
- 91/30 Mosin Nagant