SKS Anyone... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS Anyone...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I wouldnt take either for hunting 100+ yards.... Also the OP never said anything about hunting, he said he just had fun popping rounds off.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My buddy has a WASR-10/~AK47. We have taken it and my SKS plinking many times and have both compared the two rifles. There isn't very much performance difference at 30 yards or 50 yards; the pit we shoot in doesn't allow for toooo much more distance, so we haven't compared them longer. We did both agree that the SKS feels a bit more "solid" for some reason.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've got a Yugo M70/AK and a Norinco D Type SKS. Both are pretty good shooters for what they are but the Yugo shoots a little better at 100+ yards. But if I was taking one hunting around here anyway the SKS would do just fine. The hills around here make using longer range weapons not as important. But I'd feel pretty confident that I could take up to a 150 yard shot on a deer with my SKS. Most the SKS rifles I've owned or shot have been pretty decent shooters. The bottom line is they are a lot of fun to shoot and ammo isn't too bad priced (yet).

@Warren2: How do you like that bolt cover scope mount? I have one but have had a hell of a time keeping any optic zeroed. It stays pretty close but I get movement.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, he didn't, i did in response to your statement that an AK47 was a better gun than a SKS. I never said the SKS was my hunting gun, you can plainly see above it 3 other rifles far more better as "distance hunting" guns. However, at 75-125 yards the SKS will pretty well hold its own as a small to medium game rifle. The AK47 will not with factory iron sights. Now add a red dot or a scope and it improves greatly.

The AK47 comes into its glory in the mud and muck of the combat field where at full auto it can put out tons of lead fairly quickly and if you drop it in the mud you just pick it up and keep shooting. That is what they were designed for to be used by people with little to no smarts about weapons or how to maintain and clean them. That's why they were built and that is why they have been around so long. Every 5th rate country in the world uses them for exactly those reasons.

Right from the box the SKS is a more accurate rifle than the AK47. Add a 30 round magazine and that puts them on parr pretty much with the AK47 for kicking out the lead. Stick a scope on both and they would probably be fairly evenly matched. You win if both fall in the mud probably...

Old 04-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
We did both agree that the SKS feels a bit more "solid" for some reason.
That's because it is, very solidly built. The 47 feels looser because it is, that is what gives them the ability to fire all day even when dirty as heck. It is also why you get the wiggle when you fire them.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
@Warren2: How do you like that bolt cover scope mount? I have one but have had a hell of a time keeping any optic zeroed. It stays pretty close but I get movement.
I don't mount to the bolt cover. It had one on it when i bought the rifle, but i did not like it so i picked up a Choate scope mount that bolts to the side of the receiver itself. Very sold and sits up high enough that you can still use the iron sights too if you want.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #17

Default A real HOT rifle

I have had a couple for along time I take it to the range and run about twoo hundred rounds thru it in a single day the rifle gets so hot the oil in the wood runs down the side and it smokes off the barrel area .. Yes I know it isnt safe to do that but I figure this was a good battle rifle and they went thru hell in Nam and the only rifle to top it was the AK the SKS was the inbetween the Mossin Nagant and the AK-47 and it was used in Nam and afgan as well it is a good battle rifle not as popualr as the AK because the SKS comes and was always ment for only semi loading I keep one in my bug out trailer for those unforseen emergencys along with about 200 rounds yea they may not be a long range nail driver but it only takes one hit to knock down a man with these suckers and they wont fail you no matter the weather or sloppy cleaning habits....

Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I wouldnt take either for hunting 100+ yards.... Also the OP never said anything about hunting, .
I don't see why not. My yugo SKS was my primary deer and hog rifle until i got my 30-06. I had no problem taking down either deer or boar from 100-200 yards with open sights.
People tend to think that unless you have a high power scoped rifle or some high speed lo drag set up you cannot hunt with a "lesser" rifle. I simply got the 30-06 cheap so thats why I use that for hunting now. i still have my SKS and its a hell of a lot more solid than my Saiga ever was. The Saiga always felt liek it was a toy. The SKS feels solid. the SKS was just a little more accurate thanmy Saiga. not much but it held a tighter pattern.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDennis View Post
I don't see why not. My yugo SKS was my primary deer and hog rifle until i got my 30-06. I had no problem taking down either deer or boar from 100-200 yards with open sights.
People tend to think that unless you have a high power scoped rifle or some high speed lo drag set up you cannot hunt with a "lesser" rifle. I simply got the 30-06 cheap so thats why I use that for hunting now. i still have my SKS and its a hell of a lot more solid than my Saiga ever was. The Saiga always felt liek it was a toy. The SKS feels solid. the SKS was just a little more accurate thanmy Saiga. not much but it held a tighter pattern.
I would have no problem using an SKS as a deer hunting gun up to 150 yards, it is more than accurate enough for that. Anything more than 100 yards i really would need a scope, but i am 72 years old and my eyes are the reason, not the gun. At ranges over 150 yards i would use either my M1a in 308 or my 30-06, again with scope for the same reason i need on on the SKS.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren2 View Post
I would have no problem using an SKS as a deer hunting gun up to 150 yards, it is more than accurate enough for that. Anything more than 100 yards i really would need a scope, but i am 72 years old and my eyes are the reason, not the gun. At ranges over 150 yards i would use either my M1a in 308 or my 30-06, again with scope for the same reason i need on on the SKS.
I bought my Savage for 200$ a billion years ago. While its not the tactical 1000 yard sniper rifle it works well for me. At 72 Im glad to see you still go out hunting. Hope you knock down a 6 pointer this year.
Rob

Newest Threads