Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Sks mag help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/sks-mag-help-88704/)

EagleDreamer 04-12-2013 10:47 PM

Sks mag help

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a ProMag 30 round mag for my SKS today. I brought it home and tried to put it in and it didn't fit. The SKS is a Norinco and it is stock. I looked up a couple vids on YouTube and everyone had aftermarket stocks that were using the ProMag magazines. I have thought about getting a stock for it but don't know which I want.

The main difference I see in the mag that I already have and the new one is the "ducktail". On the ProMag it seems to have more of a point at the end. I will provide a picture of both for comparison.

Attachment 95805

Any help would be appreciated.

7.62 Man 04-13-2013 04:27 AM

I don't buy anything with the name pro mag on it.;)

dyslexic_llama 04-13-2013 05:11 AM

Sometimes when you go to polymer magazines they're too thick or too long to fit into the magwell, my Cobray magazine was the same way and needed to be filed down on the front duckbill tab.

Usually some material removal is required, either on the magazine or the magwell, I would recommend the magazine.

EagleDreamer 04-13-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyslexic_llama

Usually some material removal is required, either on the magazine or the magwell, I would recommend the magazine.

I was thinking this and I was hoping for some responses. The width of the mag seems good. I believe it's just the "point" of the ducktail not allowing in to be pushed forward enough for the mag to slide in all the way.

dyslexic_llama 04-13-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleDreamer (Post 1212759)
I was thinking this and I was hoping for some responses. The width of the mag seems good. I believe it's just the "point" of the ducktail not allowing in to be pushed forward enough for the mag to slide in all the way.

You're probably right, the metal one does not have that point and looks slightly shorter as well.

robocop10mm 04-14-2013 03:15 AM

Promag has made some very good mags and some junk. The SKS has been made by so many different countries there is some fitting required. judicious filing will corect the problem.

Or just return it and try a different brand. Each SKS seems to have its own unique taste in mags.

HockaLouis 04-14-2013 03:31 AM

Would it be crazy to suggest trying it with the stock OFF first? And it looks to need a hacksaw, not a file. Actually, I agree with 7.62 -- a return envelope might be best.

blitzen25cat 04-19-2013 04:01 PM

I've had the same problems with the hi-cap mags in the SKS rifle. My solution...skip the hi-cap mags and just use stripper clips for fast loading. The original 10 rd. mags are very reliable and stripper clips in my opinion are more dependable than high capacity mags...for me it is a trust issue as I've had feeding issues with the mags and never with stripper clips. Regards Dick

TelstaR 04-22-2013 01:23 AM

Problem 1: Promag
Problem 2: Removal of the original 10 round fixed magazine

EagleDreamer 04-22-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TelstaR
Problem 1: Promag
Problem 2: Removal of the original 10 round fixed magazine

Unfortunately the conversion was already made when I bought the rifle. I got a pretty good deal on it and couldn't pass it up.