Sks gas tube
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Sks gas tube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Default Sks gas tube

Hey guys, I'm picking up a type 56 sks for cheap and the guy says it fires single shot so my first guess was to replace the gas tube and piston. Also looking for a set of go-no go gauges. If anyone has any of these things it would really help me out. Or maybe point me in the direction of where to buy a new gas tube and piston? I've looked online and all I can find is black tapco's for yugo's. Thanks for any input

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 957 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
Hey guys, I'm picking up a type 56 sks for cheap and the guy says it fires single shot so my first guess was to replace the gas tube and piston. Also looking for a set of go-no go gauges. If anyone has any of these things it would really help me out. Or maybe point me in the direction of where to buy a new gas tube and piston? I've looked online and all I can find is black tapco's for yugo's. Thanks for any input
Perhaps the grenade launcher divert valve...?

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
Perhaps the grenade launcher divert valve...?
Im pretty sure that the type 56 doesn't have a grenade launcher if I'm correct in thinking it is the Chinese version.

Take a good look at it and see if the gas port is actually not corroded shut. Make sure the actual gas piston is present. Make sure the intermediate piston in the sight base is present and can move freely to strike the bolt carrier. Then check for other obstructions that prevent the bolt and carrier from moving properly. Aftermarket crap that doesn't fit properly like bad mags or action covers that drag.

eBay may have some stock parts or gun broker if you can't find the parts at online businesses.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8946 Times on 3872 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Yep. If you have the carbine with the grenade launcher, their weak spot is the gas shut off valve.

First, check that it is in the correct position. If it is, then fix is to replace the valve, not the gas tube and piston.

See here: http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

It's a Chinese with no grenade launcher. Thanks for the input so far. You know of any place that sells an original or reproduction of the original handguard, piston, and gas tube? I'm gonna go up there today and check to see if the gas block is corroded shut. Might bring it home and get some pics for you guys. Thanks again

Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #6

Got it home, Checked it over, cleaned, shot and cleaned again. Single shot.... Mic'd the tube and piston even though you can tell by eye and feel the tolerances are too loose. So, any tubes and pistons for sale?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8946 Times on 3872 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Austin- sorry, do not have a ready source for tubes/ pistons. If you would not mind a couple of suggestions?

First, have you checked the gas port into the barrel? If that gets blocked, limits gas that can make it to the piston. They DO make a port cleaning tool. Me- I use pipecleaners with a bend in them.

Second, there is a short rod that the piston strikes, that actually strikes the bolt carrier and moves it. If that is not free to move, will be single shot. A lot of folks never pull that, clean it and lube it (lightly). IIRC, the proper name for that is the piston extension. Found one rifle that was MISSING that bit. Single shot for sure. Turned out it had belonged to a guy from PA, where semi auto deer rifles are not legal.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You need to use caution when replacing parts on an sks. They are not your typical firearm. The laws around the sks are, let's say, funky. You must have a certain number of American made parts or your gun is illegal. I'm sure with a quick search you can find the laws.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Austin- sorry, do not have a ready source for tubes/ pistons. If you would not mind a couple of suggestions?

First, have you checked the gas port into the barrel? If that gets blocked, limits gas that can make it to the piston. They DO make a port cleaning tool. Me- I use pipecleaners with a bend in them.

Second, there is a short rod that the piston strikes, that actually strikes the bolt carrier and moves it. If that is not free to move, will be single shot. A lot of folks never pull that, clean it and lube it (lightly). IIRC, the proper name for that is the piston extension. Found one rifle that was MISSING that bit. Single shot for sure. Turned out it had belonged to a guy from PA, where semi auto deer rifles are not legal.
I have checked the gas port, stuck a little wire through it to ensure there was nothing there I had missed. The piston extension is in place, moves "freely" aside from the return spring, normal I'm guessing. I put a digital micrometer on the piston and inside the tube. Considerable difference, don't remember the exact number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
You need to use caution when replacing parts on an sks. They are not your typical firearm. The laws around the sks are, let's say, funky. You must have a certain number of American made parts or your gun is illegal. I'm sure with a quick search you can find the laws.
It is all original, I'm simply replacing a gas tube and piston, preferably with an original. If my sks isn't legal, well I live n the middle of no where and our activities aren't always exactly by the book lol

Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #10

2 of the piston extension, gas port, down the gas tube

image-3858961873.jpg   image-3390846083.jpg   image-2209423190.jpg   image-3387505855.jpg