Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   SKS Anyone... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/sks-anyone-25023/)

njjohnson 03-23-2010 01:37 AM

SKS Anyone...

So I visited a friends house the other day to help lift a garden tiller out of the back of his truck. I had heard he had a nice collection of guns and wanted to see formyself. Needless to say, he is one of those ex-military guys who has guns just all over his house. He showed me at least 20 guns he had laying around. Also, he estimates his ammunition count to be somewhere between 20,000 to 30,000 rounds in various calibers (pistols, revolvers, and rifles). Well anyway, he showed me his SKS collection. I had never even thought of buying an SKS based mainly on how cheap they can be had for. I mean, you get what you pay for- right? The guy lets me take one home to shoot and see what I thought about it. Ohmagosh! Now, I haven't shot an extensive variety of semi-auto weapons, but I gotta say, wow, this one has the potency of a high-category narcotic. It is flat out addictive to shoot. I went through 50 rounds today, and I think I'm sold. I need this gun.:D

c3shooter 03-23-2010 03:36 AM

The SKS is attractive to a lot of folks for the same reason the M1 Carbine was attractive. light, modest recoil, fun to shoot, cheap, and cheap ammo. However, with the M1 carbine, you can forget about the last two on that list. The price of an SKS has gone up a lot in the last 2 years- and so has the price of ammo. If you want one (or two) get them while they are still cheap. I am old enuff to remember the bottomless OCEAN of CHEEP carbine ammo..And .303 Ammo. And 30-06 ammo. And .45 ammo. And....WHUMP-

Sorry, think that was the bottom of the ocean. :eek:

TrueNorth 03-31-2010 04:32 AM

I think the same way you do. Up here in Canada - I know stores that sell them by the tens. You can buy whole crates of them individually for less then $1500.

And these aren't wholesale places either - just shops that sell them by the crate as well as individually. (why I would need ten I don't know...)

Anyways - I'm not a fan of the whole cheap russian made guns, but I might get one just because its there and affordable! Be careful on the cheap ammo though - up here some of the really cheap stuff is left over from the cold war and is corrosive.

DrumJunkie 03-31-2010 05:43 AM

I bought my first SKS for 50 bucks. I could have got them by the crate and paid 30 (a piece) if I remember right. The last one cost me 200. I still have a Chinese M type now. It's as much fun to shoot as the first one I ever had. I did put it in a Tapco stock but I thin I like them in the old wood as much or more. I plan on getting a couple more before it's said and done. I like to have one Russian and another that will use AK mags. Just makes it great to be able to switch around when shooting "Commie Guns";)

Even with the higher prices they are a blast to shoot. But If you're going to get one the sooner the better. They don't look to be getting any cheaper.

Warren2 04-02-2010 07:07 PM

I've got a couple of the Chicom SKS and i love em. Got one for me and one for the wife as they are low recoil and she can shoot it with no problem. Prices seem to be about $300 around here for a good one. Picked up a couple of the Chicom factory 20 round magazines and they look rather nice on the gun. I have a couple of 30 round banana magazines for mine, but they look kind of weird and a touch ugly on the gun.

Been reloading for them using some Accurate 1680 and some 2015 powder and 125gr FMJSP. Seems to be very good combo and they are quite accurate.

njjohnson 04-02-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren2 (Post 262657)
I've got a couple of the Chicom SKS and i love em. Got one for me and one for the wife as they are low recoil and she can shoot it with no problem. Prices seem to be about $300 around here for a good one. Picked up a couple of the Chicom factory 20 round magazines and they look rather nice on the gun. I have a couple of 30 round banana magazines for mine, but they look kind of weird and a touch ugly on the gun.

Been reloading for them using some Accurate 1680 and some 2015 powder and 125gr FMJSP. Seems to be very good combo and they are quite accurate.

Yeah, the one I may get comes with a 30-rounder, and I'm not too keen on the banana style clips. I'll probably get 20-rounders if I buy the gun. You wouldn't happen to have some pics of yours would ya?

Laufer 04-05-2010 06:54 AM

My passion for the last year has been for the the Enfield #4, the #5 Jungle Carbine and lately also the Yugo Mauser. This virus can never be cured.

The point?
Despite that incurable disease, I just rediscovered the simple fun of my basic, all-original Norinco.
It doesn't need the power of .303 or 8mm to have plenty of its own. Three times in the last two weeks are not enough.

You may be well aware of the higher prices for Russians, and that almost all Yugos have the grenade launcher, but they can reportedly be somehow removed (then it's a rugged carbine), but if not, the Norinco seems like a very practical compromise.

njjohson:
That is a good friend, to loan you a semi-auto rifle!
For about $45, you can add a rear peep, built by Tech Sights, but the cash can buy a fair bit of ammo instead.

Warren2 04-15-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njjohnson (Post 262781)
Yeah, the one I may get comes with a 30-rounder, and I'm not too keen on the banana style clips. I'll probably get 20-rounders if I buy the gun. You wouldn't happen to have some pics of yours would ya?

Here is an older picture, it shows both SKS's with the 20rnd magazines. The top SKS has been changed from a scope to a red dot sight. Got tired of the ejected shells hitting the scope... Vortex red dot is mounted high enough that the iron sights can also be used if needed. Scope was moved to the AR to use for distance varmints.

http://idisk.me.com/jmcgee41/Public/Photos/Rack.jpg

User Name 04-15-2010 02:33 PM

You can get an AK-47 for about 100-150 more. It shoots the same round 7.62x39 but is a better rifle (more fun).

Warren2 04-15-2010 05:26 PM

Depends on what you consider a "better rifle" i would think. If you consider shooting a lot of bullets in a short time of which most will miss the mark then i guess its a good one, but i can do the same with an SKS too. And with the factory iron sights on both rifles i tend to bet the SKS is more accurate. Both are fun guns to shoot, but if i am going hunting at 100+ yards i'll take the SKS any day.