Sks gas tube
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Sks gas tube

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
austin92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 825
Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default Sks gas tube

Hey guys, I'm picking up a type 56 sks for cheap and the guy says it fires single shot so my first guess was to replace the gas tube and piston. Also looking for a set of go-no go gauges. If anyone has any of these things it would really help me out. Or maybe point me in the direction of where to buy a new gas tube and piston? I've looked online and all I can find is black tapco's for yugo's. Thanks for any input

__________________
austin92 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruggieTex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rural Virginia
Posts: 1,336
Liked 957 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
Hey guys, I'm picking up a type 56 sks for cheap and the guy says it fires single shot so my first guess was to replace the gas tube and piston. Also looking for a set of go-no go gauges. If anyone has any of these things it would really help me out. Or maybe point me in the direction of where to buy a new gas tube and piston? I've looked online and all I can find is black tapco's for yugo's. Thanks for any input
Perhaps the grenade launcher divert valve...?
__________________

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

TruggieTex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,374
Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
Perhaps the grenade launcher divert valve...?
Im pretty sure that the type 56 doesn't have a grenade launcher if I'm correct in thinking it is the Chinese version.

Take a good look at it and see if the gas port is actually not corroded shut. Make sure the actual gas piston is present. Make sure the intermediate piston in the sight base is present and can move freely to strike the bolt carrier. Then check for other obstructions that prevent the bolt and carrier from moving properly. Aftermarket crap that doesn't fit properly like bad mags or action covers that drag.

eBay may have some stock parts or gun broker if you can't find the parts at online businesses.
__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,771
Liked 8946 Times on 3872 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Default

Yep. If you have the carbine with the grenade launcher, their weak spot is the gas shut off valve.

First, check that it is in the correct position. If it is, then fix is to replace the valve, not the gas tube and piston.

See here: http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
austin92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 825
Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default

It's a Chinese with no grenade launcher. Thanks for the input so far. You know of any place that sells an original or reproduction of the original handguard, piston, and gas tube? I'm gonna go up there today and check to see if the gas block is corroded shut. Might bring it home and get some pics for you guys. Thanks again

__________________
austin92 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
austin92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 825
Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default

Got it home, Checked it over, cleaned, shot and cleaned again. Single shot.... Mic'd the tube and piston even though you can tell by eye and feel the tolerances are too loose. So, any tubes and pistons for sale?

__________________
austin92 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,771
Liked 8946 Times on 3872 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Default

Austin- sorry, do not have a ready source for tubes/ pistons. If you would not mind a couple of suggestions?

First, have you checked the gas port into the barrel? If that gets blocked, limits gas that can make it to the piston. They DO make a port cleaning tool. Me- I use pipecleaners with a bend in them.

Second, there is a short rod that the piston strikes, that actually strikes the bolt carrier and moves it. If that is not free to move, will be single shot. A lot of folks never pull that, clean it and lube it (lightly). IIRC, the proper name for that is the piston extension. Found one rifle that was MISSING that bit. Single shot for sure. Turned out it had belonged to a guy from PA, where semi auto deer rifles are not legal.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

You need to use caution when replacing parts on an sks. They are not your typical firearm. The laws around the sks are, let's say, funky. You must have a certain number of American made parts or your gun is illegal. I'm sure with a quick search you can find the laws.

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
austin92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 825
Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Austin- sorry, do not have a ready source for tubes/ pistons. If you would not mind a couple of suggestions?

First, have you checked the gas port into the barrel? If that gets blocked, limits gas that can make it to the piston. They DO make a port cleaning tool. Me- I use pipecleaners with a bend in them.

Second, there is a short rod that the piston strikes, that actually strikes the bolt carrier and moves it. If that is not free to move, will be single shot. A lot of folks never pull that, clean it and lube it (lightly). IIRC, the proper name for that is the piston extension. Found one rifle that was MISSING that bit. Single shot for sure. Turned out it had belonged to a guy from PA, where semi auto deer rifles are not legal.
I have checked the gas port, stuck a little wire through it to ensure there was nothing there I had missed. The piston extension is in place, moves "freely" aside from the return spring, normal I'm guessing. I put a digital micrometer on the piston and inside the tube. Considerable difference, don't remember the exact number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
You need to use caution when replacing parts on an sks. They are not your typical firearm. The laws around the sks are, let's say, funky. You must have a certain number of American made parts or your gun is illegal. I'm sure with a quick search you can find the laws.
It is all original, I'm simply replacing a gas tube and piston, preferably with an original. If my sks isn't legal, well I live n the middle of no where and our activities aren't always exactly by the book lol
__________________
austin92 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
austin92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 825
Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default

2 of the piston extension, gas port, down the gas tube

image-3858961873.jpg   image-3390846083.jpg   image-2209423190.jpg   image-3387505855.jpg  
__________________
austin92 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Melonited gad tube vs Nitromet Gas Tube PittTactical556 AR-15 Discussion 6 12-12-2012 12:37 PM
Need some help gas tube for nhm-91 aktommysks AK & SKS Discussion 6 09-09-2011 09:39 PM
New gas tube wasr10 AK & SKS Discussion 14 07-01-2011 12:24 PM
need gas tube deadworm AK & SKS Discussion 4 02-14-2011 01:47 AM
To clean the gas tube, or not to clean the gas tube. That is the question. Jesse17 AR-15 Discussion 2 10-06-2009 04:41 AM