Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > sks cleanup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Turpentine for a decent cleaning (wood stock). For a great stock cleaning check out the formula at www.thegunstockdoctor.com. Depending on how much cleaning you need to do, either the turp or that formula should work.

Brake cleaner works well on the metal parts.

Once you have the stock cleaned, apply any stain you might want to use (not required - just depends on how light/dark you want it vs what you have). Then apply the 1/3 wax mix from the site above. It comes out GREAT!

Check out www.sksboards.net and www.surplusrifle.com for a walkthrough on disassembling everything.

No input on the folding stock, but I will say this. Since it is a C&R firearm, be sure any mods you do are 922r compliant or you could wind up having issues down the road.

Here's my SKS after applying the Tom's mix.

Some cartouches...

Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Beautiful job! A lot of sanding...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-04-2008, 05:28 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

What is this 922r of which you speak? Didn't all that crap evaporate with the sunset of the Clinton weapons ban? I thought that was as though it never was. Please illuminate!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #14

BATF Regulations, Section 922r covers the rules that apply to, 'Curio & Relic' firearms. Ain't got nothing to do with the expired Assault Weapons Ban. The following will help clear it up for ya. If you want more information, some of the SKS and AK websites contain links to all the sordid details -

http://www.922r.com/

http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-61834.html

Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #15

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

That is probably the best looking SKS I have ever seen. Was it in that condition when you got it? Mine looked like someone had dropped it off the back of a moving truck a few times. The barrel and action was all good with only a few scratches (needed to be reblued in some places) but the stock was beat up.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
That is probably the best looking SKS I have ever seen. Was it in that condition when you got it? Mine looked like someone had dropped it off the back of a moving truck a few times. The barrel and action was all good with only a few scratches (needed to be reblued in some places) but the stock was beat up.
Pretty much. It was listed as unissued and unfired, but I'm assuming that is AFTER it had been refurbed. Refurb marks on the stock lead me to believe this. The bore is EXCELLENT and VERY clean/smooth and rifling is excellent. The stock has always been in great shape and I have not taken ANY sandpaper to it at all. Just 4-0 steel wool to work in cleaners, and ultimately the Tom's mix.