Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Sks bullcrap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Sks bullcrap

Well I just bought an tapco stock and gas system from tapco but then I go the thing and found out the piston doesn't fit and then I thought,"Damn might as well see if the gas tube fits." Well just my luck it doesn't so I took the old one and took the piston out and see if it has anything to do with it and it doesn't so I'm royal screwed if I can't get this piston and gas tube to fit.
ANY and I mean ANY help is appreciated
Thanks, Thomas
P.s if you need pictures ask

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Pics
Original:

The second is the new gas tube the third is the backside of the gas tube

Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308 View Post
Well I just bought an tapco stock and gas system from tapco but then I go the thing and found out the piston doesn't fit and then I thought,"Damn might as well see if the gas tube fits." Well just my luck it doesn't so I took the old one and took the piston out and see if it has anything to do with it and it doesn't so I'm royal screwed if I can't get this piston and gas tube to fit.
ANY and I mean ANY help is appreciated
Thanks, Thomas
P.s if you need pictures ask
Slow down you may be ok. I just went through the same thing. First off you are going to need to file the gas tube a little bit to get it in. Notice on your original gas tube there is a slight angle on the gas tube where it meets the reciever and locks down into place. There are videos out there on this. I did it the other day. Secondly there may seem like there is an obstruction and your piston does not fit all the way down into your gas tube, just use a little force and it will pop right through and then fit as it should. It is just a little tight at first. The first thing I would do though is make sure you do not have the wrong gas tube. There is one for the Yugo that is different from the others. If you do not have a Yugo the Yugo gas tube will not fit and vise versa.
Pissed me off at first too, but it shoots well and does what it is supposed to do. I do wish I hadnt have gone through all that and left the original stock on, to me it just isnt worth the hassle. I dont know why they couldnt just make it right to begin with so you don't have to file it.

One more thing, I havent been too impressed with the Tapco magazine either. I suggest finding a chinese or some other steel one if you want to go high capacity. Mine Jams from time to time and sometimes wont fully eject the shells.

Here is a video of what I am talking about. I dont know why the hell he filed the plastic part, but watch passed that.

Last edited by ccase39; 10-11-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The problem with the gas tube is that the curved side of the tube on the back is on the bottom not the top and the flat side is on the top it's reversed

Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
The problem with the gas tube is that the curved side of the tube on the back is on the bottom not the top and the flat side is on the top it's reversed
Did you look at the video? does it look like filing can solve the problen? What type of SKS is it? a Yugo?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5682 Times on 3336 Posts
Likes Given: 4821

Quote:
No chance you could twist the plastic piece around the tube, eh? Maybe with some rubber pliers or one of those rubber things for taking off jar lids? I haven't looked at mine in a while; it was tight but clicked into place fine.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not a chance the pins restrict me from moving it except for a wiggle.
My sks is a norinco

Old 10-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Not a chance the pins restrict me from moving it except for a wiggle.
My sks is a norinco
Are you sure you dont have the Yugo gas tube? If so you will need to swap it out because they only fit Yugos. As far as I know all the other ones are interchangeable You should be able to get it in by filing, if not get ur money back and get a new one.
Like I said earlier it pissed me off that I had to file it in the first place. Dont know why they dont just make it right.

If you have this one where the gas tube kind of flares out to the end it will not fit your Norinco

http://www.amazon.com/Tube-Handguard-Firearm-Accessories-Parts/dp/B007X0RP7Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1381627064&sr=8-6&keywords=sks+yugo+gas+tube

This is what you need for the Norinco

http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-SKS6632-Tube-Handguard-Brown/dp/B003625P68/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1381627196&sr=8-6&keywords=sks+gas+tube

FWIW mine looks exactly like the one in your picture and I got it in after filing.

Last edited by ccase39; 10-13-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks I guess I'm going to have to file it off now

Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5682 Times on 3336 Posts
Likes Given: 4821

If the plastic piece is upside down, isn't the metal end tha connects to the sight base also upside down? Will it seat right like that?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p