Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > SKS or AK47 which is for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Stripper clips are reeeeeally cheap, and i recently bought 500 rounds of soft point ammo for about $150. That doesn't seem like a bad deal, but a hands-on examination will be important in determining if it is properly functional. The good thing about the semi-local rifle is that you might be able to arrange to meet at a range and run some rounds through it.

I did like that mine came with a bayonet. IIRC, classicarms has some early chinese SKS that are "all milled" but have some ugly wood. http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/chicomsks

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #32

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I love my SKS.
It's accurate, cheap, semi auto, and made out of machined parts, not stamped like the AK (not puttin down the AK, just stating a fact).

Mine is the Yugo M59/66, the one with the grenade launcher. I
Mine is fitted with an ATI fiberglass Druganov style stock (it was on when I got it). I added an aftermarket 30 round magazine, and a clip on bipod. I prefer to keep the bayonet on mine, however most people do not. I personally don't like rails all over guns, but you can get rails to mount a scope on top or even *shudders* rails for the front.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

SKS - The Russians invented them and have meade them longer than anyone else. The Russians are "authentic". The Russians are true military surplus with all the dings and wear you would expect from a Milsurp rifle. Chrome lined barrels are a plus.

Yugos are also true Milsurp rifles and tend to really show it. I have seen many that were beat up. I have also seen many of them with faulty gas systems from corrosive ammo. They are no chrome lined and if not cleaned properly, they will have problems with the bore and the gas system. In general, I would put them pretty low on the desirability list. They look cooler, but are much more prone to have issues.

Chinese. 99% of the Chinese SKS's are Norinco made specifically for the US market. They are NOT Milsurp, they were purpose built for the US market. WTS, they are generally good shooters. Accurate and reliable. Less wear and tear. They DO have chrome lined bores.

AK's - None are "true AK's". They are all semi-auto rifles made for export to the US. They are NOT converted assault rifles or Milsurp (once a machine gun, always a machine gun in the eyes of the ATF). Most are based on the AKM design (stamped receiver). Occasionally you will find one based on the AK-47 (milled receiver). The Milled versions I have seen are exceptionally accurate for an AK.

There are a number of "converted" rifles available. The Saiga is a sporterized (neutered) AKM. Several companies have converted them to AK configuration with forward pistol grips, folding stocks and high cap/double stack magazine capability. Most have chrome line bores (except of course the Yugo's). Lancaster, Arsenal and several others make very nice versions with new US made receivers and some new US made parts. Stay away from the Century builds. The monkeys at Century (CAI, sometimes referred to as CIA) have been known to have the gun building accuity of a third grader. Granted, Century gets it right from time to time. They just are not taking the chance with.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #34

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Go with the yugo they stand out unlike the rest you can use it the grenade launcher as a golf ball launcher if you buy the adapter with blank cartridges or shoot molotovs!! fireworks ect other varient sks dont have this feature

Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #35

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Go with the yugo they stand out unlike the rest you can use it the grenade launcher as a golf ball launcher if you buy the adapter with blank cartridges or shoot molotovs!! fireworks ect other varient sks dont have this feature
Great advice.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #36

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock View Post
Great advice.
My thoughts exactly. Also I found a couple SKS's on gunbroker going $100-$200 they do have surface rust but no rust inside of the gun itself. How would I get rid of the rust if I get one of them?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #37

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
<snip>

Chinese. 99% of the Chinese SKS's are Norinco made specifically for the US market. They are NOT Milsurp, they were purpose built for the US market. WTS, they are generally good shooters. Accurate and reliable. Less wear and tear. They DO have chrome lined bores.

<snip>

The monkeys at Century (CAI, sometimes referred to as CIA) have been known to have the gun building accuity of a third grader. Granted, Century gets it right from time to time. They just are not taking the chance with.
Actually North China Industries is kinda/sorta the marketing front for Red China's PLA. They sell everything the Red Chinese arsenals can make from hunting shotguns and .22 rifles to guided missiles and tanks. Anything to pump cash into the CHICOM economy. I'd bet if we arranged it, we could get the Chinese to make M4 Sherman tanks for us.

Anyway, Norinco, plus many privateer importers - like Navy Arms, Century, Kengs Firearm's "PolyTech" - brought in scads of CHICOM MILSURP SKSs when China opened their bunkers to exchange obsolete milsurp SKSs for the influx of USD$.

They already had their version of AKs in service, so the old unused/barely used SKSs - even those once in the hands of local police militias - were deemed obsolete and wasting space. Much like the USA deemed our M1 Garands obsolete. Their disposal of SKSs were our gain at like $50.00-$80.00 each in the 80's.

Along the way, some importers arranged to have some of these milsurp SKSs built into USA-consumer configs, such as the "Cowboy's Companion", "Paratrooper", and who cares what else.

No worries with any CHICOM SKS - you are getting a real-deal military-grade SKS.

Now with Century Arms....

It all depends on who the subcontracters were that Cent used to build a run of guns. They are all about the buck, so the lowest bidder wins. Some subs have enough pride to insure they do at least a decent job, other subs are Maronda Homes-grade builders..

Century will throw out a contract for say, 1000 C93s to be be built from 1000 HK33 part-sets for a cost not to exceed $X.00 bucks - and whoever is desperate enough to keep their operation open, bites on the bait to win the contract.

Lowest bidder wins the deal, and as fast as they hand the assembled guns over to Century to sell is as fast as they get paid.

Corners get cut, materials are misused, shortcuts are taken.

You get C93s with incomplete welds, improperly fitted barrells, bed-liner paint-jobs, mis-aligned parts, guns packed with build-gunk, poor-fitting hand-grips.

Century guns are ALWAYS a gamble. Cent would rather pay for warranty repairs - which they can ding the subcontractors for, than pay for a quality job right from the get-go. Not everyone knows enough to complain...

Fortunately, the WASRS are made in Romania, so Centurys only involvment is having the guns hi-capped and made 922-compliant.

Last edited by nfafan; 12-02-2012 at 05:38 AM.