Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > sks bolt modification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default sks bolt modification

So I'v been thinking a lot about a norico sks I picked up awhile ago. I have a yugo as well. And one of the frustrating things for me was always the need to have the bolt open when replacing a detachable mag.
I'v been wondering if anyone has ever thought about modifying the bolt slightly so that it wouldn't be an issue?
I don't have my norinco with me so I have to go off of memory of the bolt design but if you were to remove the action and bottom metal from the stock partial inserted a detachable mag and scribed a line along the bottom of the bolt and removed only enough metal To allow the removal and insertion of a detachable mag. Would it still function correctly? I'm not saying remove the entire rails on the bottom but basicly make a cut out to allow the mag lips to pass through a closed bolt.
I'm thinking that the cut outs would be short enough that it wouldn't affect the bolts movement in the reciver.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or thought about doing this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

I don't have an sks currently to look at. I'd be concerned about the amount of metal that may need to be removed weakening areas along the rails, and the possible need to remove metal from the central part of the bolt that could then make stripping rounds from the mags a problem. Does the bolt stay open on the last shot with the detachable mags that you have? If so, I would think it's not a big problem. With an AK the bolt doesn't stay open, so you have to charge after a mag change, unless you were swapping before empty.

I'm not much of a fan of detachable mags on the SKS, so that is why I'm a bit limited on good info for you. I pretty much replaced my SKS with the AK.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 01-08-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Again, just going off of memory of the way the mags work with the bolt. I don't think you would need to remove any metal from the central body of the bolt. Since the rails actually move into the mag and under the lips. I don't think you would need to even remove any from the front of the bolt where it strips the round out. Just enough of the rail to be able to insert a mag with the bolt closed.
Also I'm Probibly going to use a tapco 20 Rd detachable mag. It's been a while since I shot my yugo with one but I think it did have a bolt hold open... not 100% on it though.

Was definitely expecting a few more responses to this though. At least some one saying not to try an mod an sks into an "assult" rifle lol

Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthooah04 View Post
Again, just going off of memory of the way the mags work with the bolt. I don't think you would need to remove any metal from the central body of the bolt. Since the rails actually move into the mag and under the lips. I don't think you would need to even remove any from the front of the bolt where it strips the round out. Just enough of the rail to be able to insert a mag with the bolt closed.
Also I'm Probibly going to use a tapco 20 Rd detachable mag. It's been a while since I shot my yugo with one but I think it did have a bolt hold open... not 100% on it though.

Was definitely expecting a few more responses to this though. At least some one saying not to try an mod an sks into an "assult" rifle lol
I'm ususally one of the ones who says "If you want an AK buy an AK, don't try to turn an SKS into an AK." The SKS works great the way it was designed, for what it was designed to be.

But it's your rifle.

You might also check other breands of mags, and see if there are some that would change without the bolt open.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's not so much that I'm trying to turn an sks into an ak. More like I'm thinking of ways to improve the original design a bit. A few posts on the "your sks of choice" thread got me thinking about it.
I was mostly wondering if anyone here had heard of anyone else doing it or had thought about how to do it.
Lol I don't even have a rifle here to tinker with let alone my tools.
I'll be getting back to the homestead sometime this year and finally be able to start doing project's I have in mind. In the mean time it's all theory and conjecture on my part
I really do appreciate the input though.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #6

I do some tinkering. But altering a bolt or carrier just makes me nervous. Again, I don't currently have an SKS, is mostly be afraid if screwing it up.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

D and M model Norinco SKS can change mags without altering the bolt. But they don't use the duck bill mags. They use AK mags.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

I had a Yugo. I modified the bolt. There are videos on YouTube. I wouldn't suggest doing the job yourself unless you really know what you're doing. I'll give you a hint, you only need to remove enough material to clear the feed lips in the closed position.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #9

Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I'm usually one of the ones who says "If you want an AK buy an AK, don't try to turn an SKS into an AK." The SKS works great the way it was designed, for what it was designed to be.
As it sits, the SKS is a GREAT rifle. They have a few things going for them
the AKM can't touch. Like a strong milled receiver, and built-in bayo
longer sight radius, and built-in cleaning kit. And it's surprising how many
folks want to put lipstick
on the pig, by risking reliability of the original unit, in exchange for
a higher capacity mag, and making other questionable mods.

I know I can pick up 19 out of 20 SKSs, in original condition, and they
will fire reliably, every time.

All other things being equal, get a gunsmith to do this. Because years
from now, you'll have lost interest in those stamped AKM POSs, and the
high capacity mags. But you'll regret it,if you wrecked your own SKS,
by taking it too far from original.

Last edited by therewolf; 01-09-2014 at 11:19 PM.
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #10

I haven't lost interest in the "Stamped AKM POS". I like the SKS, but if someone wants to do some dynamic shooting the AK is a better platform.

Some Chinese versions if the AKM have built in Bayos. Each of the AKMs I've encountered have cleaning kits similar to the SKS. And there are milled receiver AKs (AKM is stamped). Of course the "advantage" of the AKM is the lighter weight of stamped receiver and the high capacity of the mag.

I'd say the preference is with the shooter.

Both rifles have their merits.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 01-09-2014 at 11:49 PM.