SKS *First Gun*
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS *First Gun*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SKS *First Gun*

I always loved the look of an SKS More then an AK, and think it would be good for a first rifle, however, like any gun i want....i need to pimp it out

So, i know their exist a front Tritium sight, but what about a rear

how about scope mounts? i saw a great deal on a triji for under 600 on Optics Planet. plus, i seen some advance aperature sights similar to and m16 for sale but iffy on it.

Hows the recoil?

Recommended loads? Gear? Techniques?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I sold my SKS a few years ago... well... traded it for a Winchester Model 70 in .243. I love my newer deer rifle but I wish I would have kept my SKS too. Never found a scope mount that would stay true but with open sights I could keep a few inch group out to 75 or 80 yards. The weight of the gun does well to help reduce the recoil of what I feel is a reasonably stout round. Only thing I didn't like was that I kept catching my fingers in the action while loading it. Great gun. Not much is needed to "pimp it out" as they are such great guns to start with...

Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2730 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Recoil is almost n on-existant. They tend to be reliable to a fault with the factory 10 round mag. High cap mags range from not worth a dime to excellent. Scope mounting traditionally utilizes a replacement bolt cover and rarely works well. Scout mount is probably the best idea. I just found one at scoutscopes.com. They are just a few miles from me and I will look at testing one soon. I will give a write up when I get a sample.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #4

Can it use an AK rear sight? or should i just get a regular AK?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Sunchips View Post
Can it use an AK rear sight? or should i just get a regular AK?
The rear sight is about the same on both rifles?

I put the tech sights aperature sights on mine and like them, but i haven't had much opportunity for testing at any distance. http://www.tech-sights.com/sks.htm

It is frequently said that consistent performance from the SKS is very ammo-dependant; wolf & some other bulk/cheap ammo is not heralded for its consistency in performance.

I too tried the receiver cover scope mounts, a couple different types, and have not been able to hold a good zero, even with the "set screws". If i do scope it later, it will be with the molot rail setup from kalinka, but it's not really a loooooooong range firearm or a "sniper rifle"-type weapon, IMO. http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/molot-sks-original-rail-with-rivets.html http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/molot-sks-mosin-nagant-mauser-ultima-low-profile-side-mount-picatinny-rail-w-30-mm-rings.html
That would make this one expensive SKS. With that much in the rifle, i would need a better scope than i have, and with almost a grand in the rifle, scope, mount, and accessories, i would surely have to hand load for it, so i would need some reloading equipment...

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-03-2011 at 06:42 PM.