Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > sks cleanup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default sks cleanup

OK, took possession of my new yugo today. (Thanks for the lack of input on folding stocks guys.) What a reeking gooey cosmolinic mess. What substance to best remove said cosmoline? Where can I find good dis-re assembly instructions? I can get most things apart (sometimes it takes a hacksaw and a 3 pound hammer) but getting them back together in working order can be a bit problematic. Hoping for a bit more help than with the stock issue...Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 AM   #2

I've never dealt with cosmoline, but I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago regarding the disassembly of my Chinese SKS. I just google searched SKS disassembly and found a really good video on YouTube showing the complete assembly and disassembly of the SKS. It's very simple. I used a metal punch to push in a button under the trigger assembly, but I've heard you can take these things all the way down with just a bullet in place of the punch, which seems possible.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:01 AM   #3

First, you're going to need a lot of paper towels. Two substances do a good job of removing Cosmolene: Automotive engine degreaser, (You'll need two large spray cans.) and ordinary white kerosene.

Be sure to let the bolt soak overnight. If you know how, it's always best to completely disassemble the bolt; but, this takes some muscle and the right tools. You're, also, going to have to remember exactly how the firing pin fits in place so pay careful attention as you pull it out!

There's Cosmo in the wood too. Wrap the disassembled stock in dry paper towels, place it inside a black plastic garbage bag, and leave it out in the sun for hours at a time until the paper starts to come up clean. (May take several warm afternoons!)

The first time you shoot that SKS, load no more than 3 rounds at a time, hold it in a very firm grip, and make sure it doesn't go full auto on you before you begin to completely load up the magazine.

SKS Disassemby Instructions

Last edited by G21.45; 06-30-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

spray everything off with brake cleaner after you got it apart, the stock I would clean with OMS and then reapply some BLO back on it so the wood dont dry out.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #5

OK, just as long as you know that brake cleaner is a known carcinogen that you should limit your exposure to; and that, 'BLO' you intend to use should actually be COLD PRESSED linseed oil. The boiled crap will penetrate too deeply, soften up the wood too much, and might cause bedding problems.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #6

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

I used gasoline to clean the cosmo off my M-44 last year but the cleaner and substances the other guys mentioned should work fine. I used gas because it was the closest, probably don't want to use it now though, not a $4.08 a gallon (here in Indiana). Would cost a small fortune just to clean your gun.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
OK, just as long as you know that brake cleaner is a known carcinogen that you should limit your exposure to; and that, 'BLO' you intend to use should actually be COLD PRESSED linseed oil. The boiled crap will penetrate too deeply, soften up the wood too much, and might cause bedding problems.

BLO has been put on more firearms including Garands that are to many to count, ya worry to much bout things, this chit aint that compliated

Old 07-01-2008, 01:52 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As stated before, make sure the firing pin is not in backwards - this can cause the gun to shoot in full-auto. I bought a YUGO SKS several years ago that came packed in cosmoline. The stock wasn't too bad so I just rubbed it down with mineral spirits and rubbed off what I could. Any further cleaning will raise the wood grain and you will have to give it a fine sanding after it dries, which might not be a bad idea since those stocks have the texture of rough sawn pine. Then just rub it down with a mixture of 3 parts linseed to one part thinner - the thinner will carry the linseed into the wood pores and then evaporate. Go over it with 0000 steel wool. Or if you want a real nice finish rub Tung Oil into the stock after sanding and buff it out.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
BLO has been put on more firearms including Garands that are to many to count, ya worry to much bout things, this chit aint that compliated
That's what I've been trying to explain to you: The internet is full of this sort of half-right information. The arsenal applied LO is not the same kind as the boiled stuff you get from a hardware store. If it's your gun, then, do whatever you want. Don't matter to me.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So. got after it today with gasoline and starting fluid (which I have always found to be THE mondo degreaser). Moderately successful, I stink, my wife hates me, and I think I killed half my brain cells. Ah well, thinking's over-rated anyway. Anybody got any thoughts on folding stocks? Please advise!!