Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > sks identification and value help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Besides its kinda rude to sell a gift...

Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #22

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

You cant defend yourself with a bow as well as an sks anyway thats a beautiful gift sks d models can use ak mags and its hard to find and they arent very valuable you should keep the hell out of it! Or sell it to me

Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SKS Identification and Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjt View Post
My father in law gave me this sks and I know nothing about them.
It has a folding stock and a bayonet on it and looks to be 30 round magazines for it. any help is greatly appreciated, haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not.
You have a standard Chinese Type 56 SKS, imported by Century Arms International, in a folding stock, (could be any manufacturer such as ATI, Combat Exchange, etc.), with a magazine conversion kit installed in the stock. I think it was Cobray Industries that introduced that particular type of mag. conversion set. Those, and only those Zytel (plastic) 30rd magazines will work in that stock, with that magazine conversion setup. If I remember correctly, standard AK-47 steel magazines won't fit or function with their adapter. You could remove the adapter, and install an original steel 10rd fixed magazine, if you wished.

Your SKS has the rectangle with 0138 inside, which is the Chinese arsenal code. The Chinese characters preceding the rectangle translate into "Type 56". Unfortunately, the Chinese military isn't very forthcoming about their arsenal codes and dating records. The only arsenal we can somewhat accurately date is the triangle "26" Jianshe Arsenal. With your SKS having a short collar threaded barrel, stamped trigger assembly, late style bolt carrier, and spike bayonet, I would estimate your SKS to have been made in the early to mid 1970's. And that's just a WAG.

While your SKS is not a "D" model or one of the various Chinese Factory AK-Magazine Conversions, (like the "M", "63", "SPORTER", "Type 84", "KS-30", MC-5D", and the "NR".), it is a good rifle. **Ask your Father-In-Law if he still has the original wood stock and the original steel 10rd. Fixed Magazine for it. If so, you'd have an easier time selling it, for more money.** There should also be a cleaning rod for it, as well.

Pricing your SKS is too regional and buyer specific to help you much. "Normal" is all relative to where you live, and how much the buyer wants it. Average for a standard SKS is $250.00-$350.00, but that can swing wildly, both ways. I hear of guys finding Holy Grail SKS' at garage sales for $100.00 and also hear of $500.00 sales of standard SKS, as well. Clean it up,(really, field strip it and clean it very good. A buyer will usually want to check the bore and see the gas piston, bolt, etc.), take some good outdoor pics, (including good close-ups, presentation goes a long way), and advertise it to whatever degree you desire.

firstchoiceak47
Old 08-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #24

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Don't sell it, you very well may regret it if you do.