Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   SKS feeding issue (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/sks-feeding-issue-60296/)

Nihilist88 03-15-2012 11:29 AM

SKS feeding issue

Hey all, it has been very long since I been here. I had gotten some messages about when I was going to return. Well now I am back, the last year has been crazy. ENough, now to things that matter =P. I think my follower spring on my Yugo SKS is out, I can fire 2-3 rounds flawlessly but... the sometimes the next round will not get kicked up by the mag follower. I have papers from where this gun was used in the Yugoslavian military during the wars(respect to the fallen). So, I am thinking since it hasn't been used since the discharge in 2004 it may of settled? Let me know what you all think. I will also be browsing and helping others.

1stMarine 03-15-2012 02:55 PM

Sounds like an overworn mag spring. Just change it out and you should be fine

Never Forget.

Nihilist88 03-17-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stMarine (Post 741282)
Sounds like an overworn mag spring. Just change it out and you should be fine

Never Forget.

Yeah, that was my conclusion. Thanks for the reply to give me second opinion!! I can't wait to take her back out. But, only catch is $1.50 part has a $9.00 shipping charge. Oh, internet, but beggers can't be choosers.

M1911VS44 03-17-2012 10:03 PM

I had issue with my SKS bullet feed.It turned out that the mag was not hinged right and the mag didn't go all the way in.To fix it I screwed up the stock (wood)And had to pull hinge out to fix.It turns out the get a new hinge you must go to Russia or China.At least it dosnt need the hinge to shoot and the mag dosnt have to be hinged to the gun.

Nihilist88 03-21-2012 05:03 PM

I just got shipped to me a brand new follower spring. I am going to install this and see what happens. It sucks it is an Albanian on a Yugo, but anything to get it running.

Nihilist88 03-21-2012 06:53 PM

I have pulled apart the gun and everything. I didn't know it was a hinged mag. How is the best way of getting it apart without damaging it? I can't find any stock fixed mags because, omgg everything needs to be tactical ::vomits inside mouth::. Now, that I am calm lol, can someone explain to me a good way to changing out the follower spring. If not I think I can take a pair of needle-nose pliers and work the hinge out and get it back in. I will post more updates if anyone is interested at all.

AndyRexia 03-22-2012 10:27 AM

I dont have an answer to your question but have you checked youtube for videos on how to do it?

Nihilist88 03-23-2012 02:01 AM

Yes I have. All that is on there is how to add a detach to it. I don't want that. But the thing is now. I have found out that the box mag is all ONE piece. I can't undo the hinges. So, nothing I try works. I will be taking it to a gunsmith here soon enough and see if he can't do something with it. If anyone knows anyone selling a STOCK SKS mag please send me a p.m. or put it on here. It would be greatly appreciated.

Nihilist88 04-30-2012 12:19 PM

*Update*

I had bought a Pro-Mag 30 round magazine. I hated to put an aftermaket one on my Sks, but it worked flawlessly. Actually had more fun shooting my Sks than my AK-74! Which is crazy because my groups are so tight with the 74. The Yugo sure did put up a fight. Next time I go to the range I will take pics of the groupings. Also, used some sexy Yugo surplus ammo. All I know is it sounded and felt so good. I also used some Russian surplus in my AK, and stressed I wasn't going to clean it good. But, woke up checked all barrels and they were clean!!!!

therewolf 04-30-2012 09:26 PM

Try a firm slap to the bottom of mag after you load it.

It helps settle the ammo in the mag, so it feeds

better.

My SKS is my only semi rifle which has never jammed.

It's the original 10 round mag.